Hurricane Matthew

21stamps

For all of you saying, "yeah, it will be okay after the storm blows through", you have absolutely no clue what your talking about.

This is a Category 4 storm. Even if the eye stays off shore or brushes it, Orlando area is going to take a beating. And until it passes and officials can go out and do damage assessments, you have no idea how bad it will be. 80% of Tallahassee was without power after Hermine. It took 11 days until all had power restored. And the highest gusts recorded? A little over 60 mph.

Roads will need to be cleared of downed trees and power lines. There most likely will be flooding, due to the rain. Gas stations with no gas. Stores with no power. ATMs not working or out of money. Curfews likely.

Look, I realize for many this is a trip you've planned for a long time. But I would seriously reconsider delaying your arrival until Monday at the earliest. People who had to evacuate will be trying to get back to their homes as soon as the storm passes. And you will be in the middle of that. And frankly, they have a higher priority to get home than you do to get to WDW.

Listen to those of us on this thread who live in Florida and have been through hurricanes. This is big. If this thing jogs 50 miles west, it's a major disaster for Central Florida. Stay away. If you're already here stay put.

If you think it's not going to be too bad, go find pictures of Miami after Andrew. Because that's what you are heading into. I still have a tree down in my back yard, waiting on my tree guy. There are still trees on the side of my street. and Hermine was a little over a month ago. And Matthew is much, much bigger than she was.

I agree with almost everything you said except for the Andrew part. We will never see that kind of devastation again. There was changes made after Andrew, and there have been more changes in the past 10 years.

BUT- like I said, I agree with the driving part. To the people who are driving-- Google photos of highways after Wilma.. We had an entire section of I95 that caved in. There was people stuck on highways for hours and hours due to traffic. It would NOT be a pleasant situation to be in.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I agree about Publix, especially the free coffee. Who knew it was such a priority? Tip: If you have to hunker down, brew your coffee now, put it in a stainless steel container, refrigerate it, and heat it up on your grill if you don't have power.

I thought about that, AFTER I lost power, lol. But I made some cold brew tea to get my caffeine fix in the AM. I drove to Publix Friday evening to get some ice and food after spending the day clearing up and the Starbucks on the way there was backed up.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Does anyone know if Disney forces cast members to come in work their shifts during a Hurricane? I mean all the hotels are not closing and they do need to have some type of skeleton crew working. Same thing with essential operations throughout the rest of the property. Just curious to know what they do with cast members.
Yes all cast are expected to report in as normal today.

WDWBryan

I'm going to share a few text messages that I've been exchanging with 2 of my SoFla peeps.. This is the first hurricane that I am not in Florida for.. And I'm freaking out more than they are.

Anyway, 1 lives on a barrier island, in a mandatory evac zone, and still has not left. Several have gone to hotels.. And 1 lives east of 95 but west of US 1 so not mandatory evac.
They are in Palm Beach County. Just thought this is kind of funny the comparison of locals and tourist attitudes towards a storm..lol. View attachment 167206 View attachment 167209

The other one is a little more anxious..View attachment 167207
Those were great thanks.

It's worth evacuating just to be in a place that has power after the storm.

I've been through several hurricanes and being without power sucks.

I'll probably lose it here but hopefully there will be places I can go after the storm is over that has power

Roakor

I agree with almost everything you said except for the Andrew part. We will never see that kind of devastation again. There was changes made after Andrew, and there have been more changes in the past 10 years.

BUT- like I said, I agree with the driving part. To the people who are driving-- Google photos of highways after Wilma.. We had an entire section of I95 that caved in. There was people stuck on highways for hours and hours due to traffic. It would NOT be a pleasant situation to be in.

with rising sea levels and water temperatures we could see storms in the future that dwarf Andrew. So I wouldn't say we will never see devastation like that again.

WDWBryan

Does anyone know if Disney forces cast members to come in work their shifts during a Hurricane? I mean all the hotels are not closing and they do need to have some type of skeleton crew working. Same thing with essential operations throughout the rest of the property. Just curious to know what they do with cast members.
I would hoping the ones working can ride it out and work in shifts. Probably have a couple rooms saved for cast or a place to sleep before or after their shift

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

I must strongly disagree. Yes, building codes were improved after Andrew, but the population since 1991 has dramatically increased, especially along the coast.

To say we will never experience a storm of Andrew's magnitude again is foolhardy. While buildings may be better able to withstand a Category 5, other factors will result in similar damage.

I just stop and think (and am thankful for us) that Katrina's initial path to Apalachicola Bay shifted. Bad for NOLA, but we dodged that bullet.

21stamps

with rising sea levels and water temperatures we could see storms in the future that dwarf Andrew. So I wouldn't say we will never see devastation like that again.
We won't. Building codes are different now. Hurricane proof glass is in almost every building in a high risk zone.

That level of destruction is impossible now. Thankfully.
Those were great thanks.

It's worth evacuating just to be in a place that has power after the storm.

I've been through several hurricanes and being without power sucks.

I'll probably lose it here but hopefully there will be places I can go after the storm is over that has power
It's always good to have friends with generators in their houses too.. Lol.

melflip8

Can someone help me regarding flight delays? I don't fly often and have never been delayed. My flight is scheduled to leave philly and arrive in Orlando by 11 am Saturday. Assuming the bad weather is pretty clear of the Orlando area by then, what goes into determining a flight delay? I know that my plane is scheduled to come in from California and then take me to Orlando. Does that help my chances seeing as how it's not coming from Orlando (bad weather) and then making a return trip? There are cancelations already for Thursday and Friday, do those cancellations affect my flight or do they try and reschedule those cancellations around flights like mine that may not have to be altered? Sorry for the long post, I'm just not sure how it all works...

Everything goes into flight delay - they will have no clue until they see how heavy the damage is. Either way, I foresee you being delayed - most planes delay on a normal day. You'll be following a full airport closure - not looking great.

Eddie Garrison

No offense Eddie, but this is a lot worse than 2004 or any of the storms since. I wish you well, you're on the better side of Orlando. I really hope you're right.

None taken. I lost three houses in Hurricanes when we lived in Pensacola. I am fully aware what a Hurricane can do.

We are prepared for what we need to be prepared for. Plenty of food, water, generator was tested and functioning as it should. Unfortunately, not out first rodeo with Hurricanes. Have been through many and will go through many more. Part of living in Florida.

I do hope everyone takes the proper precautions seriously. Many tend to freak out and that leads to worse conditions and unsafe environments.

21stamps

I must strongly disagree. Yes, building codes were improved after Andrew, but the population since 1991 has dramatically increased, especially along the coast.

To say we will never experience a storm of Andrew's magnitude again is foolhardy. While buildings may be better able to withstand a Category 5, other factors will result in similar damage.

I just stop and think (and am thankful for us) that Katrina's initial path to Apalachicola Bay shifted. Bad for NOLA, but we dodged that bullet.
They were improved again after Wilma. There's also new laws about gas stations required to have generators etc.. As soon as the port opens and fuel can get there we will never see the horrid lines of 2005 at gas stations and people running out of fuel. People won't be as cut off from supplies as they have been in the past. The state of Florida learned a lot after '04-'05, they learned that the post Andrew codes had flaws..and they've taken steps to correct that.

I'm not downplaying the impact that Matthew may very well have. But we will never see another aftermath like we had with Andrew.

JohnWfromPhilly

Yeah I'm hoping for the same, if I get there Saturday I'll be happy!

I'm also scheduled to arrive in MCO from Philly on Saturday early evening. I'm not sure if I should cancel or reschedule. I'm hoping that it will just pass over Orlando and be close to back to normal on Sunday. That might be wishful thinking, but I am willing to wait until at least Friday morning before making that decision. This will my family's first trip to WDW and hoping for the best...

JohnD

Original Poster
I thought about that, AFTER I lost power, lol. But I made some cold brew tea to get my caffeine fix in the AM. I drove to Publix Friday evening to get some ice and food after spending the day clearing up and the Starbucks on the way there was backed up.

Same here. I was standing in the coffee line at Publix. Fortunately, I had picked some grillable items to have for lunch and dinner on the Friday after it blew through. Again, I was up early Saturday morning and couldn't wait to drive to WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom