Hurricane Irma

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
You do understand that for many people their vacations get locked in through their employers months in advance, and for many that cant simply push it back two months? Theres no guarantee this will even hit the Orlando area so telling people to stay away at this moment is wrong. People should continue to keep an eye on this and treat it very seriously and we will all have more information come Friday. Please get off your high horse. Thanks!
Friday will be too late.
And all the high horses have already left for north Alabama.

The Mom

Premium Member
And if you're a dinosaur, like me, with a land line, a CORDED phone....

YES. I was going through the hurricane supplies with my husband (he has always had to stay at work for previous ones) and he wondered what the phone was about. We still have a landline, but have cordless phones - which will not work if the power goes out. I picked up a couple at a thrift store a few years ago. Also a good place to pick up some cheap work clothes - trust me, if you're doing some major post -storm clean-up your clothes will be ruined. You won't be able to really wash anything if no one has power. And anything you hand wash will take a long time to dry.

21stamps

On the phone note, another tip-

If you use your car to charge your phone, make sure you have it running. Sounds like common sense, but I was so scared of using feul so I didn't want to leave my car running and just left my phone plugged in my car for a while. After a few days of doing so, my battery in my car was completely dead.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
On the phone note, another tip-

If you use your car to charge your phone, make sure you have it running. Sounds like common sense, but I was so scared of using feul so I didn't want to leave my car running and just left my phone plugged in my car for a while. After a few days of doing so, my battery in my car was completely dead.

*shakes head*

The Mom

Premium Member
If it looks like by Friday Irma may head my way, I'm going Lowe's and get one of those little Colman camping stoves.

Oh, if you have a grill, make sure to get more fuel to power it. And get an old fashioned tea kettle. You can boil water on the grill - I did it in 1985.

And, even though they are incredibly inefficient, an alcohol stove (Sterno) can be used safely in the house. I put mine on top of my range to boil water for instant coffee and tea. My neighbor has a gas stove, but I didn't want to wake him too early.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Sadly, this photo will be replaced by a new one....

Screenshot_20170905-180232.jpg

LAKid53

Premium Member
And, even though they are incredibly inefficient, an alcohol stove (Sterno) can be used safely in the house. I put mine on top of my range to boil water for instant coffee and tea. My neighbor has a gas stove, but I didn't want to wake him too early.

A chafing dish with sterno. That was part of our hurricane shelf in Miami.

Jedi Stitch

We're supposed to at WDW from 9/9 to 9/17... I'm not sure what to do except watch the reports for now. Hope all of you who are located in Florida are preparing and doing well!
I would call who ever you booked thru, because that would be the middle of it. Hope you have travel insurance.

The Mom

Premium Member
Who do you think does not need them? I think it's safe to say the entire state could be in danger.

It is more than likely that the entire state will have some sort of damage. But, for instance, in my case even with a direct hit worse case scenario I will only have some flooding and house damage. Unless something collapses on me I have an almost 0% chance of dying due to drowning. I am much more likely to have an accidental death after the storm, due to downed power lines, chain saw injuries, venomous snakes and insects, etc. There are thousands of people in the state in the same situation.

But there are many in Zone A whose homes will be underwater, and they MUST get out or risk dying. I am in one of the higher zones.

disney4life2008

No kidding. Make plans tonight to leave within the next 24 hours if told to do so.

Im in Orlando. This morning everyone was calm. But 5pm today it was full on panic. There is no water left at any store. The 711 down from my house said a shipment of water is coming in Thursday at 4am. He said get there at 2am. Walmart shelves including food was near empty

I would call who ever you booked thru, because that would be the middle of it. Hope you have travel insurance.

I have the same travel dates... booked through Disney. I didn't get travel insurance. I was under the impression that Disney has kind of a no questions asked policy when a hurricane warning goes up and will issue a full refund. Is this not true?

LAKid53

Premium Member
It is more than likely that the entire state will have some sort of damage. But, for instance, in my case even with a direct hit worse case scenario I will only have some flooding and house damage. Unless something collapses on me I have an almost 0% chance of dying due to drowning. I am much more likely to have an accidental death after the storm, due to downed power lines, chain saw injuries, venomous snakes and insects, etc. There are thousands of people in the state in the same situation.

But there are many in Zone A whose homes will be underwater, and they MUST get out or risk dying. I am in one of the higher zones.

I'm 40 miles inland...and at the top of a hill. My issues are those you've stated. But those in the Keys, coastal areas, barrier islands and areas prone to flooding need to evacuate inland. Lord knows what the storm surge will be with this monster. Imagine if it comes in at Tampa Bay....

Jedi Stitch

I have the same travel dates... booked through Disney. I didn't get travel insurance. I was under the impression that Disney has kind of a no questions asked policy when a hurricane warning goes up and will issue a full refund. Is this not true?
Q.

What does it mean for my vacation plans if a hurricane warning is issued within 7 days of my arrival date?

A.

If a hurricane warning is issued by the National Hurricane Center for the Orlando area—or for your place of residence—within 7 days of your scheduled arrival date, you may call in advance to reschedule or cancel your Walt Disney Travel Company Magic Your Way vacation package and most room only reservations (booked directly with Disney) without any cancellation or change fees imposed by Disney.

If you have products and services provided by third-party suppliers included in your vacation—such as airlines, hotels, car rental agencies or vacation insurance companies—you will continue to be responsible for any non-refundable payments, as well as cancellation or change fees assessed by those suppliers. The policy does not apply to certain special events or dining experiences.

This policy also applies to Disney's Vero Beach Resort or Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort in the event a hurricane warning is issued for those destinations.

If you have questions or you wish to reschedule your vacation due to a hurricane warning, please call (407) 939-7675. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.
This is a Yes and No Question. Yes everything Disney you are good, but you are on the hook for all the Third Party fees. As I said, Make the calls now. Honestly, I like what happened when JustinScarred on Youtube was in WDW for Mathew. He was in a cabin at FW, and was moved to a room at the POP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom