Hurricane Milton coming to FL

MerlinTheGoat

Seminole County is above Orange and most of it is outside the cone, and even they are still forecast by the local news to receive hurricane force gusts of 75mph or more.

Downtown Orlando is again still very much within the cone as of the 11am NHC update. Only the protruding northwestern corner of Orange county (Apopka) is outside of it. Orlando is still well south of that. WDW is in the southwestern corner of Orange county, and in fact a small section of the property (a couple of the All Stars resorts) is in Osceola county.

The eye moving south from Orlando is not a positive development for the area, the strongest storms will be just north of the eye, you’re trading lower winds for more rain and higher chance of tornadoes.
Being completely south of the eye is better for winds. But since there's extremely little chance that the storm is going to shift to such an extreme degree to make the eye pass north of Orlando, given that projected track, you still want to be as far north from the eye as you can get. The southern counties covered by my local news are projecting Polk and Osceola to receive the worst winds (still 100+ MPH gusts) based on the current NHC track.

donsullivan

Premium Member
People are kind of missing the point here. The 'cone' is nothing more than the level of uncertainty of the path of the eye of the storm. It doesn't mean that if you are outside the cone you don't need to worry about anything. Please take a look at the radar and see the epic size of this storm and you'll realize the cone has nothing to do with the area of the state that will be impacted by the storm.

1728488782843.png

MerlinTheGoat

I'll also note that while the NHC has the entrypoint to the south of Tampa Bay, most other models still have it making a direct hit into Tampa Bay. There's every possibility that the NHC is wrong. The modeling consensus at the moment have it going further north.

plutofan15

Stay at the room

It’s not that it’s dangerous to be in the park…it causes unnecessary stress on those that have to stand there and think about what happens later tonight.

…I know…I’m a dreamer 😐
I get what you are saying but if someone has to work, whether it is at WDW, Universal, Home Depot, grocery store, etc., I would rather be busy than standing around doing nothing. The idle mind tends to wander and think of worst case scenarios. Anyone interacting with someone who is working anywhere today should be extra kind and understanding. Stay safe and well all.

LSLS

For what it's worth, with the 11AM update, white wind speeds have decreased, the travel speed has increased, so the landfall will be sooner than expected.

Brian

I'll also note that while the NHC has the entrypoint to the south of Tampa Bay, most other models still have it making a direct hit into Tampa Bay. There's every possibility that the NHC is wrong. The modeling consensus at the moment have it going further north.
'Catastrophic' doesn't even begin to describe a landfall in the bay.

Brian

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Spaghetti models currently on News 6 mostly agree to a Sarasota area.

donsullivan

Premium Member
This may come in useful over the next couple of days

Similar for Google Pixel owners

plutofan15

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I hope everyone has the residents of AK in their thoughts. Obviously, they’ll be in their housing off-stage, but I’m curious if there are any additional precautions that are taken for the safety of the animals during weather events such as this.
My wife has a direct report whose wife was a rhino keeper at AK. Large animals such as the rhinos will stay outside with their enclosures open and available if the animals what to go inside. Animals have natural instincts for survival. Smaller animals will be brought inside to be safe. Keepers will also be onsite for any issues.
Animals, at times, have more common sense than us humans.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom