Hurricane Irma

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I just hope that it's all still there after this weekend!!!

Highly recommend the seaplane though, the ferry is fun, but you see so much more from the plane.. plus get there much faster.

Irma better not destroy the Dry Tortugas or anything else.

The island will still be there. The vegetation and buildings, probably not.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Flights will continue until wind speeds at the airport require the FAA to shut it down. The last thing any pilot wants is cross winds during take off or landing. Saturday at the latest, maybe? The governor said Miami will remain open as long as possible.

What I would have done, within FAA guidelines, is cut back on flights arriving and increased flights departing.

The problem with that solution is to get a plane OUT you need one coming IN so its deadhead a plane in with cargo or arrivals and departures need to match ultimately the last planes out will carry pax and high value airline equipment like spare aircraft parts

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The hunter plane is a prop ;).
For takeoff and landing in windy conditions the size and (mostly lateral) stability of the aircraft are more of an issue than prop vs. jet because the wings are so close to the ground. For EYW in particular, my guess is the runway length is be the reason they get props instead of regional jets. Props are a lot more fuel efficient than jet engines, so less fuel is required and there is more room for payload.

And to @21stamps I'm jealous of the Dry Tortugas seaplane! I wanted to do that but they went bankrupt a few months before we were there. Did they ever start back up?

Turboprops like the hurricane hunters also have the advantage of the prop breaks up water going into the engine in heavy precipitation minimizing chance of a flameout

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney guests - "Hurry! Let's get out of Florida before the storm hits."

Locals - "Flight of Passage has only a 30 min wait!!!" :D

That was basically what my wife said when I mentioned Disney is waiving cancellation fees for existing reservations this weekend - "I want to go to Disney World now, it'll be a ghost town!" (Mind you, she was just there last week :hilarious: ). We can still fly for yield fare for another 16 months, but it's stand-by. Definitely NOT how I want to list for a flight with a hurricane approaching!!

FEA had a two hour wait at the time when Matthew shut Disney down. And it was pouring rain.

Obviously I hope for everyone's personal safety first and foremost, but I am so afraid of what this storm could do to the reef, the islands, and the historical sites. I know that most people here would give the title of their "Happy Place" to Disney. I love Disney, but My happy place is Key West, and its surroundings.

To be honest, there is a really good chance Key West fares just fine in this storm. Obviously you have to evacuate it because it takes so long to get from there to safety, but it has trended away from Key West and towards the east coast of Florida. If it takes the NHC track, Key West will be just fine. If it moves a bit more to the west, Key West may be nothing more than a sandbar.

rocketraccoon

Coming to you live from a Walmart in DeLand, about an hour north of the parks.

64V04ch.jpg

Lb29cls.jpg

Other than a single bottle of Life Water and whatever is by the registers, all the water is already gone. Most soup, canned vegetables/fruits/sauces, trash bags/paper plates/plastic utensils, and all of the bleach (for some reason?) is gone. A lot of this stuff will be empty in a day or two. Eesh.

Heading up to Georgia on Friday. Hope my dorm doesn't flood.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Coming to you life from a Walmart in DeLand, about an hour north of the parks.

64V04ch.jpg

Lb29cls.jpg

Other than a single bottle of Life Water and whatever is by the registers, all the water is already gone. Most soup, canned vegetables/fruits/sauces, trash bags/paper plates/plastic utensils, and all of the bleach (for some reason?) is gone. A lot of this stuff will be empty in a day or two. Eesh.

Heading up to Georgia on Friday. Hope my dorm doesn't flood.
I don't see an issue. The beer isle appears to be well stocked.:confused:

JohnD

Original Poster
But it isn't that easy, sadly. Look at Florida.. where would you go? There is no where to go.

With each new update Tallahassee and points west in the Florida Panhandle are looking better. Regarding this weekend, FSU has a home game against LA-Monroe. My guess is people found availability. The problem is going toward 9/16 where FSU is supposed to host a home against Miami. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those fans extended their stay to the weekend prior.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom