Hurricane Irma

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Has anybody heard any estimates of how many guests are still at Disney World?

No idea but I have a feeling it's emptying out. We are in EPCOT now about 5mins till Illuminations it's empty here! Also no line for any food and wine booths even at dinner time!

Attachments

• 20170907_205231.jpg
    20170907_205231.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 20170907_205231.jpg
    20170907_205231.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 100

JohnD

Original Poster
I live in Tallahassee. Most stores ate out of bottled water because people are buying enough to fill an Olympic sized swimming pool. Which means people on wells can't get water.

It's insane and Tally isn't in the direct path. Grr.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Do they live in JAX? Are they evacuating from someplace else? As I've mentioned, I'm in JAX, not in a flood zone (but no one is safe from tornadoes) and I have 2 empty bedrooms. I have been emailing and texting everyone I know who may live in zone A -C. No takers yet.

I've had emails/texts from friends/relatives as far north as Maine offering us a place to stay. But I'll be OK here.

Mom, I'd wish I'd known that. Yes, they live in Jax. She's a nursing student at North Florida. I'm sure both her parents would have preferred they drive back to Tally, but she's 33 and very independent. Probably turning it into a road trip, knowing her...

John park hopper

Omg just got a traffic update.

Friends left Key West at 10:40am headed towards Orlando, then leaving the state tomorrow. Current status- Sitting in stopped traffic near Yeehaw Junction, for the past hour.

Has anyone driven from Orlando area out of the state yet? How long does that take?

My sister in Boyton Beach got enough gas plus 5 gals in a can and headed up I-95 with her family,talked to her on the phone what normally would be an hour or so drive to Vero Beach took 4 hours stop and crawl heading to Atlanta. I aked her why they did not reverse the south bound lanes north she had no idea. She said she saw a hand full of cars headed south that was it. No gas and people are burning up gas going no where and the powers to be where are they. Posted before SC reverses I-26 and it WORKS. I would think the govenor has some answering to do on this one.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
My sister in Boyton Beach got enough gas plus 5 gals in a can and headed up I-95 with her family,talked to her on the phone what normally would be an hour or so drive to Vero Beach took 4 hours stop and crawl heading to Atlanta. I aked her why they did not reverse the south bound lanes north she had no idea. She said she saw a hand full of cars headed south that was it. No gas and people are burning up gas going no where and the powers to be where are they. Posted before SC reverses I-26 and it WORKS. I would think the govenor has some answering to do on this one.

Last I heard they kept the southbound lanes in that direction so supplies could still get down south.

The Mom

Premium Member
I know no one here was alive for the Hurricane of 38 (they didn't name them back then) which made landfall at Long Island, and then moved up through New England. It was Cat 3 when it hit Providence RI. When I was growing up, I always saw the markers on the downtown buildings. The water mark for a named storm (?Carol) was well above my head. The one for 1938 was even higher. The topography of where the storm is hitting makes a HUGE difference. So yes, a 4 might be "worse" than a 3 - but sometimes it can do more damage.

LAKid53

Premium Member

As someone pointed out to me when I posted the same, tbey are still moving supplies and people down south, so they need those southbound lanes.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I posted this down in the MLB thread earlier, but thought some of you might be interested. I realize sports is of little significance right now with what all is going on with this storm....but, if any of you from Fla have evacuated to the Atlanta area, and want something to do to get your mind off of this storm & the stress for a little while, the Atlanta Braves are offering free tickets to the Braves - Marlins series this weekend to any Floridian seeking refuge in the area.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...aves-marlins-free-tickets-20170907-story.html

Like I said, baseball & sports seem petty compared to what many of you are going through currently. But maybe that will help some with a way to get your mind off it all while you're away from home. Everyone stay safe!

That's great to hear! Atlanta's such a cool place.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Me too. Not 51 years, but more than half of my life.. and there's many places that I do not know.. like pretty much anything north of Orlando with the exception of Jacksonville and Pensacola.Lol

And you missed the city in the middle?! Shame on you. ;)

The Mom

Premium Member
Last I heard they kept the southbound lanes in that direction so supplies could still get down south.

The Southbound lanes probably won't close until late Saturday/Sunday. Quite frankly, there are still people driving south to pick up family to bring them north. My neighbor is flying out to MN first thing in the morning. She is older than I, and was discharged from the hospital today. Her family wants her with them (although my neighbor and I would have taken her in.) My neighbor got her a flight a few days ago.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I know no one here was alive for the Hurricane of 38 (they didn't name them back then) which made landfall at Long Island, and then moved up through New England. It was Cat 3 when it hit Providence RI. When I was growing up, I always saw the markers on the downtown buildings. The water mark for a named storm (?Carol) was well above my head. The one for 1938 was even higher. The topography of where the storm is hitting makes a HUGE difference. So yes, a 4 might be "worse" than a 3 - but sometimes it can do more damage.

A little ol' #1 caused 90% of Tallahassee to be without power a year ago. So, yes, topography and vegetation (trees in our case) can increase the damage of a smaller storm.

JohnD

Original Poster
Do they live in JAX? Are they evacuating from someplace else? As I've mentioned, I'm in JAX, not in a flood zone (but no one is safe from tornadoes) and I have 2 empty bedrooms. I have been emailing and texting everyone I know who may live in zone A -C. No takers yet.

I've had emails/texts from friends/relatives as far north as Maine offering us a place to stay. But I'll be OK here.

My folks are in Jax. Zone C in Ortega Forest. They're staying. Not for a lack of trying here in Tally.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom