Hurricane Irma

JoeCamel

If you're not an essential employee anywhere, the best idea is to get out and get out while you can. I'm hearing the reports and seeing the pictures that the highways are literally jammed from Miami up to Tampa... This is basically one big mass evacuation that probably no one in Florida (or Florida's gov't) thought they'd ever see.
Basically full but moving all the way to Georgia.... so far...

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I think the common sense point that is trying to be made is let's see what happens......AND THEN BAN TOURISTS if needed.

I live literally on top of the San Andreas Fault. If there was a flurry of small earthquakes, and the supposed "Big One" was possibly on the way, I wouldn't be calling for all tourism to be stopped in Palm Springs before it actually hit and things were destroyed.

Are you under the assumption that people are going to start pouring into Disney World even if Orlando is totally destroyed?
I'm due to fly into MCO on the 14th, there's no way I'm going there if there's heavy damage. Nor would I be able to. The lack of Hotel or Airline availability would stop me.

Buy not everyone, sadly. I'm sure we'll see the threads next week.

mousehockey37

Very, very true.

They were saying on the news that it's "normal" to have to evacuate one coast or the other, but due to the sheer size of this storm, it's going to have catastrophic results on the whole peninsula. So to have to evacuate pretty much the lower half of the state has got to be something out of a doomsday book in the dark recesses of Florida's gov't building.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Are you trying to get out of the drink that you will owe me?lol

Depending on what happens it might not be till November, if the port of Miami even exists at that time.

Somehow I think that game will be rescheduled. I always said it would be November when you get back from your cruise.

LAKid53

Premium Member
They were saying on the news that it's "normal" to have to evacuate one coast or the other, but due to the sheer size of this storm, it's going to have catastrophic results on the whole peninsula. So to have to evacuate pretty much the lower half of the state has got to be something out of a doomsday book in the dark recesses of Florida's gov't building.

God, the basement of the Capital building? I hope not....

John park hopper

OK I'm going to try to explain this to you. In 2005 there were millions of people without power for close to a month. There were thousands and thousands of people without a roof or windows, or with a flooded home. Where do you think these people went?

You are absolutely correct I know, post Hugo we had a house that was unliveable, we had no power for a over a month, we were forced to rent until our house was fixed which took 6 months because so many others were in the same boat. What apartments and house availablle to rent were far and few. On the scale of Irma its going to be worse, this storm is going from the bottom of Florida right to the GA line.There will be thousands without livable homes looking to rent --Anything What a nightmare for all these people coming home to a destroyed house you feel numb and its not something you get over quickly.

No they don't. There are other sources of revenue besides tourism....

lol.

it's not the size of the storm; it's the angle of approach. if this same size storm was moving due west and headed straight for miami, you'd evacuate the endangered areas of monroe, dade, broward, palm beach counties.... maybe collier, martin, and st. lucie counties.

the issue is that given the uncertainty of the track and the logistics of moving so many people, you have to evacuate before that track is nailed down. this thing could still hit the keys, the southwest florida coast, or just about anywhere along the east coast of florida (and places north).

it's about the number of people in the cone of uncertainty moreso than the size of the storm.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I think the common sense point that is trying to be made is let's see what happens......AND THEN BAN TOURISTS if needed.

I live literally on top of the San Andreas Fault. If there was a flurry of small earthquakes, and the supposed "Big One" was possibly on the way, I wouldn't be calling for all tourism to be stopped in Palm Springs before it actually hit and things were destroyed.

Are you under the assumption that people are going to start pouring into Disney World even if Orlando is totally destroyed?
I'm due to fly into MCO on the 14th, there's no way I'm going there if there's heavy damage. Nor would I be able to. The lack of Hotel or Airline availability would stop me.

The fault runs off the corner of my parents property. Fotunately they're on granite so the '89 quake didn't do much damage.

mousehockey37

lol.

it's not the size of the storm; it's the angle of approach. if this same size storm was moving due west and headed straight for miami, you'd evacuate the endangered areas of monroe, dade, broward, palm beach counties.... maybe collier, martin, and st. lucie counties.

the issue is that given the uncertainty of the track and the logistics of moving so many people, you have to evacuate before that track is nailed down. this thing could still hit the keys, the southwest florida coast, or just about anywhere along the east coast of florida (and places north).

it's about the number of people in the cone of uncertainty moreso than the size of the storm.

The fact that it's not supposed to downgrade to anything less than a Cat 4 before getting up to Georgia too.

21stamps

Exactly. This is something unprecedented that's never been seen. Both coasts being told to get out of harms way.

Like I said earlier though... Jim Cantore is setting up shop somewhere... You see him... You KNOW you need to go.

South East and South West coast Zone A's do get evacuated simultaneously more than once.

It's just never been this amount of people from more than one Zone and in so many counties at once.

21stamps

You are absolutely correct I know, post Hugo we had a house that was unliveable, we had no power for a over a month, we were forced to rent until our house was fixed which took 6 months because so many others were in the same boat. What apartments and house availablle to rent were far and few. On the scale of Irma its going to be worse, this storm is going from the bottom of Florida right to the GA line.There will be thousands without livable homes looking to rent --Anything What a nightmare for all these people coming home to a destroyed house you feel numb and its not something you get over quickly.

I can't even imagine. So sorry that happened to you.

We can hope this one still moves!

JohnD

Original Poster
Surprised yours hasn't been cancelled. Ours was moved to noon and I see Miami cancelled theirs. Thinking there will be a sparse crowd at the game...hot, storm and QB.

Speaking of canceling the Miami game. I wonder what will become of the FSU-Miami game on 9/16. News media says a possible solution is to move it to open date of 10/4. With evacuees in Tally, that would be a good decision. We'll see.

Chicagoshannon2

We're in Smoky Mountains at the moment. The word on the street is Gatlinburg is discounting hotel rooms 30-40% for people being displaced. I guess they're expecting a lot of people in the next couple of days. I'm glad we're heading back to IL tomorrow morning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom