Hurricane Milton coming to FL

celluloid

I get what you are saying but if someone has to work, whether it is at WDW, Universal, Home Depot, grocery store, etc., I would rather be busy than standing around doing nothing. The idle mind tends to wander and think of worst case scenarios. Anyone interacting with someone who is working anywhere today should be extra kind and understanding. Stay safe and well all.

You can make stances about everyone's personal choice. But let's not compare critical infrastructure with Themed Resorts.

Most Grocery Stores, Gas stations etc. have already closed earlier, and are not in the same travel situation as a theme park for its crew.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I made my back up plan the day I started this thread, Saturday, Tuesday flights were wide open. I looked Sunday into possibly leaving Monday and the flights were gone. That said 95 remained realitively open and cars were plentiful to be rented yesterday. There’s a reason I always rent a car when I go in October, most of the time you are less then a days drive from safety. You just need to recognize the danger before everyone else, for Tampa that was leaving Monday morning, Orlando yesterday morning, I4 and 95 were clear when I went to the airport at 7am.

This is what always seems to get my family members in Charlotte Harbor. They hem and haw and discuss evacuation, but they never do until it’s mandatory. Sometimes even then they spend additional time deciding if they really should. There ARE a lot of expense’s and dangers that come with late evacuation, but it kills my nerves every time.

Thankfully for this storm they all left Monday. But some of them didn’t go super far so they’re out of surge danger but still in the zone for everything else. Small victories, i guess.

celluloid

This is what always seems to get my family members in Charlotte Harbor. They hem and haw and discuss evacuation, but they never do until it’s mandatory. Sometimes even then they spend additional time deciding if they really should. There ARE a lot of expense’s and dangers that come with late evacuation, but it kills my nerves every time.

Thankfully for this storm they all left Monday. But some of them didn’t go super far so they’re out of surge danger but still in the zone for everything else. Small victories, i guess.

As a Fort Myers/Cape native, I truly feel the worst for the Port Charlotte Punta Gorda area. They always seem to get the worst of these Tampa dodges. I remember seeing post Charley after driving through there and not only was Fort Myers Disgusting...seeing that was life changing on an extreme.

plutofan15

You can make stances about everyone's personal choice. But let's not compare critical infrastructure with Themed Resorts.

Most Grocery Stores, Gas stations etc. have already closed earlier, and are not in the same travel situation as a theme park for its crew.
Nobody was comparing the two. My point was that people will be working at other places than theme park resorts and to treat those working anywhere with extra understanding and kindness.

SoFloMagic

Another update.

Frontier cancelled my rebooked flight for Thursday night this morning, so seems like MCO will be closed all of Thursday.

I was automatically rebooked this time (versus having the option to pick a flight previously) for Friday morning. If I want a different flight or refund/cancel for credit or back to original CC, I need to call in now. So maybe MCO is planning on opening Friday now.

For my hotel reservation, I started a ticket to get a partial refund for the days I cannot use. They won't allow a full cancelation or refund at this point outright, would need to escalate the booking. This is the big downside with booking 3rd party vs. directly with Disney, but that was my only option months ago since there was no availability directly with Disney.

Hoping for the best for everyone down there!
I would be surprised if the airport could execute their hazard assessment process and staff up enough to begin passenger operation Thursday. Maybe freight if no damage or flooding.

Plus airlines need to get planes and crews onsite and likely won't begin that process until MCO issues the all clear. Spirit has a crew base at MCO I believe, so they could possibly be faster than others though.

celluloid

hope y'all are alright

They are in Cape Coral. Their Tornado Warning keeps getting extended as more touchdown. They heard what they thought was one during Ian but were never sure because the power was out. They saw on the news the tornadoes going right through their neighborhood roads on the map. These same sounds of the one near them has them confirfming that is what it was two years ago.

This is what makes me frustrated as people say "The Hurricane is 200 miles away" type statements. The parks are going to close right when this tornado heavy producing weather is over Central FL.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I would be surprised if the airport could execute their hazard assessment process and staff up enough to begin passenger operation Thursday. Maybe freight if no damage or flooding.

Plus airlines need to get planes and crews onsite and likely won't begin that process until MCO issues the all clear. Spirit has a crew base at MCO I believe, so they could possibly be faster than others though.
I recall after Ian (?) MCO was closed for a few days due to flooding on the approaches. Actual infrastructure damage was minimal.

Raineman

With all of this, I wonder if this might influence people's decision in the future to take a WDW vacation in September/October, as that timing would obviously increase the risk of a vacation-interrupting hurricane along with the anxiety/fear of riding it out while at WDW.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I get what you are saying but if someone has to work, whether it is at WDW, Universal, Home Depot, grocery store, etc., I would rather be busy than standing around doing nothing. The idle mind tends to wander and think of worst case scenarios. Anyone interacting with someone who is working anywhere today should be extra kind and understanding. Stay safe and well all.
Fair points

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom