Hurricane Irma

21stamps

The reason their is not a Category 6 is because the scale is tied to potential destruction of property and Category 5 is the limits of what can be built. South Florida around Miami is in what the Florida Building Code calls the High Velocity Hurricane Zone and special Miami-Dade testing is required of building products used in this area. Despite those extra requirements, this storm is exceeding those limits so no one can really know what will happen.

What do they think could happen? Worst case scenario? There must be some idea.
The only thing I was ever concerned with was debris flying, windows, tiles from the roof, and the aftermath, not the structure itself failing.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Exactly. It's not like this is being done on a whim. There's a Cat5 hurricane heading for Florida. If an employer's stance is - "Nope, sorry, your vacation is locked in!", the response should be - "Ok, then I quit".

Private employers in the state need to take a hint from Rick Scott and allow employees in those areas under evacuation time to pack up and leave. I've seen the photos of I-75, I-95, and the Turnpike. A trip that normally takes 3-4 hours is now taking twice that. Imagine what tomorrow will be like. It's pretty crummy as an employer to force your employees to choose between a job and the safety of them and their families.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Are you worried about the cranes? There's so much construction right now, if a crane hit a building could it compromise the entire structure?

Basically, what is the worst case scenario for all of the high rises? In the past it's mostly been windows and exterior damage.
It is my understanding that tower cranes are designed to take a Cat 4 hurricane. It will be dicey for them, but I suspect they will survive. I would however not bet my life on it.

Flooding, wind damage. But I don't ever remember reading that a high rise along the coast was actually blown over. The pylons supporting the structure are probably at least 10 feet in the ground.

@Master Yoda, can you confirm?
Never heard of one blowing over.

I also can't imagine them not having rather deep pilings as it is not uncommon to see a simple 2 story house built on the beach in north Florida with rather deep pilings, let alone a 20-30 story building.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
For those with shortwave radios you might want to listen to the Hurricane Net which has WXOBS from the affected areas. These are Ham Operators but many of them are located at 'official sites'

8am / 1100 UTC 14.325 MHz
6pm / 2200 UTC 7.268 MHz

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Private employers in the state need to take a hint from Rick Scott and allow employees in those areas under evacuation time to pack up and leave. I've seen the photos of I-75, I-95, and the Turnpike. A trip that normally takes 3-4 hours is now taking twice that. Imagine what tomorrow will be like. It's pretty crummy as an employer to force your employees to choose between a job and the safety of them and their families.

Try being an 'essential' government employee as I have been in a past life where one is expected to be on duty no matter what and your leadership does not give a damn about the health and safety of your family.

At least at a private employee when a state of emergency is declared and roads are closed one is off the hook so to speak.

Not so for 'essential' government employees who are expected to show up no matter what.

LAKid53

Premium Member
It is my understanding that tower cranes are designed to take a Cat 4 hurricane. It will be dicey for them, but I suspect they will survive. I would however not bet my life on it.

I also can imagine them not having rather deep pilings as it is not uncommon to see a simple 2 story house built on the beach in north Florida with rather deep pilings, lut alone a 20-30 story building.

After Dennis, that changed. Pilings now have a minimum footage in the ground and above surface. I'm thinking a minimum 6 feet down and 20 feet above ground.

21stamps

I also can't imagine them not having rather deep pilings as it is not uncommon to see a simple 2 story house built on the beach in north Florida with rather deep pilings, let alone a 20-30 story building.

I feel like all of the houses on the intercoastal and ocean probably have a much better chance of standing than a lot of older homes/condo/apartment buildings just west of Federal highway near the railroad.

I think the most concerning is the bridges. And the boats/yachts.. most are being evacuated though.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The reason their is not a Category 6 is because the scale is tied to potential destruction of property and Category 5 is the limits of what can be built. South Florida around Miami is in what the Florida Building Code calls the High Velocity Hurricane Zone and special Miami-Dade testing is required of building products used in this area. Despite those extra requirements, this storm is exceeding those limits so no one can really know what will happen.

I was wondering why there hasn't been a Category 6 created, for hurricanes with winds above 180mph, but I guess that would explain why.

cmb5002

Those buildings are almost certainly on deep pile/drilled shafts. The bigger question is if they designed to resist uplift in addition to the traditional vertical load of the building. Obviously the lateral force of a 185MPH wind on a 20 story building is significant. That said, the requirement should be in the design standards with a significant factor of safety.

21stamps

I was wondering why there hasn't been a Category 6 created, for hurricanes with winds above 180mph, but I guess that would explain why.

I hope we don't have to see what happens to all of the "new "buildings with strict codes.. I just have to wonder though, if you're on the 40th floor or above, and something like a roof tile (Spanish tiles), or piece of metal hits your windows, in 180+ winds.. I just don't see how any strength of glass could stay together.

cosmicgirl

Are the highrises usually built with concrete or steel beams?

Cranes should be alright structurally speaking imo, because they're trusses. The air can still flow around the individual rods relatively easily, so there is less resistance for the wind and the resulting load to be carried by the truss itself should be bearable imo. The critical parts of cranes are the attachment points to the ground and the angle where the horizontal part meets the vertical part. The ground attachment point has to take the highest load (bending moment).
There's also a boundary layer effect close the ground so the wind velocity will be lower close to the ground than higher up, but that doesn't change the fact that the foundation has to bear the load of the high-velocity wind at the top. The higher the crane, the higher that load.
If a crane were to go down I would expect the horizontal part (the arm) to let go first, hopefully leaving the rest of it standing.

I suppose that this is what safety factors are for...

That said, I do remember that crane dangling from that skyscraper in Manhattan back in 2012.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Those buildings are almost certainly on deep pile/drilled shafts. The bigger question is if they designed to resist uplift in addition to the traditional vertical load of the building. Obviously the lateral force of a 185MPH wind on a 20 story building is significant. That said, the requirement should be in the design standards with a significant factor of safety.

Think we are about to find out...

Nickels5

Exactly. It's not like this is being done on a whim. There's a Cat5 hurricane heading for Florida. If an employer's stance is - "Nope, sorry, your vacation is locked in!", the response should be - "Ok, then I quit".
lol I love that comment when other people tell you to walk away from a well paying job with good benefits. This continues to go more and more east after Monday Orlando will be completely fine.

rocketraccoon

Eesh, the Turnpike is backed up hard this morning. I wonder if it's worth going on I-95 and cutting across the state via HWY 40 to get back on I-75, although it's backed up there too in a lot of places.

dRuwxMY.jpg

R9slb2G.jpg

Lots of people trying to get gas.
UIPSr8Y.jpg

Never seen black likes in Google Maps before. Heading out tomorrow afternoon since I live fairly north. Might have to go up to Jacksonville and cut across via I-10 to get back on 75.

Miceberg

HauntedPirate said:

Try being an 'essential' government employee as I have been in a past life where one is expected to be on duty no matter what and your leadership does not give a damn about the health and safety of your family.

At least at a private employee when a state of emergency is declared and roads are closed one is off the hook so to speak.

Not so for 'essential' government employees who are expected to show up no matter what.

I can't agree enough as a current 'essential' employee who has to schedule vacations a year in advance with no "backsies". A co-worker of mine is currently in WDW, hoping to leave tomorrow because her cruise was cancelled. Sure she can reschedule, but not for anytime soon because all vacation time is spoken for - for the entire year and beyond - we have to meet minimum staffing levels in order to keep the public safe. I doubt she's going to quit her job because she can't reschedule.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I hope we don't have to see what happens to all of the "new "buildings with strict codes.. I just have to wonder though, if you're on the 40th floor or above, and something like a roof tile (Spanish tiles), or piece of metal hits your windows, in 180+ winds.. I just don't see how any strength of glass could stay together.
Just glass won't. Laminated glass will take a hell of a lot of damage before it fails. Of course the odds of it being laminated glass above the 3rd floor is pretty slim.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Eesh, the Turnpike is backed up hard this morning. I wonder if it's worth going on I-95 and cutting across the state via HWY 40 to get back on I-75, although it's backed up there too in a lot of places.

dRuwxMY.jpg

R9slb2G.jpg

Lots of people trying to get gas.
UIPSr8Y.jpg

Never seen black likes in Google Maps before. Heading out tomorrow afternoon since I live fairly north. Might have to go up to Jacksonville and cut across via I-10 to get back on 75.

I-10 may be no better. My niece lives in Jax and she indicated people are starting to evacuate.

Okay guys... what is yall's best guess as to what day(s) the park(s) will close early/completely?

Given the latest runs, it seems like the MOST LIKELY impact will be similar to that of Hurricane Matthew. Obviously it could be better or worse than that depending on where Irma ultimately tracks, but I think that's the best guess.

In that situation, do we think the parks would probably close early Sunday and then the full day Monday and resume operations Tuesday?

rocketraccoon

I-10 may be no better. My niece lives in Jax and she indicated people are starting to evacuate.
Google Maps is recommending going up to Lake City and then getting on I-75 there apparently. We'll see tomorrow morning I suppose, but the fact it's going that far out from where I am shows how bad 75 must be near Gainesville. Under normal traffic that'd be 45 minutes to an hour extra.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom