I hate to tell you this about Caribbean Beach Resort...

disneydiva72

My cousin just came back from her trip, and her, her husband and her two kids all had to go to the Doctor for welts they had all over their bodies, UGGHHH it was bed bug bites! She was freaked because she had no experience with bed bugs before and she said the itching was crazy and had NO CLUE what the welts were.

She complained to the hotel and spoke to the manager. But I'm afraid that the resort will do nothing about it....I really like the Caribbean Beach but now I don't want to stay there!

ExDisneyEmploye

I read this in another review. I'm staying there in less than two weeks. The fact that they spoke to a manager and NOTHING was done sounds very UN-Disney to me. :( Shame on that manager.

Upvote 0

lpet11984

Ugh, that is terrible! I feel sorry for them- I can't imagine it is in anyway a pleasant experience. It's too bad because it is a beautiful resort, howerver I fear it is going a bit down hill...

Upvote 0

Cynderella

I HATE bed bugs!! I had a run in with them at a motel in wildwood (which doesnt surprise me) but Disney?! And we are supposed to stay there in September! :lookaroun maybe not anymore

Upvote 0

PurpleDragon

I would suggest people who visit WDWMagic who are planning to stay at CBR, call and request a new resort, and be sure to mention the reviews you read about bed bugs at the resort as the reason for not staying there.

I think if they realize that this issue is causing the resort to lose money, maybe they will take it more seriously. :mad: Bed bugs are no joke and should be taken seriously because they can spread like wildfire in little no time. However taking care of something like that means spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on replacing all the beds in the resort which is costly but worth it IMO.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

What did she expect the manager to do? Was this at the beginning of their stay, middle or end? There has been an epidemic of sorts with bedbugs and they are everywhere, from the cheapest motel to 5 star resorts (its a cyclical thing), heck you can even get them at home and it doesn't matter how clean you are.

There was a thread not too long ago on this very subject. I'm sure Disney is very aware of the problem and is taking care of it, you just may not see them in action.

Upvote 0

bgraham34

What everyone has to understand with the value of the dollar falling you are getting more international tourist in Disney World. Because of that some people around the world dont maintain the same hygiene as most Americans do.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

I would suggest people who visit WDWMagic who are planning to stay at CBR, call and request a new resort, and be sure to mention the reviews you read about bed bugs at the resort as the reason for not staying there.

I think if they realize that this issue is causing the resort to lose money, maybe they will take it more seriously. :mad: Bed bugs are no joke and should be taken seriously because they can spread like wildfire in little no time. However taking care of something like that means spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on replacing all the beds in the resort which is costly but worth it IMO.

You don't need to replace all of the beds, everything needs to be stripped down and linens washed in the hottest water possible and the room needs to be steam cleaned.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

They will not have to go to that extent as there are less extreme ways to get rid of them. Also just replacing the mattresses does not always get rid of them. The rooms will need to be stripped to the walls and steam cleaned and treated with inceticide. If possible they will need to raise the temperature in the rooms to 120 degrees or greater for several hours to guarantee a kill of all the eggs.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

What everyone has to understand with the value of the dollar falling you are getting more international tourist in Disney World. Because of that some people around the world dont maintain the same hygiene as most Americans do.

Clean people get bedbugs as well as those who are not so clean.

Upvote 0

kjd469

gimme a break...that's the most ridiculous statement I've heard in a long time!:(

Upvote 0

PurpleDragon

You are right it doesn't take replacing the mattresses to get rid of bedbugs, but they are a b%&$# to get rid of since they can hide in every crack and crevice imaginable.

But yes just treating, steam cleaning, and overall disinfecting the room would do wonders. Hopefully they are doing that now, but there is no way of knowing since thats not something WDW would broadcast.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

It has nothing to do with how clean or unclean you are. Bedbugs are not roaches, they don't eat garbage, they drink blood. As long as you have blood in your body you are in equal opportunity meal in the eyes of a bedbug.

The real reason for the spread of bed bugs has to do with treatment options. It's a double edged sword. In the interest of public safety, we have banned the harsh poisions that used to be available as insect controll methods. Thats all well and good, they were very harsh. However, now it's a lot harder to contoll infestation. Bedbugs are notoriously difficult to kill, especially with whats available as pest control now.

They also hitch rides and migrate quite easily, thats why they spread. It could Disney, it could be Hyatt, it could be Motel 6, it could be the Hot Sheet Special. They all can get bed bugs. However, I am quite frankly suprized at WDW Management's lack of some sort of compensation offer.

Bed bugs like cracks and crevices. If you want to check, look along the headboard where it meets the wall, also along the edge of the mattress, where the rolled edge is. Look for little black dots - thats bed bug ________. Spraying the place with lysol or any other contact diseinfectant will not help. The bed bugs are hiding, the lysol will not get to them. It's when there is a quite, warm, body laying there that they come out.

As far as staying in SSR - thats most likely now the most bed bug free resort. As a problem has been identified and now its been treated :)

-dave

Upvote 0

mouselvrmom

It has nothing to do with how clean or unclean you are. Bedbugs are not roaches, they don't eat garbage, they drink blood. As long as you have blood in your body you are in equal opportunity meal in the eyes of a bedbug.

The real reason for the spread of bed bugs has to do with treatment options. It's a double edged sword. In the interest of public safety, we have banned the harsh poisions that used to be available as insect controll methods. Thats all well and good, they were very harsh. However, now it's a lot harder to contoll infestation. Bedbugs are notoriously difficult to kill, especially with whats available as pest control now.

They also hitch rides and migrate quite easily, thats why they spread. It could Disney, it could be Hyatt, it could be Motel 6, it could be the Hot Sheet Special. They all can get bed bugs. However, I am quite frankly suprized at WDW Management's lack of some sort of compensation offer.

Bed bugs like cracks and crevices. If you want to check, look along the headboard where it meets the wall, also along the edge of the mattress, where the rolled edge is. Look for little black dots - thats bed bug ________. Spraying the place with lysol or any other contact diseinfectant will not help. The bed bugs are hiding, the lysol will not get to them. It's when there is a quite, warm, body laying there that they come out.

As far as staying in SSR - thats most likely now the most bed bug free resort. As a problem has been identified and now its been treated :)

-dave

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I've never had any contact with bed bugs before. But that's just gross. :eek: I'm now always going to be checking for bed bug ____. :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

carenyllie

Could it have anything to do with all of that pool construction? I thought I heard recently of the Contemporary having bed bugs too and they are constructing over there too. Though I've not heard about Animal Kingdom.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom