I found a real eye opening article about WDI

disneyfamily

AndyMagic said:
EE also comes to a complete stop and lets you stare at a plastic bird for a good 10 seconds and then stops again makes you look at a tv screen for 10 seconds. Subtract both that and the pointless 30 second journey around a barran landscape in the beginning before the lift hill and the true ride is about a minute long. Furthermore, if you actually read my post I hailed the queue and the village already so there is no point yammering about it. I'm well aware everything AROUND Everest is full of detail. I'm saying the mountain itself has nothing of interest to look at until the Yeti and then the ride is over.

You are indeed correct about the stopping on Everest, but BTMR has you clicking and clacking up three sets of chains for short drops. That has got to take at least 30 seconds of actual ride time.
I dont think anyone will convince you otherwise, maybe the more you ride it the more you will discover. Who's to say they dont add more detail as the ride ages.

Ghostbuster626

Original Poster
disneyfamily said:
You are indeed correct about the stopping on Everest, but BTMR has you clicking and clacking up three sets of chains for short drops. That has got to take at least 30 seconds of actual ride time.
I dont think anyone will convince you otherwise, maybe the more you ride it the more you will discover. Who's to say they dont add more detail as the ride ages.

so? I love clinking and clacking up lifts and going down short drops thats part of the attractions charm!

TimeTrip

While we're on the topic of E:E, I've been under the impression that people think the storyline behind the queue and the ride is awesome. However, I've never really heard an explanation why. You're on a tea leaf train, and the yeti stalks you. What else am I missing?

Ghostbuster626

Original Poster
TimeTrip said:
While we're on the topic of E:E, I've been under the impression that people think the storyline behind the queue and the ride is awesome. However, I've never really heard an explanation why. You're on a tea leaf train, and the yeti stalks you. What else am I missing?

It has the exact same story as the Matterhorn the only difference is they tied it into real world cryptozoology. Although even the Matterhorn includes 2 encounters with a Yeti AA so at least you get your money's worth. A split second encounter with the EE yeti that is sometimes working, sometimes not...is not worth waiting over 60 minutes for.

Tim G

IMO this whole column hasn't got anything to do what ride is faster, longer, shorter or what takes more or less space etc.etc...

I've got the idea, that some, did not quite got the message....

peter11435

Ghostbuster626 said:
It has the exact same story as the Matterhorn the only difference is they tied it into real world cryptozoology. Although even the Matterhorn includes 2 encounters with a Yeti AA so at least you get your money's worth. A split second encounter with the EE yeti that is sometimes working, sometimes not...is not worth waiting over 60 minutes for.
The stroy is entirely different than the Matterhorn. The matterhorn barely even has a story at all. Not to mention I would hardly call the Yeti's in the Matterhorn AA. The are really only figures. Also the Yeti is working more then he isn't. I have been on the ride 14 times now and he was working for 12.

yensidtlaw1969

TimeTrip said:

AVAST YE MATEYS, THERE BE SPOILERS AHEAD! DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES!!!

Uhh, sorry, I had to do it. Anyway, Spoiler alert to anyone who doesn't want to know the plot of EE.

Well, it used to be a tea leaf train, but then some mountaineering company refurbished it and created a base camp near the top of Everest. The train was retracked to take you straight to Everest, so there was very little climbing involved and then you'd plant your flag at the top. They were basically trying to make it more efficient. Anyway, you're there as team Expedition: Everest, and you're going to the base camp by train then planting your flag.

The queue takes you through the town of Serka Zong, which is ofcourse at the base of the Himalayas. The people of Serka Zong, however, do not approve of this Expedition, because of the Yeti which they have feared for years lives in Forbidden Mountain, a mountain in the Himalayan range that we must pass through to get to Everest. They are fearful that we will disturb the yeti and he will wreak havoc ok the town of Serka Zong, and that we will destroy the peace they have worked for so long to achieve.

But we, being the adventurous types, don't listen to the people pf Serka Zong, because the Yeti is "Just a myth" and ofcourse doesn't exist . . .

. . . So we are walk through the queue and see artifacts that have been recovered from past trips to Everest and learn some o fthe history of Everest and its Mountaineers, and ofcourse about the Legend of the Yeti.

We then board our train and with a puff of steam start chugging happily along in out equipment-filled "Steam Donkey" toward Everest. We pass some of the sparse vegetaion of Serka Zong (wood is not abundant here, and is placed on the roof of the people's houses as a sign of wealth -- the more wood you have the richer you are) and start to climb a lift to the Himalayas. We pass through shrine, built by the people of Serka Zong, that honors the yeti, where they regularly place offerings to keep peace with this fierce creature. We reach the mountain, and start twisting and turning through the Forbidden mountain on our way to Everest, when we encounter a problem. The track has been torn up! We see torn up prayer flags and see vultures and Giant footprints, which all indicate something went horribly wrong here (although the ripped up track is enough to send us that message). We cannot go foreward, as is intended, so where else can we go? We go backward.

As we make our way through the mountain we come to a stop, as the shodaw of a large creature is shown on the wall of the cave in front of us. The creature growls and tears up the track behind us, so we cannot go on as we were. Now, we must go foreward! We do, and we fly out of the front of the mountain, down 80 feet and return to the mountain (don't ask me why, this is ofcourse more for thrill reasons) , and we tear through the icy caverns of the Himalayas in search of a safe way out. We shoot out of the back of the mountain and into a double helix (again, thrill reasons) and back into a cave. We start to slow, and feel a slight sense of security, as we turn the corner.

We see the massive creature that was Silhouetted on the cave earlier. It's the Yeti!!! This creature is hige and has gnarled track in one fist, and as we move closer he swipes at us with the other, angered that we have entered his territory.

We Fly though a cave behind him and out of the mountain, where we return to the mountain village of Serka Zong, thankful for our lives and more aware of what happens when you disturb animals and there habitat.

Spoiler End.

Yensid "Hope that helps!" tlaw1969

yensidtlaw1969

Ghostbuster626 said:
If you count the glowing eyes on the lift, it's 3 encounters, but Whatever. Harold, the ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN (he is NOT a Yeti, and I absolutely hate it when people make that mistake, especially because a Yeti is nothing like an abominable snowman) of the Matterhorn, is a largely static figure , though he does have arms that raise and lower -- quite an intense encounter!!!:rolleyes:. He has gleaming white fur, and after seeing pictures of the yeti I feel the best word for him is Majestic (atleast his fur -- it would look suitable on a unicorn. That's how nice looking and clean it is). He is barely six feet tall at best and you encounter him for a total of 4 seconds at best (not each, both!). So really, you should count your blessings. EE is much different.

Yensidtlaw1969

Merlin

Account Suspended
yensidtlaw1969 said:
AVAST YE MATEYS, THERE BE SPOILERS AHEAD! DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES!!!

Uhh, sorry, I had to do it. Anyway, Spoiler alert to anyone who doesn't want to know the plot of EE.

Well, it used to be a tea leaf train, but then some mountaineering company refurbished it and created a base camp near the top of Everest. The train was retracked to take you straight to Everest, so there was very little climbing involved and then you'd plant your flag at the top. They were basically trying to make it more efficient. Anyway, you're there as team Expedition: Everest, and you're going to the base camp by train then planting your flag.

The queue takes you through the town of Serka Zong, which is ofcourse at the base of the Himalayas. The people of Serka Zong, however, do not approve of this Expedition, because of the Yeti which they have feared for years lives in Forbidden Mountain, a mountain in the Himalayan range that we must pass through to get to Everest. They are fearful that we will disturb the yeti and he will wreak havoc ok the town of Serka Zong, and that we will destroy the peace they have worked for so long to achieve.

But we, being the adventurous types, don't listen to the people pf Serka Zong, because the Yeti is "Just a myth" and ofcourse doesn't exist . . .

. . . So we are walk through the queue and see artifacts that have been recovered from past trips to Everest and learn some o fthe history of Everest and its Mountaineers, and ofcourse about the Legend of the Yeti.

We then board our train and with a puff of steam start chugging happily along in out equipment-filled "Steam Donkey" toward Everest. We pass some of the sparse vegetaion of Serka Zong (wood is not abundant here, and is placed on the roof of the people's houses as a sign of wealth -- the more wood you have the richer you are) and start to climb a lift to the Himalayas. We pass through shrine, built by the people of Serka Zong, that honors the yeti, where they regularly place offerings to keep peace with this fierce creature. We reach the mountain, and start twisting and turning through the Forbidden mountain on our way to Everest, when we encounter a problem. The track has been torn up! We see torn up prayer flags and see vultures and Giant footprints, which all indicate something went horribly wrong here (although the ripped up track is enough to send us that message). We cannot go foreward, as is intended, so where else can we go? We go backward.

As we make our way through the mountain we come to a stop, as the shodaw of a large creature is shown on the wall of the cave in front of us. The creature growls and tears up the track behind us, so we cannot go on as we were. Now, we must go foreward! We do, and we fly out of the front of the mountain, down 80 feet and return to the mountain (don't ask me why, this is ofcourse more for thrill reasons) , and we tear through the icy caverns of the Himalayas in search of a safe way out. We shoot out of the back of the mountain and into a double helix (again, thrill reasons) and back into a cave. We start to slow, and feel a slight sense of security, as we turn the corner.

We see the massive creature that was Silhouetted on the cave earlier. It's the Yeti!!! This creature is hige and has gnarled track in one fist, and as we move closer he swipes at us with the other, angered that we have entered his territory.

We Fly though a cave behind him and out of the mountain, where we return to the mountain village of Serka Zong, thankful for our lives and more aware of what happens when you disturb animals and there habitat.

Spoiler End.

Yensid "Hope that helps!" tlaw1969

So how is it that, if we're on a train track, we're able to suddenly decide, "Oh no, the creature's after us, let's go this way instead!"

peter11435

Merlin said:
So how is it that, if we're on a train track, we're able to suddenly decide, "Oh no, the creature's after us, let's go this way instead!"
Most trains can travel backwards and most train tracks have switch tracks.

disneyfamily

This is what confounds me. For the last 5 years all anyone has been griping about is how AK needs a new thrill ride. So WDI builds a 200' tall mountain,state of the art rollercoaster the can do 55mph, and backwards and in the dark. They also put in a next gen animatronic and build a Nepalian village to theme out the place, and that doesn't impress you? Would you like it better if they had more animatronics around the ride? Maybe some dancing shirpas and a singing goat or two?

Maybe my expectations were too low, or yours too high. But, myself having a construction background, am truley in awe the hard work and imagination they put into Everest. Honestly, you would have thought they put in a meet and greet or a crappy simulator ride by some of the reactions I've seen.

I have ridden the best coasters Florida has to offer and I had the same feeling coming off Everest as I did coming of Shiekra. (then again I had that feeling coming of Goofy's Barnstormers)

GothMickey

Long time lurker, first time poster.

You guys rock. I read the article, some valid points, but, believe me when I tell you that the reporter did not use facts. He used things he heard, JIM HILL MEDIA?? Yea credible source.

By the way.. you want inside information? Listen to the things I have to tell you. However, seeing the way you never tend to believe people regarding their rumors and reports, I am afraid to post them.

Merlin

Account Suspended
peter11435 said:
Most trains can travel backwards and most train tracks have switch tracks.

I understand that, but that doesn't answer my question. Trains don't generally do that in response to a creature chasing it. And no one is at the controls of the train, so what...the PASSENGERS are causing it to change directions??

yensidtlaw1969

Merlin said:
I understand that, but that doesn't answer my question. Trains don't generally do that in response to a creature chasing it. And no one is at the controls of the train, so what...the PASSENGERS are causing it to change directions??
Why does Big Thuner Mountain have so many drops and wide banked turns that wouldn't be there for a real mine train? Why does no one gripe about that? Suspension of Disbelief. It's always more fun to believe. ALWAYS.

Yensid "Yes, I truly do believe in Santa Claus. I've see him myself (not in the mall!). I don't understand anyone who doesn't believe in him." tlaw1969

Merlin

Account Suspended
yensidtlaw1969 said:
Why does Big Thuner Mountain have so many drops and wide banked turns that wouldn't be there for a real mine train? Why does no one gripe about that? Suspension of Disbelief. It's always more fun to believe. ALWAYS.

So in other words, it makes no sense. Yeah, pretty much the answer I was expecting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom