Hurricane Matthew

rk03221

I just feel bad for the cm who have to work tonight, they are potentially endangering them to make a dollar. They should close the parks at 4 or 5 not 7

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Unfortunately, many of our older residence halls are not hurricane ready. So our freshman students that have not left campus are now moving into campus buildings. They are responsible for bringing their own bedding and food for 3 days. They will be on the floor. This is not good.

No it is not good, it almost sounds like the groundwork for a Super Dome repeat. Hopefully it dose not do much damage and your guys areally able to get essential service up and running ASAP.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It's sad. Hotels that would normally be about say 95 a night are now 200 a night. People argue supply and demand but this is unethical.

Actually, it's illegal. And should be reported to the attorney general's or local state attorney's office. We had the same problem after Hermine. One of the local tree removal companies stated in a newspaper article that they were charging people $3,000 an hour to remove fallen trees. Stupid, because when the list came out of companies being investigated for price gouging, they were at the top of the list. Vendors, especially hotels, know price gouging during/after a storm is illegal. But some still try to do it.

Publix was amazing after Hermine. All their stores have generators and they kept them open as long as they could before the storm and opened up as soon as possible the next morning. And made every effort to keep ice stocked. Walmart? Yeah, had to pull perishable food from the shelves because they didn't have anyway to keep it cold. But probably sold some before they were told to toss it.

Bocko57

cant change to tampa and drive over to Orlando?

The airline is going to charge me the price difference to fly into another city and the price is about $200 per ticket. Thought about driving but the drive is about 16+ hours, and I would need to leave Friday.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The super 8 is now $100 plus. It is normally $50.

It has been reported that UCF and area schools may still be closed Monday and Tuesday of next week due to power outages and utilities.

After Hermine came through Tally, FSU was closed until the following Wednesday. And that storm hit Tally with winds about 60 mph.

Well, bippity is actually the 7th... There's no way to reschedule that for this trip... The weather reports say delve station like we've never seen.. My husband wants to head to Tennessee... I'm scared of getting caught in traffic. Would I-75 be bad?

Yes I75 is and will continue to be bad. I have to take 75 every day to get to work. Yesterday Took me 30 minutes to go 6 miles because of evacuation traffic in Georgia. please just stay where you are.

rodserling27

The airline is going to charge me the price difference to fly into another city and the price is about $200 per ticket. Thought about driving but the drive is about 16+ hours, and I would need to leave Friday.
Try calling up and arguing with them a little bit? I was charged an exorbitant change fee / rebooking fee/ etc for changing my flight from Friday to Saturday. I called the airline and raised a little bit of anger, and they refunded the entire thing while letting me keep my new plans. Granted I'm still flying into MCO, but hey, you never know.

LAKid53

Premium Member
We land tonight at Tampa and were planning on staying off property for the evening. Does anyone know what the chance would be of us getting an extra night at AKL upon arrival? The stress of moving from our off property hotel (although it's less than a mile from AKL) to AKL is really stressing me out. Thanks!

Please tell me you're not driving from Tampa to Orlando tonight after you land. That would be foolish...and dangerous.

cjgren

Please tell me you're not driving from Tampa to Orlando tonight after you land. That would be foolish...and dangerous.
We land before much of the high winds are scheduled to hit the resort area, so we're hoping we'll be alright. We have a town car service picking us up, we're not personally driving.

We managed to get a room a Caribbean Beach for the night and my TA is going to try to see if she can switch it to AKL during the day.

mgpan

They are acting like everything is perfectly fine because it is. Hurricanes happen and WDW is more than prepared for it. No one has ever died (or even been seriously injured) at WDW in a hurricane in its entire history. The place was built with this regularly occurring weather phenomenon in mind.

The worst that will happen is early park closure on possibly one day of your stay, if that. Oh and you may get kinda wet and want ponchos in the parks when it's raining, which can happen any time of the year.

The only people that should be rethinking are those who are scheduled to drive/fly in during the height of the storm. If you are already at WDW, forget about it - and just enjoy yourself and the lack of lines and think of the great story you will have when you get back.

So what about driving from AL on Saturday morning, with a (who knows with traffic) 2 p.m. or so planned (yes things can change) arrival?

21stamps

WTH? He/she's worried about the shoe order?

People died during Andrew. People died during Hermine and that was barely a hurricane at landfall.

I pray your friends are safe.
Update: just got off the phone with the one who lives on A1A.. She's going to evacuate later this afternoon, at least that's what she promised me. Here's why, her exact words - "I decided we will evacuate for sure. Not because of you and Rick Scott, but because I don't want my Mercedes to flood."

Folks, this is why you don't raise your children in Boca Raton.lol

LAKid53

Premium Member

Then ask to speak to a supervisor. My dad worked for a major airlines. This is one of those instances where they can be flexible. You just have to push back and go as high up the chain as you need to until you get what you need.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Update: just got off the phone with the one who lives on A1A.. She's going to evacuate later this afternoon, at least that's what she promised me. Here's why, her exact words - "I decided we will evacuate for sure. Not because of you and Rick Scott, but because I don't want my Mercedes to flood."

Folks, this is why you don't raise your children in Boca Raton.lol

Talk about entitled. And I hope she and her Mercedes are stuck on the road when it comes through.....

Edit: make that *aren't stuck* I would never wish harm for someone, no matter how foolish they may be. Blame it on my new phone...and it's wacky autocorrect. Everytime I type WDW, I get WDW.DVC.SALES@DISNEYVACATIONCLUB.COM......

I keep turning it off, but it has a mind of its own.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rutt

So silly Canadian question as we've never had to deal with anything like this is the past (Don't really get hurricanes up this way). We are driving down and will be leaving from Atlanta to Orlando on Saturday, well, Kissimmee anyway. We are contemplating booking an extra night in Atlanta just in case (we rented a home so whether we arrive Sat or Sun makes no difference) but wondering if that would be necessary or if we should be ok arriving Saturday afternoon/ evening?

21stamps

Talk about entitled. And I hope she and her Mercedes are stuck on the road when it comes through.....
I don't wish that for her. She's my closest friend. Her defense has been that there has been so many new laws, codes, and preparations since Wilma. I just wanted to point out how different people react when you have lived in a hurricane zone your entire life. It's a stark contrast.

The whole Mercedes and shoe thing is just funny to me because that mentality played a huge factor in me deciding to raise my son elsewhere.. It's so odd that I am so removed from it now. It's also odd to be watching a hurricane on the weather channel and not my local news. Lol

Last edited:

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Does anyone know if Disney forces cast members to come in work their shifts during a Hurricane? I mean all the hotels are not closing and they do need to have some type of skeleton crew working. Same thing with essential operations throughout the rest of the property. Just curious to know what they do with cast members.

LAKid53

Premium Member
We land before much of the high winds are scheduled to hit the resort area, so we're hoping we'll be alright. We have a town car service picking us up, we're not personally driving.

We managed to get a room a Caribbean Beach for the night and my TA is going to try to see if she can switch it to AKL during the day.

Okay, reality check. You might find it difficult driving to the Orlando area. Why? Because roads like I-4 will become one way, both sides, to facilitate evacuation. Which means in the direction away from Central Florida.

I don't care if you have a car service. It will not be fun driving in the direction of the storm, once the outer bands hit the area today. Stay in Tampa tonight. Don't risk it.

DisneyDoug85

The hurricane will be gone from this area by Saturday morning. I would expect widespread airline delays on Saturday though. You will get here it just may not be on time.

Again I don't want to make it seem like my flight is a bigger worry than people's lives....but I hope you're right. I can deal with a delay I just don't want to miss a full day/days from my trip. My kids are soooo excited....

DisneyDoug85

Yep, I'm coming from Philly Saturday night (changed from Friday night). I think you may be OK, it all depends on what condition MCO is in by then, ya know? And if the storm doesn't move erratically from its current path.

This is what I am thinking too. I'm not counting on getting in on time Saturday night, but I am thinking it will still happen.

Yeah I'm hoping for the same, if I get there Saturday I'll be happy!

PhilharMagician

What's the deal with Fort wilderness Resort and Campsite closing now thru Sunday? Have guests been asked to leave and find shelter elsewhere? Or is it that no further check-ins allowed?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom