Hurricane Matthew

Nubs70

What's the deal with Fort wilderness Resort and Campsite closing now thru Sunday? Have guests been asked to leave and find shelter elsewhere? Or is it that no further check-ins allowed?
Now through storm.is due.to.flying debris and possibility of you and.your campsite going airborne. Days after storm is to clean up.debris.that has flown.

21stamps

You are assuming far greater adoption of the Miami-Dade wind standards than there is in practice.
I didn't mean for it to be taken this far..

What I'm saying is that if you were in South Florida after Andrew, a lot of the major problems were things such as- not being able to get supplies, other problems relating to insufficient building codes etc. It was horrible. Absolutely horrible, and people couldn't get help. It is literally impossible to have a recurrence of that exact scenario in 2016.

MOXOMUMD

Latest hurricane advisory has made it a Category 4. :grumpy:

And Jim Cantore is leaving Melbourne for somewhere in southern Florida.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So silly Canadian question as we've never had to deal with anything like this is the past (Don't really get hurricanes up this way). We are driving down and will be leaving from Atlanta to Orlando on Saturday, well, Kissimmee anyway. We are contemplating booking an extra night in Atlanta just in case (we rented a home so whether we arrive Sat or Sun makes no difference) but wondering if that would be necessary or if we should be ok arriving Saturday afternoon/ evening?

I would book the extra night in Atlanta. Things will be a mess and you will experience delays in driving.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I know most of those in the area are protecting themselves and property (and you should be) or evacuating (again if your told to get out get out). But if anyone is in the parks and has photos of the prep work it would be interesting to see how they are getting ready. Also would be good to have before and after photos. If not totally understand your safety is always first!

rickdrat

As a lifelong resident of New Orleans I have seen it all tropics wise, including Katrina. I echo what many of the other posters here have said, but it bears repeating if only to drive the point home.

First, don't panic. Have a plan and stick to it.

If officials call for evacuation, DO IT, provided there's time. There is nothing in your residence that can't be replaced. Fewer choices are more regrettable than calling 911 because the water is up to your ankles and rising and your roof is peeling off only to be told no one can help you until after the storm passes. Having said that, know your limits. Unless you live in a trailer, sheltering in place is always a better option than being stuck in your car on the interstate and it sounds like the window for Florida is closing fast. During peak evacuations from New Orleans, a normal 90 minute drive to Baton Rouge can easily take 8-10 hours. If there's a challenge for your car's engine to fail, that will be it.

Don't focus on the track down the center of the forecast cone. Understand that only represents where the center of the storm is expected to pass. An unexpected 50 mile jog one way or the other can change things overnight. Hurricane force winds (>74 mph) can extend 100 miles or more from the center, tropical storm force (39-73 mph) can exist hundreds of miles beyond that. Torrential rains can most certainly be expected. The biggest killer from hurricanes is inland flooding. Depending on topography, expect rivers and streams to flood and make some roads impassable. If you aren't familiar with the area, NEVER drive through a flooding road.

From what I've read, it sounds like Disney is as well prepared as anyone to ride these things out. A concrete and steel hotel should stand up to the worst a storm brings, but stay away from windows. Understand though that life outside the Disney bubble might be less than idyllic. Much of the east coast will likely be declared a disaster area. We're talking widespread loss of power, lack of clean drinking water, no grocery stores open, no gas for sale (and no power to pump if there was), trees down everywhere. These conditions will last for days and weeks in some areas. Getting around will be all but impossible and now your dealing with a community whose residents are trying to put their lives back together rather than fulfill tourist needs, so keep your priorities in check.

The one takeaway that was etched in my brain after Katrina is prepare to be self sufficient for at least 3 days. In spite of their best intentions, government officials won't respond as quickly as you'd like. They will be overwhelmed, period. This is, in part, bureaucracy, and part the limits of the people in place to act. There are a finite number of boats, helicopters, ambulances, and first responders to operate them. This is why you should always evacuate if you're in a vulnerable area.

Stay calm. Stay safe. Thoughts and prayers to the good people of Florida.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
I don't wish that for her. She's my closest friend. Her defense has been that there has been so many new laws, codes, and preparations since Wilma. I just wanted to point out how different people react when you have lived in a hurricane zone your entire life. It's a stark contrast.

The whole Mercedes and shoe thing is just funny to me because that mentality played a huge factor in me deciding to raise my son elsewhere.. It's so odd that I am so removed from it now. It's also odd to be watching a hurricane on the weather channel and not my local news. Lol

I went back and corrected my original post after reading your reply. I realized *aren't* somehow got deleted before I posted. My apologies. I hope she will be okay.

21stamps

I know most of those in the area are protecting themselves and property (and you should be) or evacuating (again if your told to get out get out). But if anyone is in the parks and has photos of the prep work it would be interesting to see how they are getting ready. Also would be good to have before and after photos. If not totally understand your safety is always first!
I have photos from my cousins who are at Epcot today. Can't see any preparation in the background though...and I don't think it's appropriate to snag their fb pics and put it on here lol.

LAKid53

Premium Member
As a lifelong resident of New Orleans I have seen it all tropics wise, including Katrina. I echo what many of the other posters here have said, but it bears repeating if only to drive the point home.

First, don't panic. Have a plan and stick to it.

If officials call for evacuation, DO IT, provided there's time. There is nothing in your residence that can't be replaced. Fewer choices are more regrettable than calling 911 because the water is up to your ankles and rising and your roof is peeling off only to be told no one can help you until after the storm passes. Having said that, know your limits. Unless you live in a trailer, sheltering in place is always a better option than being stuck in your car on the interstate and it sounds like the window for Florida is closing fast. During peak evacuations from New Orleans, a normal 90 minute drive to Baton Rouge can easily take 8-10 hours. If there's a challenge for your car's engine to fail, that will be it.

Don't focus on the track down the center of the forecast cone. Understand that only represents where the center of the storm is expected to pass. An unexpected 50 mile jog one way or the other can change things overnight. Hurricane force winds (>74 mph) can extend 100 miles or more from the center, tropical storm force (39-73 mph) can exist hundreds of miles beyond that. Torrential rains can most certainly be expected. The biggest killer from hurricanes is inland flooding. Depending on topography, expect rivers and streams to flood and make some roads impassable. If you aren't familiar with the area, NEVER drive through a flooding road.

From what I've read, it sounds like Disney is as well prepared as anyone to ride these things out. A concrete and steel hotel should stand up to the worst a storm brings, but stay away from windows. Understand though that life outside the Disney bubble might be less than idyllic. Much of the east coast will likely be declared a disaster area. We're talking widespread loss of power, lack of clean drinking water, no grocery stores open, no gas for sale (and no power to pump if there was), trees down everywhere. These conditions will last for days and weeks in some areas. Getting around will be all but impossible and now your dealing with a community whose residents are trying to put their lives back together rather than fulfill tourist needs, so keep your priorities in check.

The one takeaway that was etched in my brain after Katrina is prepare to be self sufficient for at least 3 days. In spite of their best intentions, government officials won't respond as quickly as you'd like. They will be overwhelmed, period. This is, in part, bureaucracy, and part the limits of the people in place to act. There are a finite number of boats, helicopters, ambulances, and first responders to operate them. This is why you should always evacuate if you're in a vulnerable area.

Stay calm. Stay safe. Thoughts and prayers to the good people of Florida.

^^^THIS!!!!

I'm scared.. And I'm usually not. I just want to keep hoping that it's being dramatized.. But I don't think so at this point.

I'm scared too. I was scared for my family before katrina. Im scared for Florida. I'm scared people won't take this seriously like Katrina wasn't taken seriously. The fear of the unknown and how much damage will be done is scary.

21stamps

I went back and corrected my original post after reading your reply. I realized *aren't* somehow got deleted before I posted. My apologies. I hope she will be okay.
She is really making me angry.. I'm about to send someone to drag her out. Here is my last text-
image.jpeg

She did say earlier that she will be leaving after husband gets home from work. So that's a positive. Maybe the weather people are making it look worse than the what it is right now. Everyone I know is saying that there is rain and wind. The worst of it wont be til later.

I think I'm more scared now, being in the Midwest, than I ever was when I was actually in the storms in Florida.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'm scared.. And I'm usually not. I just want to keep hoping that it's being dramatized.. But I don't think so at this point.

You have every reason to be concerned. When I read that the eye reformed as the storm passed over Haiti, I thought, "uh oh, this one's going to be bad, very bad". Normally, eyes don't reform as the storm passes over land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom