Hurricane Irma

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yes, former DL employee. I wanted to get 10 years in so I could have retiree flight benefits for life, but alas, I only got 3 years (and 5 total with my time as a contractor) before I was downsized in late 2015 so they could save on labor costs.

I miss those days of $10 tickets anywhere in the continental US... Don't miss getting bumped in Daytona Beach, though....

21stamps

Not when you've hit that wall of thunderstorms you've watched starting to roll across the runway at West Palm Beach airport at about 1000 feet after takeoff. When the flight attendants look nervous, you need to be really, really worried....

Once I was the only person on a flight from FLL to KW. I sat near the pilot and he talked to me during the flight.. was so weird to be the only one.

I've done the Seaplanes to Dry Tortugas which are a lot more frightening than the prop planes that fly to KW.lol

LAKid53

Premium Member
Once I was the only person on a flight from FLL to KW. I sat near the pilot and he talked to me during the flight.. was so weird to be the only one.

I've done the Seaplanes to Dry Tortugas which are a lot more frightening than the prop planes that fly to KW.lol

I've sat on the jump seat behind the pilot on a DC-9....

cosmicgirl

So they fly turbo props into the Key West airport? Even worse equipment to fly during winds like this. My dad refused to fly on one. I took that as a warning to heed.
The hunter plane is a prop ;).
For takeoff and landing in windy conditions the size and (mostly lateral) stability of the aircraft are more of an issue than prop vs. jet because the wings are so close to the ground. For EYW in particular, my guess is the runway length is be the reason they get props instead of regional jets. Props are a lot more fuel efficient than jet engines, so less fuel is required and there is more room for payload.

And to @21stamps I'm jealous of the Dry Tortugas seaplane! I wanted to do that but they went bankrupt a few months before we were there. Did they ever start back up?

LAKid53

Premium Member
For takeoff and landing in windy conditions the size and (mostly lateral) stability of the aircraft are more of an issue than prop vs. jet because the wings are so close to the ground. For EYW in particular, my guess is the runway length is be the reason they get props instead of regional jets. Props are a lot more fuel efficient than jet engines, so less fuel is required and there is more room for payload.

And to @21stamps I'm jealous of the Dry Tortugas seaplane! I wanted to do that but they went bankrupt a few months before we were there. Did they ever start back up?

So it's a single engine prop, like a Cessna or Beachcraft, not a turbo prop like a Saab?

LAKid53

Premium Member
That would be cool!

I trust pilots, and I trust aircraft, I trust skydiving. I feel better with any of the above than I do while driving on the 18mile stretch sometimes.

The jump seat is a fold down seat behind the pilot. Not the most comfortable seat to sit in. But if it's that or getting stranded in Daytona Beach, I'll take that seat every time....

Back then, the airport was in the middle of nowhere and shut down at 11pm.

21stamps

Yes! Horrible story though- in 2015 was the first time my son had been since an infant. It rained/stormed our Entire trip!! Highlight of the trip was supposed to be our seaplane and Dry Tortugas day.. I was so excited that he was finally old enough to Snorkel!!! I wanted to share my beloved marine life with him.

Woke up extremely pumped super early in the morning.
Seaplane got cancelled due to weather :(
Tried to see if the Ferry was still running, no guarantee, pouring down rain, heavy winds.
We never made it there that trip.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Does anyone know if Disney World has ever experienced significant damage to the parks/resort as a result of a hurricane before? Pictures?
The closest thing to significant was the tile blew off the roof on ToT during Charley. Aside from that all there has been is pretty mundane damage that could have happened during your average thunderstorm.

cosmicgirl

Yes! Horrible story though- in 2015 was the first time my son had been since an infant. It rained/stormed our Entire trip!! Highlight of the trip was supposed to be our seaplane and Dry Tortugas day.. I was so excited that he was finally old enough to Snorkel!!! I wanted to share my beloved marine life with him.

Woke up extremely pumped super early in the morning.
Seaplane got cancelled due to weather :(
Tried to see if the Ferry was still running, no guarantee, pouring down rain, heavy winds.
We never made it there that trip.

That's a shame about your trip! But I'm glad they managed to start back up again. It's something that I can hopefully still add to my bucket list after the weekend.

21stamps

That's a shame about your trip! But I'm glad they managed to start back up again. It's something that I can hopefully still add to my bucket list after the weekend.

I just hope that it's all still there after this weekend!!!

Highly recommend the seaplane though, the ferry is fun, but you see so much more from the plane.. plus get there much faster.

Irma better not destroy the Dry Tortugas or anything else.

21stamps

Yes, I hope I can still add it after the weekend... I don't want to jinx anything by adding it now.

Obviously I hope for everyone's personal safety first and foremost, but I am so afraid of what this storm could do to the reef, the islands, and the historical sites. I know that most people here would give the title of their "Happy Place" to Disney. I love Disney, but My happy place is Key West, and its surroundings.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Obviously I hope for everyone's personal safety first and foremost, but I am so afraid of what this storm could do to the reef, the islands, and the historical sites. I know that most people here would give the title of their "Happy Place" to Disney. I love Disney, but My happy place is Key West, and its surroundings.
I fear the worse for Key West unfortunately. Luckily my friend evacuated (from Sutherland Island) but he is still in South Florida.

Sans Souci

Just an FYI for people who have tickets on Southwest. They have changed their dates of potentially disrupted travel. It was from yesterday until the 11. Now they have extended it to the 13th.
https://www.southwest.com/html/advisories/swa_travel_advisory_2017841504542489393.html

Hurricane Irma

Southwest Airlines is closely monitoring the projected track of Hurricane Irma and possible Stations that may experience operational disruptions in the coming days. Before you head to the airport, please check the status of your flight for the most up-to-date information regarding your flight.

Our scheduled service on Tuesday, September 5, thru Wednesday, September 13, may be disrupted (flights may be delayed, diverted, and/or cancelled) at the following cities:

• Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
  • Fort Myers (RSW)
  • Havana (HAV)
  • Jacksonville (JAX)
  • Nassau (NAS)
  • Orlando (MCO)
  • Punta Cana (PUJ)
  • San Juan (SJU)
  • Tampa (TPA)
  • West Palm Beach (PBI)
Customers who are holding reservations on Tuesday, September 5, thru Wednesday, September 13, and want to alter their travel plans may rebook in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city-pairs and in accordance with our accommodation procedures) without paying any additional charge.

Customers who purchased their itinerary via Southwest.com or our mobile app are eligible to reschedule their travel plans online or from their mobile device.

Customers who did not purchase a ticket via Southwest.com can call 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a Customer Representative.

Customers in the U.S. scheduled to travel internationally must call 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a Customer Representative for assistance with rebooking.

If you are calling Southwest Airlines from one of our international cities, please reach us at:

Aruba: 011-297-588-2900

Bahamas: 1-855-202-3403 (English)

Bahamas: 1-855-202-3402 (Spanish)

Belize: 0-800-007-8684

Costa Rica: 0800-012-1916

Dominican Republic: 1-800-751-9039 (English)

Dominican Republic: 1-800-751-9038 (Spanish)

Grand Cayman: 1-844-670-7914 (English)

Grand Cayman: 1-844-670-7990 (Spanish)

Jamaica: 1-800-425-8130 (English)

Jamaica: 1-800-425-8089 (Spanish)

Mexico: 01-800-083-1179 (English)

Mexico: 01-800-083-1178 (Spanish)

Additionally, Customers holding reservations for a flight that is cancelled may request a refund for an unused ticket/travel itinerary.

For specific flight information, please check flight status information.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom