I hate to tell you this about Caribbean Beach Resort...

disneydiva72

My cousin just came back from her trip, and her, her husband and her two kids all had to go to the Doctor for welts they had all over their bodies, UGGHHH it was bed bug bites! She was freaked because she had no experience with bed bugs before and she said the itching was crazy and had NO CLUE what the welts were.

She complained to the hotel and spoke to the manager. But I'm afraid that the resort will do nothing about it....I really like the Caribbean Beach but now I don't want to stay there!

I took a small flashlight with me on my last trip in Jan/Feb at Port Orleans, b/c i had heard of a similar problem there. I checked the mattresses, behind the headboards etc, as soon as we got into the room. I was extremely freaked out, especially going to sleep that first night, but our room turned out ok. I will continue to check the room as soon as we get there from now on. I am also kind of a clean freak, i bring my own Lysol wipes and wipe the entire room down too!

Upvote 0

sublim5450

As a pest control operator i can tell you that bed bugs are not uncommon anymore. In rare cases they can take awhile to get rid of but i have been doing this for 10 years and I have never charged more then a few hundered dollars and had to make more then 2 or 3 visits and they were only really to make sure the problems were gone. I wouldn't go crazy over bed bugs that may or may not be in a resort. if they have them or not I'm sure Disney would take a chance and have the rooms looked at right away. Hopefully this will help some but i do know this itchy feeling you get when you think about it, you should try being in the house with flea's and bed bugs then you will really feel itchy.

"It is likely that bed bugs are the most commonly known ectoparasites to humans. Nearly every child has heard the reminder, “Sleep tight. Don’t let the bed bugs bite!” Prior to World War II, bed bugs were fairly common in homes. Due to the introduction of modern pest control products in the 1940s, this insect faded from the American scene, and has only recently reappeared as a unique pest problem in buildings. These parasites are blood feeders, and they crawl into beds during the night while their victims are sleeping. The bite is painless and a number of bed bugs may feed for an extended period of time on any area of exposed skin. The resulting bite wound may show generalized minor swelling into a raised bump followed by itching. Fortunately, bed bugs do not carry or transmit any human disease, but the mere presence of any blood-feeding insect is disconcerting, at best. Eggs are deposited in small cracks in the bed frame, mattress seams, or in baseboards, trim or furniture near the bed. The nymphs and the adults reside near one another, hiding in such cracks awaiting nightfall when they might venture out to feed. In some cases, the offending bed bugs are harboring many feet from the bed in cracks in furniture, baseboards, doorframes, or even within voids in the wall. If populations become large, or when a host becomes scarce because no one sleeps in the bed for a period of time, bed bugs may crawl into other rooms or squeeze through walls to enter neighboring locations. They may also be transported from place to place hiding in furniture"

bedbug.jpg

Upvote 0

Elonwy

:p
As a pest control operator i can tell you that bed bugs are not uncommon anymore. In rare cases they can take awhile to get rid of but i have been doing this for 10 years and I have never charged more then a few hundered dollars and had to make more then 2 or 3 visits and they were only really to make sure the problems were gone. I wouldn't go crazy over bed bugs that may or may not be in a resort. if they have them or not I'm sure Disney would take a chance and have the rooms looked at right away. Hopefully this will help some but i do know this itchy feeling you get when you think about it, you should try being in the house with flea's and bed bugs then you will really feel itchy.

"It is likely that bed bugs are the most commonly known ectoparasites to humans. Nearly every child has heard the reminder, “Sleep tight. Don’t let the bed bugs bite!” Prior to World War II, bed bugs were fairly common in homes. Due to the introduction of modern pest control products in the 1940s, this insect faded from the American scene, and has only recently reappeared as a unique pest problem in buildings. These parasites are blood feeders, and they crawl into beds during the night while their victims are sleeping. The bite is painless and a number of bed bugs may feed for an extended period of time on any area of exposed skin. The resulting bite wound may show generalized minor swelling into a raised bump followed by itching. Fortunately, bed bugs do not carry or transmit any human disease, but the mere presence of any blood-feeding insect is disconcerting, at best. Eggs are deposited in small cracks in the bed frame, mattress seams, or in baseboards, trim or furniture near the bed. The nymphs and the adults reside near one another, hiding in such cracks awaiting nightfall when they might venture out to feed. In some cases, the offending bed bugs are harboring many feet from the bed in cracks in furniture, baseboards, doorframes, or even within voids in the wall. If populations become large, or when a host becomes scarce because no one sleeps in the bed for a period of time, bed bugs may crawl into other rooms or squeeze through walls to enter neighboring locations. They may also be transported from place to place hiding in furniture"

bedbug.jpg

glad to see a pest expert on the board (please don't try to get rid of me, I'm sarcastic but harmless, I promise) :lookaroun

so what can we do at home (or if we stay in a hotel) to keep the bedbug population down. Are there any types of sprays or anything that the average consumer can buy to get rid of bedbugs?

Any tips on preventing them from entering our houses?

I plan on just moving every 4-6 weeks hoping they can't find me :)

Upvote 0

Daneault

I can however think of a special group of Canadians that are commonly known to have unsavory cleaning habits, you know the ones located just to north of Maine USA, so you becareful who puts who back 50 years in the civil rights market. Now drop that bever tail and finish up your poutine before you got to bed.

We are commonly know to have unsavory cleaning habits :veryconfu
I would disagree... but if it's a common knowledge.. i suppose I just have to resign myself and live like a dirty french canadian that I am :brick:

Btw thanks for making such nice publicity on my Province. Ever been to Quebec?

Upvote 0

Raven66

I've never been biten by bed bugs, but I have been biten by chiggers. Those bites are awful. And they usually like to get you in a place where you don't want to be caught scratching in public..:eek:

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I've never been biten by bed bugs, but I have been biten by chiggers. Those bites are awful. And they usually like to get you in a place where you don't want to be caught scratching in public..:eek:

Oh chiggers are nasty, as are deer ticks. Can you say Lyme Disease (knocks on wood).

-dave

Upvote 0

Elonwy

I would disagree... but if it's a common knowledge.. i suppose I just have to resign myself and live like a dirty french canadian that I am :brick:

Hey Daneault...don't worry about him he was actually trying to insult Nova Scotia. Obviously he's never seen a map of Canada or he doesn't know ANYTHING east of Manitoba.

He's actually from Alberta apparently but I guess he's had too many sleepless nights with his special gal Daisy (can you say mooooooo) and he's a little off his rocker

Tell you what, since you're apparently dirty, :shrug: I'll send you a bar of soap and you can send him a map of Canada and I'm sure he'll just send me poorly thought out insults and we'll all be even.

Would you like strawberry soap or coconut?

Upvote 0

sublim5450

:p

glad to see a pest expert on the board (please don't try to get rid of me, I'm sarcastic but harmless, I promise) :lookaroun

so what can we do at home (or if we stay in a hotel) to keep the bedbug population down. Are there any types of sprays or anything that the average consumer can buy to get rid of bedbugs?

Any tips on preventing them from entering our houses?

I plan on just moving every 4-6 weeks hoping they can't find me :)

Try this site it should answer most questions about bed bugs.
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/bedbugs/

Upvote 0

Daneault

He's actually from Alberta apparently but I guess he's had too many sleepless nights with his special gal Daisy (can you say mooooooo) and he's a little off his rocker

Tell you what, since you're apparently dirty, :shrug: I'll send you a bar of soap and you can send him a map of Canada and I'm sure he'll just send me poorly thought out insults and we'll all be even.

Would you like strawberry soap or coconut?

Lol Coconut please :D

Upvote 0
Everyone just calm down a tad. Theres bed bugs all over the place and your taking a risk of having them by just going to any hotel. Even Disney. Its not a terribly big deal. If you run into it...just let Disney know. Now if they manager treats you poorly (which sounds like the case with the OP), ask to speak to someone else and give em hell :fork:

Upvote 0

hokielutz

Everyone just calm down a tad. Theres bed bugs all over the place and your taking a risk of having them by just going to any hotel. Even Disney. Its not a terribly big deal. If you run into it...just let Disney know. Now if they manager treats you poorly (which sounds like the case with the OP), ask to speak to someone else and give em hell :fork:

There are ways to check for the little buggars before you wake up with welts. Just do some due diligence before you settle into the room.

Upvote 0

jmicro59

Yep I have, been ther ain't going back, EVER.
Aren't you guys ever going to secede or can't you get that right too??

Upvote 0

Elonwy

Hi Daneault...just thought I'd post a friendly hello here from your fellow Canadians on the board :wave:

I sent you a private message...so have a look.

and...actually pertaining to the thread I have decided, that bedbugs like bitter tastes and I am sweet so I am no longer worried about them :):animwink:

Upvote 0

Erika

Sublim5450, your post was extremely helpful. Thank you :)

As to the rest of the thread, the bugs are starting to look not so bad compared to some of the other comments. Ease up, please.

Upvote 0

Erika

I had a tick one time after hiking. UGH! I was paranoid for a long time after that :eek: :lol:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom