Hurricane Matthew

JohnD

Original Poster
I'm wondering if the game will be played. The team usually flies out on Thursday evening. Jimbo said yesterday they will fly out tomorrow. That's going to be one bumpy flight....

Last I heard it was either Tampa or Miami. If I were them, I'd cancel. Seriously. A game after a Cat 4 or 5 hurricane blows through?

Daveeeeed

I've been trying to talk my parents into driving over to Tally from Jax. I have a guest room. Heck, even my brothers' in-laws could sleep on the sofa bed. No dice. They're staying. At last they're west of the St. Johns River. Sigh. . .
I think they'll be okay as long as they're not in flood prone areas. Still why be subjected to staying at home for 2 days with extremely scary conditions, and risk of damage that could be dangerous and losing power for up to a week?

GrumpyFan

THE PARKS WILL BE CLOSING AT 5pm today and all day Friday. It's inevitable. People in Orlando will be perfectly safe inside, that's why there is not an evacuation order except relocations for some resorts, but you can't be outside or driving. Along the coast though that is a big deal. This should not be taken lightly.
I'm not advocating people go out in it, especially if you're off property. But, for now, if you're at Disney, the parks are still open (til 5), and probably quite empty and you can still make the best of it.

21stamps

You're overreacting. They will be fine, buildings in Florida are made to survive this stuff. The worst part about being in a hurricane like this is that you loose power for days.
No. The worst part is losing water.
I live in Lake Worth which is kinda near West Palm, we still have power. The winds are picking up and the storm is coming sooner then expected
I am sending good thoughts to pbc like crazy.... Be safe!

JohnD

Original Poster
I think they'll be okay as long as they're not in flood prone areas. Still why be subjected to staying at home for 2 days with extremely scary conditions, and risk of damage that could be dangerous and losing power for up to a week?

They're in Ortega area sandwiched between the Ortega and St. Johns Rivers. Technically, they're in Jax "Zone C" which apparently the Mayor has ordered as a mandatory evacuation zone.

Daveeeeed

I'' not referi
I'm not advocating people go out in it, especially if you're off property. But, for now, if you're at Disney, the parks are still open (til 5), and probably quite empty and you can still make the best of it.
I'm not talking about Disney, I'm talking about Jacksonville. Orlando will be perfectly fine as long as you stay indoors. There will be damage like trees, but if you stay indoors but the main risk is being outside in Orlando; that's why basically all businesses are closed. Jacksonville on the other hand if you're in a flood zone like my cousin, you're a moron for not taking common sense precautions if you have he ability to.

donaldtoo

Umm, the hurricane hasn't hit land yet, and the parks are still open. No rain, just light winds. Not sure I see where the "stupid" part is.
Even Disney doesn't think it's an issue, because they still have the parks open. So, let's just dispense with the judgmental condemnation.
Tomorrow or later tonight, that's a different story, but for now, there is literally nothing happening.

Yea, both of our DDs are in Epcot right now.
Just got a text from the youngest that it's raining lightly off and on, but, nothing unmanageable. No mention of wind.
They were scheduled to start a cruise tomorrow morning, but, supposedly, it'll be delayed/shortened by only a day.
They'll be hunkering down at a friends house in Orlando through the storm.

prberk

Hotel guests are being told to not the leave their rooms until tomorrow afternoon and that box lunches for available for sale today.

It also looks like WDW hotels are largely at capacity for tonight and tomorrow. (Capacity may be limited due to worker availability also, not sure; but may just be full of evacuees -- some from Fort Wilderness but from elsewhere as well.)

Here is the current availability for all WDW resorts for two nights beginning tonight:

2016-10-06 WDW Hotels almost sold out for hurricane pt 1.jpg
2016-10-06 WDW Hotels almost sold out for hurricane pt 2.jpg
View attachment 167353

2016-10-06 WDW Hotels almost sold out for hurricane pt 1.jpg
2016-10-06 WDW Hotels almost sold out for hurricane pt 2.jpg
2016-10-06 WDW Hotels almost sold out for hurricane pt 3.jpg
2016-10-06 WDW Hotels almost sold out for hurricane pt 4.jpg
2016-10-06 WDW Hotels almost sold out for hurricane pt 5.jpg
2016-10-06 WDW Hotels almost sold out for hurricane pt 6.jpg

Last edited:

JohnD

Original Poster
I hope they will be safe. Ifor they were my parents, I'd have headed to Jax, thrown them in my car and headed back to Tally.

My brother's brother-in-law and family were the only ones who had sense enough to leave. They basically had to. They have a house east of the Intracoastal. The remaining family lives just west of the St. Johns near NAS Jax.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom