Hurricane Irma

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Coming to you live from a Walmart in DeLand, about an hour north of the parks.

64V04ch.jpg

Lb29cls.jpg

Other than a single bottle of Life Water and whatever is by the registers, all the water is already gone. Most soup, canned vegetables/fruits/sauces, trash bags/paper plates/plastic utensils, and all of the bleach (for some reason?) is gone. A lot of this stuff will be empty in a day or two. Eesh.

Heading up to Georgia on Friday. Hope my dorm doesn't flood.

Bleach needed to sterilize containers, like bathtub, for water. And for cleanup after the storm.

LAKid53

Premium Member
With each new update Tallahassee and points west in the Florida Panhandle are looking better. Regarding this weekend, FSU has a home game against LA-Monroe. My guess is people found availability. The problem is going toward 9/16 where FSU is supposed to host a home against Miami. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those fans extended their stay to the weekend prior.

Game has been moved up to noon kick-off. Wonder how full Doak will be.

At least you've got Friday off.

JohnD

Original Poster
I am going to say this as directly as I can, to repeat what others have said. And my comments are based on living in Florida for 51 years and living through two hurricanes. Don't give a flip what @gsam4ever said, he doesn't live in Florida.

If you have plans to visit Florida after Friday, please reconsider. Monitor the storm's progress, we should know by Friday what path it will take - but know they can shift at the last moment. Think Kate in 1985 (I lived through that one) and Andrew in 1992. This is a huge storm. Hurricane force winds out 50 miles from the eye. Wind field over 300 miles. One of the projected paths have it coming straight up the center of Florida, hitting just south of Lake Okeechobee early Monday AM. Trust me, Disney will feel the impact of that one. Look at the pictures @BuddyThomas posted after Andrew.

If you are already at Disney World, but are leaving this weekend, you should be okay. But be prepared for flight delays on Sunday. Airlines will start to move equipment out of the path of the storm (don't argue with me on this one, my dad's an aeronautical engineer and spent nearly 40 years in the business). Expect bumpy takeoffs for flights departing later in the day on Sunday.

If you're here and vacation plans keep you at Disney through the first part of next week, stay where you are. Those buildings, especially the concrete block ones, can withstand some pretty strong winds. There will be staff on site to help. But plan. Get supplies now. Bleach to clean the bathtub and fill it up with water to flush the toilet. Baby wipes for that sponge bath. Water, manual can opener, bread, peanut butter, crackers, shelf milk, stuff like that. A portable radio would be nice. Keep all your electronics plugged in and charging. Keep your resort room drapes closed. Stay away from windows. And don't go cruising around your resort during the storm. Try to be as prepared as you can to be on your own for a few days.

Hermine, a weak Category 1 storm passed directly over Tallahassee September 1st last year. The eyewall stalled over town for about 2 hours. I NEVER, EVER AGAIN WANT, IN MY LIFETIME, TO HEAR THAT SCREAMING WIND, THE CRACK OF TREES SNAPING IN TWO AND THE POP OF POWER LINE TRANSFORMERS EXPLODING AND FEEL MY HOUSE SHAKING! I spent hours in my laundry "room" (really a hallway from the garage into my house) with my cat, wondering if I would live to see the sunrise on Friday. Over 1,000 trees fell. 90% of Tallahassee was without power...for days, some for over a week. I don't remember the amount of debris that ended up at city landfills, but it was in the thousands of tons. All from a weak Category 1 storm. That if she had shifted a little more eastward a hour or two sooner, we would have been spared. Quincy to the west of us (about 20 miles) got wind and minor damage.

How I remember.

cosmicgirl

Oh, wow. I guess this is what Key West is in for. The video of the destruction from the storm surge reminded me of the Christmas tsunami. Just so heartbreaking to see.

This was by the airport, where there are mountains not too far away. Imho a direct hit on the Keys would be worse than this because there's hardly any resistance, nothing in the distance to slow it down even a little bit.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yep. I was very busy at work this morning with COOP preparations. (Continuity of Operations Plan to the uninitiated.)

Leon schools are open tomorrow and Friday...usually it's the reverse. But I bet state employee parents will keep their kids home Friday, to help with prep, if it comes to that. Saw a lot of school aged kids at Costco yesterday morning.

JohnD

Original Poster
Leon schools are open tomorrow and Friday...usually it's the reverse. But I bet state employee parents will keep their kids home Friday, to help with prep, if it comes to that. Saw a lot of school she'd kids at Costco yesterday morning.

We're surmising the Gov called for the office closure this year after learning from what happened last year closing offices within hours of Hermine's arrival. Remember the logjam on Tallahassee roads?

Hobnail Boot

Well... I live in Savannah and the forecast is starting to look worse for us. We were brushed by Matthew last year and the area, especially the islands, looked like a bomb went off. I can't imagine what this will do if we take a direct hit. I went to the store yesterday and got dry goods and some water, but places are already starting to run out. Gas stations have lines, grocery stores are packed and traffic is insane. The weird thing is it feels like business as usual with exception of that.

Check this out..

Sadly, I visited St. Maarten for the the first time this past May. It was my first international trip and I enjoyed every minute of it. Seeing that truly breaks my heart.

I sincerely pray this thing keeps having it's track shifted further east and away from the coast. It's so hard to discern what's right and what's wrong right now (like The Weather Channel saying it's going to track this way but NOAA has it's track going this way). Fingers crossed for everyone and good luck to all.

LAKid53

Premium Member
We're surmising the Gov called for the office closure this year after learning from what happened last year closing offices within hours of Hermine's arrival. Remember the logjam on Tallahassee roads?

Um, not really. I prepared the day before. And I'm retired, so while all you were still toiling at the state salt mines, I was cleaning my house and packing for a trip to Uni that didn't happen.

JohnD

Original Poster
Um, not really. I prepared the day before. And I'm retired, so while all you were still toiling at the state salt mines, I was cleaning my house and packing for a trip to Uni that didn't happen.

Traffic at the official closure time was a nightmare. I believe that was a Thursday. Still went to WDW that Sat. after it blew threw.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Traffic at the official closure time was a nightmare. I believe that was a Thursday. Still went to WDW that Sat. after it blew threw.

Yes, it was. And Scott didn't announce Friday closure until late that night or early Friday, if I remember.

FigmentForver96

And of course, there's that one outlier making a beeline for Apalachicola Bay....
I know and it's been consistent. I live in PC with family right now so they're all freaking out. I personally am not going to pack up and bolt just because one model shows something. (Did fill the car and pull some cash though)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom