Hurricane Irma

disneygeek90

I think you are downplaying what Matthew looked like it could do a couple days out.

The effects 60-70 miles west of the center of Irma are going to be similar to the effects 60-70 miles of Matthew. San Juan Puerto Rico got within 50 miles of the center of the storm and never saw hurricane force winds.

If the storm takes a similar path relative to Orlando that Matthew took (and that's what the current track shows) then I think that's pretty reasonable.

If the storm makes a landfall, even for just a few hours down in south Florida near Miami (God help them) then the storm might be even weaker than Matthew was when it passes east of WDW 12 hours later.
The post directly above you is citing 100mph winds in San Juan, so there are clearly conflicting reports. I hope you are right, but I am remaining cautious.

rocketraccoon

Can you take 85 instead of 75? We always go 85 to Atlanta. Much less traffic and speeds are similar to 75 - 65 to 70 mph most of the way.
That seems a lot more out of the way, even with traffic.

3htV8Eo.png

lazyboy97o

Are the highrises usually built with concrete or steel beams?
Concrete seems to be most popular in Florida. Either way, they have to meet the same design criteria.

Just glass won't. Laminated glass will take a hell of a lot of damage before it fails. Of course the odds of it being laminated glass above the 3rd floor is pretty slim.
Glazing above 30’ should still be laminated in order to meet the small missile impact requirements and any associated safety glazing requirements.

And 20 story is basically a Midrise
High rise design requirements kick in for 75’-0” above fire department access (the street).

21stamps

Could be something as simple as falling debris or a down power line near a few inches of water. Sadly there are a lot of different things that make hurricanes deadly.

Yeah, so many times it's "fallen tree" or power line etc because the people were outside. Have no idea if that's what happened in PR, but stay inside people!!

MotherOfBirds

Yeah, so many times it's "fallen tree" or power line etc because the people were outside. Have no idea if that's what happened in PR, but stay inside people!!

With winds like they were having in the Caribbean, it probably didn't take long for the inside to become the outside.

Dubman

Some friends canceled their trip for next week and we are trying to talk them into going with us 11/4 - 11/12.. Looking at availability there are no rooms for that week! I know its jersey week, but just seems odd that every single Disney hotel is sold out for those dates. Maybe because a lot of people have already rescheduled?

Good luck and our thoughts are with everyone in the storms path!

The post directly above you is citing 100mph winds in San Juan, so there are clearly conflicting reports. I hope you are right, but I am remaining cautious.

https://www.wunderground.com/histor...name=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=&MR=1

As the storm made its closest approach (when the winds shifted direction) the highest gust at this particular location was about 63mph. There may have been gusts a little higher than that, but overall, not that bad.

Have you seen the pictures of the damage out of Puerto Rico? Me neither.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
085945_wind_history.png

Swath of sustained Hurricane force winds never really made it to the majority of Puerto Rico. But this in no way diminishes the danger of sustained Tropical Storm Force Winds (<75MPH). Not also to say that there weren't any hurricane force gusts in the area.

21stamps

Concrete seems to be most popular in Florida. Either way, they have to meet the same design criteria.

Glazing above 30’ should still be laminated in order to meet the small missile impact requirements and any associated safety glazing requirements.

High rise design requirements kick in for 75’-0” above fire department access (the street).

I know, I was talking about wind and high buildings.. I've never lived in the 40+ story buildings.. I was always lived in buildings that were 15-20 stories from ground level. We call those "midrises" even though we know they are technically high rise. (Most of the time the parking garage/pool/community rooms) take up the first few floors). I'd be more worried about the 40+ buildings, but again, I trust the cities who are allowing them to be built.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
That seems a lot more out of the way, even with traffic.

3htV8Eo.png

True, but keep it in mind.... There are no hotels available in Bainbridge, Tifton, Valdosta - every decent sized city to Atlanta. And there's not much left in Atlanta, so I'm expecting 75 to be bumper to be bumper to bumper.

disneygeek90

https://www.wunderground.com/histor...name=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=&MR=1

As the storm made its closest approach (when the winds shifted direction) the highest gust at this particular location was about 63mph. There may have been gusts a little higher than that, but overall, not that bad.

Have you seen the pictures of the damage out of Puerto Rico? Me neither.
Just because PR looks like it has been mostly spared does not mean that Florida can take this lightly. I am hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

Just because PR looks like it has been mostly spared does not mean that Florida can take this lightly. I am hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

No doubt. And if this thing comes on shore, it's all bets off where it makes landfall. And you have to be prepared for that worst 5% case.

However, for those of us who are just planning vacations during this time, if there is an 90% chance that there are no sustained hurricane force winds in WDW, we may still go through with our trip. Just trying to figure out how many days are most likely going to be lost due to the storm.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Some friends canceled their trip for next week and we are trying to talk them into going with us 11/4 - 11/12.. Looking at availability there are no rooms for that week! I know its jersey week, but just seems odd that every single Disney hotel is sold out for those dates. Maybe because a lot of people have already rescheduled?

Also Wine and Dine Half Marathon that weekend and F&W ends the following weekend.

DisneyJoe

We've had major issues with availability and dining for jersey week for months. It filled fast. It is also the final week of Food and Wine and the beginning of that is the Wine and Dine Half Marathon weekend.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I was under the impression that the code still did not require them over 30' even for the wind borne debris region.

21stamps

Right. So comparable to Hurricane Matthew's effects on central Florida.

I honestly wish that people who are in safe areas would stop evacuating.

I understand that everyone wants to be comfortable and doesn't want to lose power etc., but if you can't get a flight out, just stay off the roads.

There are millions of people south who are in real danger.

21stamps

I was under the impression that the code still did not require them over 30' even for the wind borne debris region.

I know you have said that I just don't understand how these buildings can advertise in that way. Like as I've previously spoken to you about, and buildings specifically like mine that wouldn't even cover the actual units themselves. So are they advertising that their sales office is safe?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom