Hurricane Milton coming to FL

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

1728531691434.png

celluloid

micro in the big pic but since I mentioned earlier. My sister in Cape lost power around 8:45 as did my fam in St Pete. They are all ok.

Last i heard they are all ok. Surges in SWFL are receeding for the most part. Last bands going. Central FL, getting stronger your way with the windshield east through you. Winter Haven and Lakeland especially for the wind.

lazyboy97o

I know that glass to the floor was fine in homes I designed over the years, but only on the first floor at ground level. Anything more than 18” above grade level on the first floor in those instances, or on floors above had to be tempered/membraned if it was less than 24” AFF.
Both the Florida Building Code - Residential and the Florida Building Code - Building have requirements for safety glazing depending on location and use. The High Velocity Hurricane Zones of South Florida also have a broader requirement for safety glazing in exterior settings. Tempered glazing alone will not suffice in the wind-borne debris regions as it does not stay together. General laminated safety glazing is also not sufficient as it is only rated for human impacts and not large or small missile impacts.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
micro in the big pic but since I mentioned earlier. My sister in Cape lost power around 8:45 as did my fam in St Pete. They are all ok.

Last i heard they are all ok. Surges in SWFL are receeding for the most part. Last bands going. Central FL, getting stronger your way with the windshield east through you. Winter Haven and Lakeland especially for the wind.

So glad they’re all okay!!

Now it’s the restless sleep until daylight shows us all that happened.

HakunaMatata89

I got family who works for a federal relief org that's riding it out in Lakeland, waiting to hear how they are making out. I was stationed in Canaveral for a long time so i know some of my friends there aren't having a lot of fun right now either.

erstwo

poor planning, costly result.
Hard to plan for a hurricane.
Cranes of that size (not sure of the exact size) usually require over a week to disassemble and usually require (guess what?) additional cranes to take them apart.
So they would have needed to order the assisting/ disassembly crane's, put them in place, disassemble the big crane and the assisting cranes and then truck the all pieces out. I’d guess that’s about 2 weeks minimum.
This isn’t the first time a construction crane has been up in Florida during a hurricane. I’m sure there’s some sort of local/ state and possibly even federal standards they had to follow. Will be interesting to see.

Gringrinngghost

Code:
ZCZC MIATCUAT4 ALL
TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM

Hurricane Milton Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL142024
100 AM EDT Thu Oct 10 2024

...FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY CONTINUES OVER PORTIONS OF WEST-CENTRAL
FLORIDA AND DAMAGING WINDS REACHING THE FLORIDA EAST COAST...
...100 AM EDT POSITION UPDATE...

A sustained wind of 48 mph (77 km/h) and a gust of 79 mph (127 km/h)
was recently reported at the Albert Whitted Airport station in St.
Petersburg. A sustained wind of 46 mph (74 km/h) and a gust of 74
mph (119 km/h) was recently reported at Orlando International
Airport. A sustained wind of 52 mph (84 km/h) and a gust of 67 mph
(108 km/h) was recently reported at a NASA weather station at Cape
Canaveral.

The next position update will be at 200 AM EDT (0600 UTC) with the
intermediate advisory.

SUMMARY OF 100 AM EDT...0500 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...28.0N 81.6W
ABOUT 40 MI...65 KM SSW OF ORLANDO FLORIDA
ABOUT 65 MI...105 KM WSW OF CAPE CANAVERAL FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...90 MPH...150 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...ENE OR 60 DEGREES AT 16 MPH...26 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...970 MB...28.64 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Bucci/Sardi/Mahoney/Cangialosi

NNNN

Roughly 24 miles DIRECT south of Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom