I can't stand the abbreviations

ABigBrassBand

This thread is ridiculous. Learn the abbreviations, and then there are great things called context and common sense that you can use.

/rant

AlishaMisha

Out of curiosity, directed towards the ones against abbreviating, do you abbreviate states? I mean you weren't born into knowing them, you learned them at some point, and I am sure you use them. Every time you write out an address do you write out the state fully? Do you write it out here in the forums? I am just curious.

Saintsfan75

Original Poster
Yes I am going to be hating life. You guys always get it easy - you play either STL or SEA. (Thank goodness for abbreviations.) :cool::lol:

Hahaha! Yeah, playing one of those teams will be easy, but we don't always get it easy. Last year we had to beat 3 Hall of Fame quarterbacks to win the Superbowl (Warner, Favre, and Manning).

ann0d

Am I the only one that, no matter how long I'm on this site, I just can't remember all the abbreviations. It really sucks when someone is giving great advise, but the whole post is full of them and I just can't follow. Is it really that hard to type out Spaceship Earth? :shrug:

Sorry, I'm sure I'm the only one. :wave:

Totally am with you on this one!:wave:

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I'm currently back in school. I have no problem differentiating my typing from forums to papers, same as from forum to forum. Every forum has its own language. :animwink: I guess I'm a multityper hee hee

It could also be all the texting I used to do before the keypad was on every other phone. Now I have the keypad but I don't text much unless I need to reach someone where I don't want to rudley bark into the phone LOL. My mind is one track in that way, I get used to things and they become a habit. I cant even imagine how many times I keep on writing 2010 :).

sbkline

Out of curiosity, directed towards the ones against abbreviating, do you abbreviate states? I mean you weren't born into knowing them, you learned them at some point, and I am sure you use them. Every time you write out an address do you write out the state fully? Do you write it out here in the forums? I am just curious.

I'm not sure if this question would apply to me or not, since I have described myself as somewhat middle of the road on this issue, but as for me, I abbreviate states in some cases, and in others I don't. When it comes to addressing mail, I think the Post Office prefers that you just put the official, two letter abbreviation on the envelope. At least that's how I am accustomed to doing it. But if I'm on here posting about a trip I'm taking to Florida, I don't necessarily abbreviate. Or, as I said in an earlier post, I may write it out the first time and then abbreviate it thereafter. But If I'm writing Christmas cards or something and write a little note in the card about what we have planned coming up, I probably won't abbreviate the state. But I guess it depends if I just say we're going to this state (in which case I would probably write it out), or if I say we're going to Orlando, FL (in which case I may abbreviate).

But I also tend to agree with others here who have said that you should keep your audience in mind. You need to be able to make sure your readers know what you're talking about. So if it's a person with 3 posts on their post count, you may want to assume that they're a newbie and won't understand the vernacular, whereas if you're talking to senior members, you can be fairly safe in assuming that they understand the abbreviations. Kind of like where I work. I work at Walmart and we have a little bit of "lingo" that we understand amongst ourselves, but we have to be careful about using that lingo when talking to a customer because they may have absolutely no clue what we are talking about. For example, if I ask another associate where an item is and he tells me it's in the "Forbidden Zone" up front, or in "action alley" or on the "Lexon Room", I will know exactly what he's talking about. But if some customer asks me where an item is and I tell them that it's in the Forbidden Zone or Action Alley, or the Lexon Room, he's probably going to look at me like a deer in the headlights.

I do agree up to a point that it behooves us all to learn the abbreviations if we're gonna post here. However, we also shouldn't expect a person to have to do research just to understand a reply that someone may give them on a question.

The Mom

Premium Member
Yes I am going to be hating life. You guys always get it easy - you play either STL or SEA. (Thank goodness for abbreviations.) :cool::lol:

I have no idea what you are talking about in this post. On a Disney site. But I wouldn't complain about it on a sports site. I would assume that other football fans know exactly what you mean.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I have no idea what you are talking about in this post. On a Disney site. But I wouldn't complain about it on a sports site. I would assume that other football fans know exactly what you mean.
I was having trouble... "STL" sounds like Seattle, but then I had no clue what "SEA" would be. :shrug:

Silly USA people... :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom