Hurricane Irma

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
zOMG what did people do before the Magic Kingdom existed? The psychological damage caused to kids for thousands of years must be epic. Maybe they might... read? Play games? Seriously... you are trying to justify that THOUSANDS of workers should be drawn into work so a few kids don't get cabin fever??

What on earth do the thousands of children who wait out weather incidents do around the world every year without the MK right around the corner from them...

They read, play epic Monopoly and other board games, play cards, bug their parents, play on phones and tablets, bug their parents

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Getting real at CBR trashcans being secured to posts at bus stops

Attachments

• 20170907_172513.jpg
    20170907_172513.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 126

flynnibus

Premium Member
I highly doubt they're trying to squeeze out extra profits this weekend at the expense of Cast Member safety.
The money they'd make would be the rounding error of a rounding error on their huge company's bottom line.
Spare me

I got great news for you... its math even you can figure it out. There are only 52 weeks in a year... Taking one away is not trivial or 'rounding errors'. It's why even the SHIFT of a holiday vs the reporting periods is mentioned in the financial reports.

But if you do believe the money related with the week is a rounding error... why even bother operating? Your own argument defeats itself.

21stamps

This. Hyperbole doesn't help anything. Only getting the heck out of dodge when and if somebody can does.

I'd wager that most on this forum were definitely alive and aware during Katrina and Iniki. I know that a lot remember Camille. And those are just US storms. I'm pretty sure most of this forum were alive during typhoons Haiyan, Thelma, or Linda in recent years.

The 1975 typhoon Nina killed nearly 230,000 people.

The US has been hit by a grand total of 3 Category 5 hurricanes.

2 of which were in Florida. Only one of them is recent enough for many of us to have been alive at that time.

I do think that it's ok for people to be very concerned with Irma, and they aren't overreacting.

Dubman

I pray to God that the current track is not going to materialize. It's probably the worst case scenario for the whole state of Florida.

Looks as though the center is forecast to track directly over central Florida..

:(

21stamps

To reiterate, MCO - Orlando International Airport - will cease operations at 5pm local time Saturday. Confirmed this time.

If someone is in Disney until Tuesday, and worst case their flight is cancelled, will they be able to stay? Has that happened before?

jgj123

[
It seems that they have been keeping perspective. Irma has sustained 180+ mph winds for over two days, the last report I saw this morning, and its breadth is huge by comparison to others.
Trying to keep perspective. Maybe my choice of words seem a bit hyperbolic, and I hope to God I've overstated things. But this is a deadly storm that's bearing down on Florida. I lived Katrina and this is going to be worse.

FYI, here is a brief article on the only 3 storms to hit the US mainland as Cat 5. http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/07/us/three-category-5-hurricanes-landfall-trnd/index.html

I was 5 for Camille. Andrew went across the southern tip of Florida through Dade County, Irma's paths are going to have a much broader impact. I pray that it weakens and/or somehow takes a less destructive path.

Tell them it is like an EF 4 tornado being directly over head for hours, not mere minutes.

But that's not even close to what the conditions will be like in Orlando. Go look at pictures from Tuscaloosa, Alabama in April 2011 when an EF4 tornado was hitting any given spot for less than a minute. Orlando won't have anywhere near as much damage as that. More like an EF-0 tornado, maybe EF-1 if the track winds up being particularly bad for Orlando. When people use hyperbole like this, you are probably doing more harm than good.

The reality is Orlando will probably fare just fine. You just have to balance if you want to deal with 2, maybe 3 days of parks being closed... and being stuck in a hotel... possibly without power.

Slow down and take a breath. Katrina (Cat 5) was only twelve years ago, and there have been other big nasties in the last forty years. Not minimising the seriousness of Irma, but let's keep a little perspective.

Matthew reached cat 5 status less than a year ago. It stayed just offshore, largely sparing Florida, and certainly sparing Orlando... and this could happen again. Plenty of people canceled their Disney vacations and probably wish in retrospect they had not. Amazing how quickly people forget.

donsullivan

Premium Member
If someone is in Disney until Tuesday, and worst case their flight is cancelled, will they be able to stay? Has that happened before?

It can never be guaranteed but as a result of the storm many people with upcoming reservations starting early next week will not be able to get here which will create 'some' capacity to support. However, the massive number of people evacuating are looking for any room they can find in central Florida and it is likely WDW may be at near 100% occupancy. Hotel rooms in central FL are already becoming scarce to get with all of the evacuees arriving.Disney will do what they can but they only have finite capacity

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom