Hurricane Matthew

Daveeeeed

Umm, the hurricane hasn't hit land yet, and the parks are still open. No rain, just light winds. Not sure I see where the "stupid" part is.
Even Disney doesn't think it's an issue, because they still have the parks open. So, let's just dispense with the judgmental condemnation.
Tomorrow or later tonight, that's a different story, but for now, there is literally nothing happening.
THE PARKS WILL BE CLOSING AT 5pm today and all day Friday. It's inevitable. People in Orlando will be perfectly safe inside, that's why there is not an evacuation order except relocations for some resorts, but you can't be outside or driving. Along the coast though that is a big deal. This should not be taken lightly.

I have a cousin that lives super close to the coast in Jacksonville, an area under evacuation, and her sister flew in this morning. My cousin that lives there left because of the storm, but her sister that flew in insists that she still go. People like that you just have to wonder how they're still alive. And it's not about being an end of the world preparer, it's about taking logical safety steps that will keep you safe especially from the coasts.

WDW862

In theory. Depending on work having to be done to bring the parks back up, working with CMs able to come in, traffic conditions, downed power lines, etc., etc.

Well I'm thinking all the tourist are going home now, so the parks will be dead.

WDW862

THE PARKS WILL BE CLOSING AT 5pm today and all day Friday. It's inevitable. People in Orlando will be perfectly safe inside, that's why there is not an evacuation order except relocations for some resorts, but you can't be outside or driving. Along the coast though that is a big deal. This should not be taken lightly.

I have a cousin that lives super close to the coast in Jacksonville, an area under evacuation, and her sister flew in this morning. My cousin that lives there left because of the storm, but her sister that flew in insists that she still go. People like that you just have to wonder how they're still alive. And it's not about being an end of the world preparer, it's about taking logical safety steps that will keep you safe especially from the coasts.

You're overreacting. They will be fine, buildings in Florida are made to survive this stuff. The worst part about being in a hurricane like this is that you loose power for days.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
In theory. Depending on work having to be done to bring the parks back up, working with CMs able to come in, traffic conditions, downed power lines, etc., etc.

Don't you just love it when people who have no idea what the after effects of a Category 4 storm are make statements like that? The LAST place I'd want to be is the Magic Kingdom a day or two after a major hurricane hits Central Florida.

The people that need to be out on the roads are first responders, utility crews and others to assess the damage. Not people deciding to visit MK....

Sheesh...

Daveeeeed

Your family is obviously smarter than mine. Everyone waits too long. It was too late to get out today. PBC, not Miami for me.

Edit- only one of my friend's still remains in a Mandatory Evac zone. I'm hoping that will change in the next hour.
That part of my family is still staying there as they couldn't get a hotel. They could stay at our house, but they're not going to get flood water, so they've decided to stay (their house is concrete). They've stayed through a few hurricanes so they know what to do. But then my cousin decides to still fly into a Jacksonville this morning in a place that is under evacuation.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Earlier in the week it was reported that UoM was considering asking FSU if the game could be played in Tallahassee. I'm glad that better sense prevailed. The hotel rooms are more needed for evacuees, not football fans.

I'm wondering if the game will be played. The team usually flies out on Thursday evening. Jimbo said yesterday they will fly out tomorrow. That's going to be one bumpy flight....

Daveeeeed

You're overreacting. They will be fine, buildings in Florida are made to survive this stuff. The worst part about being in a hurricane like this is that you loose power for days.
Um, they are in a flood zone so it is actually not overreacting. And she had the option to stay in Alabama as she was with her parents, but she insisted that she go there this morning.

JohnD

Original Poster
That part of my family is still staying there as they couldn't get a hotel. They could stay at our house, but they're not going to get flood water, so they've decided to stay (their house is concrete). They've stayed through a few hurricanes so they know what to do. But then my cousin decides to still fly into a Jacksonville this morning in a place that is under evacuation.

I've been trying to talk my parents into driving over to Tally from Jax. I have a guest room. Heck, even my brothers' in-laws could sleep on the sofa bed. No dice. They're staying. At last they're west of the St. Johns River. Sigh. . .

Donillary Crumpton

My husband wants to head to Tennessee...
Just be careful as to what part of Tennessee you head to this time of year, as certain areas face a threat which is causing lodging costs to spike, traffic jams to occur, and is far more dire than any storm... leaf lookers! :depressed::facepalm:

Okay, even though I said that in jest, do take into account that East TN especially is hit HARD with tourists during October who pile in salivating over autumn foliage colors. (Which is ironic, as our fall colors aren't nearly as impressive as in many other parts of the country). But still though, be warned that October...especially weekends... can be nightmarish in finding shelter in some towns. Just a heads-up.

WDW862

Um, they are in a flood zone so it is actually not overreacting. And she had the option to stay in Alabama as she was with her parents, but she insisted that she go there this morning.

Their house will flood, but it's not going to kill them, unless they go outside.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom