I found a real eye opening article about WDI

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I see all WDW has is two field offices for WDI. Maybe, you guys will have to spring for a week at DLR as well. Then I couldspend my time snooping around the Glendale offices. I'll let you know when I get back from my first fact finding trip.

Ghostbuster626

Original Poster
STR8FAN2005 said:
Star Tours??? Surely you jest.

Not really. Have you seen how detailed the queue is?? Ive been on the ride a billion times and im still noticing new details in there and the level of details in the ride film itself is amazing you got everything from the ATIS microscope, starfighters dogfighting everywhere and George Lucas's cameo at the end.

peter11435

Iakona said:
Also, from every review I have seen the que for EE is awesome.
Exactly. I notice new things at Everest every time I ride. So to say it is not as detailed or complex as Splash or Star Tours is just plain wrong.

disneyfamily

Ghostbuster626 said:
I think the author was just trying to illustrate that expedition: everest lacks the complexity of such rides as Splash Mountain and

This sounded like a credible statement until right about here. Above this a reasonable statement. Below this, not so much.

Ghostbuster626 said:
Star Tours which are rides where you discover a new detail every time you ride them.

disneyfamily

peter11435 said:
Maybe not the ride, but the queue is great.

I was commenting on the whole statement. To say Everest isn't as complex a ride as Splash Mountain or "Star Tours" is preposterus. I can't fathom how silly saying something like that is. Aside from M:S or ToT or TT, Everest must be one of the most complex rides at WDW

Ghostbuster626

Original Poster
disneyfamily said:
I was commenting on the whole statement. To say Everest isn't as complex a ride as Splash Mountain or "Star Tours" is preposterus. I can't fathom how silly saying something like that is. Aside from M:S or ToT or TT, Everest must be one of the most complex rides at WDW

Im not talking about the technology behind the ride which the general public doesnt care about. I was talking about the stuff that guests will see and appriciate.

disneyfamily

Ghostbuster626 said:
Im not talking about the technology behind the ride which the general public doesnt care about. I was talking about the stuff that guests will see and appriciate.

I disagree, I think most people like to know how things work and the more complex something is the more we seem to enjoy it. Knowing that each car on Test Track has the same computing power (or so I've heard) as the space shuttle is cool. As far as themeing, how can you top Everest? Have you actually looked inside the ride que buildings, you could spend an afternoon in there just looking at all that stuff.

Oh well, I'll take the 200' mountain covered in snow over a big metal shed with a cardboard cutout of an ATAT anyday.

kiawahman

Account Suspended
I've been pleased with WDI's latest creations with the exception of Stitch and even then I am thinking they would have done something better if they had a bigger budget. I think WDI's proof is in the pudding.

Ghostbuster626

Original Poster
Brian Noble said:
I can only assume you haven't visited the Everest queue then, or even seen pictures of it.

I haven't visted Everest although I am aware it has a magnificent queue however the ride itself is pretty bare bones (Im not trying to bash it or anything...im just saying). What im trying to say is there isnt a whole lot of action going on in the environment aside from the fact that its a roller coaster.

peter11435

disneyfamily said:
Oh I agree. Everest is far and away better than Star Tours. I was just saying that Star Yours has a great queue.

disneyfamily

Ghostbuster626 said:
I haven't visted Everest although I am aware it has a magnificent queue however the ride itself is pretty bare bones (Im not trying to bash it or anything...im just saying). What im trying to say is there isnt a whole lot of action going on in the environment aside from the fact that its a roller coaster.

Ghostbuster626, I think you should reserve judgment until you have ridden the ride yourself. I think you will be quite pleased with it. It is far from bare boned. There is a lot of story telling going on, to the observant eye.

AndyMagic

disneyfamily said:
There is a lot of story telling going on, to the observant eye.
Not for nothing but there is more storytelling in the Teacups ride at Magic Kingdom than on Everest. This is an exageration of course but only slightly. Everest is without a doubt the worst execution of a great idea in the history of WDI. You have a huge mountain, a Yeti, and a train that switches direction. BRILLIANT so far. Ok what else? Oh wait... there is nothing else. It is just an incredibly short underwhelming coaster ride within a show building that looks pretty from the outside and looks like a warehouse on the inside. Big Thunder Mountain actually has an interesting landscape while you are riding it. Everest is just caverns and trees. Furthermore, the "story" is subtle to the point of being cryptic. I don't mind subtle stories when you are bombarded with sensory overload like in such classics as Pirates, Haunted Mansion etc. Those don't necessarily follow a distinct story but they involve you otherwise in an experience. Everest doesn't tell a compelling story, it doesn't give you much to look at, and finally it isn't all that thrilling. The entire area surrounding Everest is beautiful but the ride itself is like being served Mcdonalds in a fancy New York Restaurant. The concept is there but the meat at the heart of the experience ain't so great. Just my thoughts.

Ghostbuster626

Original Poster
AndyMagic said:
Not for nothing but there is more storytelling in the Teacups ride at Magic Kingdom than on Everest. This is an exageration of course but only slightly. Everest is without a doubt the worst execution of a great idea in the history of WDI. You have a huge mountain, a Yeti, and a train that switches direction. BRILLIANT so far. Ok what else? Oh wait... there is nothing else. It is just an incredibly short underwhelming coaster ride within a show building that looks pretty from the outside and looks like a warehouse on the inside. Big Thunder Mountain actually has an interesting landscape while you are riding it. Everest is just caverns and trees. Furthermore, the "story" is subtle to the point of being cryptic. I don't mind subtle stories when you are bombarded with sensory overload like in such classics as Pirates, Haunted Mansion etc. Those don't necessarily follow a distinct story but they involve you otherwise in an experience. Everest doesn't tell a compelling story, it doesn't give you much to look at, and finally it isn't all that thrilling. The entire area surrounding Everest is beautiful but the ride itself is like being served Mcdonalds in a fancy New York Restaurant. The concept is there but the meat at the heart of the experience ain't so great. Just my thoughts.

Exactly what ive been trying to say.

disneyfamily

AndyMagic said:

To each his own, some of us dont need to be spoon fed the entire gist of the story.

Other than the ram on the hill top and the mining camp you see about 3 seconds of, what does Big Thunder have to offer that Everest doesnt. I mean other than an actual thrill. Everest is a rollercoaster, you would assume you would be going pretty fast through it. You might want to catch the story before you get on.

AndyMagic

disneyfamily said:
To each his own, some of us dont need to be spoon fed the entire gist of the story.

Other than the ram on the hill top and the mining camp you see about 3 seconds of, what does Big Thunder have to offer that Everest doesnt. I mean other than an actual thrill....
Ohh I dunno.... waterfalls, an earthquake, a swarm of bats, a trick-track that wobbles the car, interesting bone-like structures that you go under, a brief splash into the water. Not to mention the ride is at LEAST twice as long, contains a more interesting track layout AND was built more than 25 years ago. I'd say that is pretty embarassing. Rides built in 1980 shouldn't be more impressive than new 100 million dollar E-tickets built in 2006.

If you read my previous post, I don't need stories spoonfed to me. Big Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion and Pirates don't have set stories. HOWEVER, they are involving in other ways because of the lavish details on the ride. And yes, I know the queue for Everest is amazing. But as we have seen with Kali River Rapids, an amazing queue does not make a ride experience any more exciting. It just makes waiting in line more exciting. If Everest doesn't have the details, it should at least have an involving story to make the "Yeti" encounter more exciting. Right now that "show scene" is more of a... " is that?" instead of a, "Ohhhh wow, that was really suspenseful."

disneyfamily

AndyMagic said:
Ohh I dunno.... waterfalls, an earthquake, a swarm of bats, a trick-track that wobbles the car, interesting bone-like structures that you go under, a brief splash into the water. Add on top of that the ride is at LEAST twice as long, contains a more interesting track layout AND that it was build more than 25 years ago, I'd say it is pretty embarassing. Rides built in 1980 shouldn't be more impressive than new 100 million dollar E-tickets.

Add almost twice as slow, don't get me wrong I love BTM. I think Everest is better. Exactly what story is BTM telling, dont go mining or go mining but watch out for bats and earthquakes?

I actually thought the ride layout of Everest was pretty similar to BTM, just faster, and in the dark, and backwards, with a 25' next level animatronic at the end.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom