Hurricane Matthew

JohnD

Original Poster
They were improved again after Wilma. There's also new laws about gas stations required to have generators etc.. As soon as the port opens and fuel can get there we will never see the horrid lines of 2005 at gas stations and people running out of fuel. People won't be as cut off from supplies as they have been in the past. The state of Florida learned a lot after '04-'05, they learned that the post Andrew codes had flaws..and they've taken steps to correct that.

I'm not downplaying the impact that Matthew may very well have. But we will never see another aftermath like we had with Andrew.

No one is arguing improved building codes but I agree that you just can't make a blanket statement, "We won't experience a storm like Andrew ever again." Let's hope Matthew isn't one of them. But, yes, Florida will.

21stamps

No one is arguing improved building codes but I agree that you just can't make a blanket statement, "We won't experience a storm like Andrew ever again." Let's hope Matthew isn't one of them. But, yes, Florida will.
I never said that. A storm is one thing. The aftermath of a storm is another. What I said is- we will never see that kind of destruction again.

Katrina is a perfect example. It wasn't the hurricane that was the biggest problem for New Orleans.It was the flooding as a result.. The aftermath of Katrina could have been prevented, and will be in the future. Steps are taken to prevent a recurrence after flaws are exposed.. There has been a lot of time to prepare since the last round of hurricanes. Have a little faith in our government :). We aren't Haiti.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
i think hes talking in terms of building codes and preparation

And I must again disagree. Florida hadn't had a hurricane since Wilma in 2005. We up here in Tally hadn't seen one since Kate in 1985. The population in this state has increased at least 20% since 2005 - Florida is now the third most populous state (sorry Texas). That's a significant portion of the population that have never been through a storm. And the rest of us have gotten lazy.

To say that Florida will never again experience a storm like Andrew and the resulting damage is wrong. Even with the improvements after Wilma. Never say never.

rodserling27

I'm also scheduled to arrive in MCO from Philly on Saturday early evening. I'm not sure if I should cancel or reschedule. I'm hoping that it will just pass over Orlando and be close to back to normal on Sunday. That might be wishful thinking, but I am willing to wait until at least Friday morning before making that decision. This will my family's first trip to WDW and hoping for the best...
Well, MCO just put this out. They are hoping to resume activities on Saturday, pending damage, availability, etc.
CuFwaq4W8AEqe-y.png

JohnD

Original Poster
I never said that. A storm is one thing. The aftermath of a storm is another. What I said is- we will never see that kind of destruction again.

And again, I don't care how improved the building codes are. To say that "we will never see that kind of destruction again" is foolhardy. It also builds in an attitude that you can wait out the storm because building codes are better. Regardless of the codes, if you are in an evacuation zone, or it's a major hurricane, better to get out. Don't make any assumptions because they are likely to be wrong.

Seanual757

Can someone help me regarding flight delays? I don't fly often and have never been delayed. My flight is scheduled to leave philly and arrive in Orlando by 11 am Saturday. Assuming the bad weather is pretty clear of the Orlando area by then, what goes into determining a flight delay? I know that my plane is scheduled to come in from California and then take me to Orlando. Does that help my chances seeing as how it's not coming from Orlando (bad weather) and then making a return trip? There are cancelations already for Thursday and Friday, do those cancellations affect my flight or do they try and reschedule those cancellations around flights like mine that may not have to be altered? Sorry for the long post, I'm just not sure how it all works...

This is a twofold answer as a former pilot for United what will happen is the following.

Since you are flying into and not out of you have a much greater chance of getting in on time to Orlando pending the airport is open.

What airlines do is they will position aircraft and crews around the system to get planes into the airport as soon as operations can continue. This will help the folks get out, in your case since you are flying in and your 1st aircraft is coming in from California at that flight terminates in Orlando it will continue to Orlando as they need that place for the outbound flight.

Now for passengers who are on cancelled flights airlines will begin to book passengers on flights with open seats on the next available flight. If say the flight you are on is full they will book them on the next. What airlines will also do is do an equipment swap for larger equipment to add more passengers. For instance United was running Flight 725 from Orlando to Chicago has been either a A320 or a 738, the past two days it was upgraded to a 753 (757-300) this adds another 60-70 seats, they also did this for the next flight so between the two they added another 120 seats.

The key for you is as long as MCO is open you will get in (make sure you check in 24 hours before your flight). For those trying to get out good luck it’s going to take a couple of days.

21stamps

And again, I don't care how improved the building codes are. To say that "we will never see that kind of destruction again" is foolhardy. It also builds in an attitude that you can wait out the storm because building codes are better. Regardless of the codes, if you are in an evacuation zone, or it's a major hurricane, better to get out. Don't make any assumptions because they are likely to be wrong.
It's impossible. But I'll just agree to disagree.

dreamfinder

Can someone help me regarding flight delays? I don't fly often and have never been delayed. My flight is scheduled to leave philly and arrive in Orlando by 11 am Saturday. Assuming the bad weather is pretty clear of the Orlando area by then, what goes into determining a flight delay? I know that my plane is scheduled to come in from California and then take me to Orlando. Does that help my chances seeing as how it's not coming from Orlando (bad weather) and then making a return trip? There are cancelations already for Thursday and Friday, do those cancellations affect my flight or do they try and reschedule those cancellations around flights like mine that may not have to be altered? Sorry for the long post, I'm just not sure how it all works...

A whole lot depends. I think I read your post as the plane is going from LAX(SFO/Whatever)->PHL->MCO, and you are boarding in PHL. Any delays/cancellations at that point could depend on weather between PHL/MCO, if there is a backup at MCO due to prior weather, etc. If you have a crew change in PHL, if the crew is delayed for some reason, or needs to be replaced due to delays leaving Cali.

Usually airlines won't cascade bumps/cancellations. IE your flight won't be cancelled just so they can fly out people whose flight was cancelled on Friday. But any open seats, etc will be given to those people previously bumped. Hence the mad rush to change flights, first people to call to change/get in line are first people rescheduled out. They may add flights to get equipment/crews back to MCO since it sounds like airlines are moving everything out of MCO to other airports.

Key for you will be is MCO opens on time when they anticipate or not. If MCO isn't open, then you are obviously going to be delayed/cancelled. And unfortunately if that happens alot of the available seats for the short term will already be allocated to the people who were cancelled on Thurs/Fri.

21stamps

Rick Scott just said that Airbnb is offering rooms for free if people need it. That's good news.

I'm going to call and text my people again.. im worried for Palm Beach. Even with what I've been saying about Andrew..I'm not downplaying it, We don't need that level of destruction to have problems... It's still scary.

twebber55

And I must again disagree. Florida hadn't had a hurricane since Wilma in 2005. We up here in Tally hadn't seen one since Kate in 1985. The population in this state has increased at least 20% since 2005 - Florida is now the third most populous state (sorry Texas). That's a significant portion of the population that have never been through a storm. And the rest of us have gotten lazy.

To say that Florida will never again experience a storm like Andrew and the resulting damage is wrong. Even with the improvements after Wilma. Never say never.
there is nothing to disagree with i was stating what the person was saying

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom