Hurricane Irma

IanDLBZF

I just contacted friends in the Miami area to let them know that my home is open to them. We may still be miserable, and scared to death, but the probability is that we will survive.
Could you do the same for any friends you have who are in the Key West Area?

Q.

What does it mean for my vacation plans if a hurricane warning is issued within 7 days of my arrival date?

A.

If a hurricane warning is issued by the National Hurricane Center for the Orlando area—or for your place of residence—within 7 days of your scheduled arrival date, you may call in advance to reschedule or cancel your Walt Disney Travel Company Magic Your Way vacation package and most room only reservations (booked directly with Disney) without any cancellation or change fees imposed by Disney.

If you have products and services provided by third-party suppliers included in your vacation—such as airlines, hotels, car rental agencies or vacation insurance companies—you will continue to be responsible for any non-refundable payments, as well as cancellation or change fees assessed by those suppliers. The policy does not apply to certain special events or dining experiences.

This policy also applies to Disney's Vero Beach Resort or Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort in the event a hurricane warning is issued for those destinations.

If you have questions or you wish to reschedule your vacation due to a hurricane warning, please call (407) 939-7675. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.
This is a Yes and No Question. Yes everything Disney you are good, but you are on the hook for all the Third Party fees. As I said, Make the calls now. Honestly, I like what happened when JustinScarred on Youtube was in WDW for Mathew. He was in a cabin at FW, and was moved to a room at the POP.

I've seen this on their website as well. However, it says that they won't give me any cancellation or change fees. Okay. But what about the $3000 that I paid for the actual trip. I know they aren't going to charge me anything to move my reservation to another week, but their website doesn't explicitly say I'll be getting a 100% refund... though that is how I read it.

dreamfinder912

So i live pretty close to magic kingdom and aside from Matthew who mercifully decided to turn away, this is my first hurricane. I'm super terrified. I'm used to like snowstorms that lose steam as they travel across a state. not a giant swirling vortex of doom that only weakens eventually. Ironically, I have a trip planned to Disney for my birthday next week (more specifically to celebrate my birthday at food and wine for the first time ever since F+W started so early this year). Mother nature has a hell of a sense of humor.

monykalyn

YES. I was going through the hurricane supplies with my husband (he has always had to stay at work for previous ones) and he wondered what the phone was about. We still have a landline, but have cordless phones - which will not work if the power goes out. I picked up a couple at a thrift store a few years ago. Also a good place to pick up some cheap work clothes - trust me, if you're doing some major post -storm clean-up your clothes will be ruined. You won't be able to really wash anything if no one has power. And anything you hand wash will take a long time to dry.
So my kid's apartment has a corded landline phone (She is doing the DCP, and is scheduled to work at CBR anyway) but I just realized we don't have a phone card for her to call out anyway! Haven't needed one of those in a very long while. Thankfully she went a couple days ago and stocked up on water and nonperishable food and full tank of gas. Also will have a phone charger (solar) that has a flashlight built in as well (her dad just sent this to her off amazon). We are used to storm prepping (have lived in or near Tornado Alley for last 30 years) so she isn't panicked/terrified/ready to leave like some of the kids there.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
On the phone note, another tip-

If you use your car to charge your phone, make sure you have it running. Sounds like common sense, but I was so scared of using feul so I didn't want to leave my car running and just left my phone plugged in my car for a while. After a few days of doing so, my battery in my car was completely dead.

And don't run your car in a garage with the door closed... had to stop a friend doing that during Sandy.

infra_eyewall.gif

Well, that's awfully scary looking. The northern Leeward Islands are going to have a rough day tomorrow.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
infra_eyewall.gif

Well, that's awfully scary looking. The northern Leeward Islands are going to have a rough day tomorrow.

There's been some amazing images of the storm. If only it wasn't making a beeline for the state I live in...

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
IMG_4718.PNG
18z GFS is way out east which is good news and is consistent with how the model has been behaving over the past dozen runs. Only bad news is that the 883 mb pressure maintains a major cat5 but limits wind issues to the immediate coast. Bad news for the Bahamas though...

View attachment 226810 18z GFS is way out east which is good news and is consistent with how the model has been behaving over the past dozen runs. Only bad news is that the 883 mb pressure maintains a major cat5 but limits wind issues to the immediate coast. Bad news for the Bahamas though...

Also, just FYI, the GFS has a known issue where it is too aggressive with the pressure forecasts. This has been discussed ad nauseum over the last couple days on some weathernerd boards I'm on :)

And while the GFS continues to shift east, the Euro and some other models insist on a Peninsula runner or FL Keys/west coast of Florida hit.

Still a long way out. Keep watching the models, keep prepping, keep hoping for the best.

JohnD

Original Poster
On the phone note, another tip-

If you use your car to charge your phone, make sure you have it running. Sounds like common sense, but I was so scared of using feul so I didn't want to leave my car running and just left my phone plugged in my car for a while. After a few days of doing so, my battery in my car was completely dead.

Just make sure that if your car is in a garage, the garage door is up. In your effort to survive the hurricane, you don't want to die of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Just make sure that if your car is in a garage, the garage door is up. I'm your effort to survive the hurricane, you don't want to die of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Sadly, you can expect at least one person to die from CO poisoning because they are running a portable generator in their garage...

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I
Also, just FYI, the GFS has a known issue where it is too aggressive with the pressure forecasts. This has been discussed ad nauseum over the last couple days on some weathernerd boards I'm on :)

And while the GFS continues to shift east, the Euro and some other models insist on a Peninsula runner or FL Keys/west coast of Florida hit.

Still a long way out. Keep watching the models, keep prepping, keep hoping for the best.

It's seems the Euro has been all over the place and seems like it isn't handling the low pressure trough leaving the north-east responsible for the turn north. The Euro seems far too south to make the radical turn it is suggesting. With regards to the GFS I really don't have a problem with the pressure forecast given how powerful Irma has become and will continue to be with the warm SST and low shear conditions it is forecasted to pass through.

Of course we'll know for sure in a two days for sure...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom