Hurricane Irma

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
We can still fly for yield fare for another 16 months, but it's stand-by. Definitely NOT how I want to list for a flight with a hurricane approaching!!
Bingo. DD and I had a trip planned for last Sept when Matthew approached. We would have been OK (Tue - Wed), parks shut down Thursday afternoon, but our flight out on Friday wouldn't have happened (MCO closed Thu-Fri) and since we were non-rev pax we cancelled - I didn't feel like spending four or five days at MCO waiting to get out.

21stamps

I fear the worse for Key West unfortunately. Luckily my friend evacuated (from Sutherland Island) but he is still in South Florida.

Glad he's out already! Did he say how long it took to reach his destination?

One family I know in PBC has evacuated to Tampa.
Another family in Broward is staying.
Miami people- most are staying, not at home but somewhere in SoFla, a couple were lucky enough to book flights out yesterday.
A few people from Key West went to Hard Rock Hollywood.
Everyone else that I know in KW still does not have a solid plan. Most are planning on leaving sometime late tonight in hopes that the traffic has calmed down a bit.

The island will still be there. The vegetation and buildings, probably not.

I hope that doesn't happen.

To be honest, there is a really good chance Key West fares just fine in this storm. Obviously you have to evacuate it because it takes so long to get from there to safety, but it has trended away from Key West and towards the east coast of Florida. If it takes the NHC track, Key West will be just fine. If it moves a bit more to the west, Key West may be nothing more than a sandbar.

Hoping for the former.

ToTBellHop

Bingo. DD and I had a trip planned for last Sept when Matthew approached. We would have been OK (Tue - Wed), parks shut down Thursday afternoon, but our flight out on Friday wouldn't have happened (MCO closed Thu-Fri) and since we were non-rev pax we cancelled - I didn't feel like spending four or five days at MCO waiting to get out.
But didn't you know MCO has been recognized for its outstanding aesthetic, art fixtures, and enormous fish tank?! You missed out on Disney's EARport, too. Get it? Ears? HAHAHAHAHA.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
But didn't you know MCO has been recognized for its outstanding aesthetic, art fixtures, and enormous fish tank?! You missed out on Disney's EARport, too. Get it? Ears? HAHAHAHAHA.
If they wouldn't have minded me dipping a line and hook into the tank, it might have been tolerable... but I generally don't have the patience to hang around airports any more.

Governor Deal declares state of emergency for 6 counties in Georgia along the coast. My brother in law lives in St. Marys but is currently out to sea with the Navy. Better call my sister in law and check up on her.

IanDLBZF

UPDATES FROM AROUND THE AREA, NOT JUST FOR WDW:
  • Blizzard Beach will be closed Friday & Saturday due to weather.
  • OCPS cancels after school activities and extended day for Friday, Marion, Volusia & Osceola County Schools closed Friday through Monday.
  • Beacon College (which is where I am attending college) will be closed tomorrow from noon, all day Friday, Monday and Tuesday.
  • Lake County will release students early, following a Wednesday dismissal schedule. They will be closed Monday.
  • Polk County Schools will be closed Monday.

UPDATES FROM AROUND THE AREA, NOT JUST FOR WDW:
  • Blizzard Beach will be closed Friday & Saturday due to weather.
  • OCPS cancels after school activities and extended day for Friday, Marion, Volusia & Osceola County Schools closed Friday through Monday.
  • Beacon College (which is where I am attending college) will be closed tomorrow from noon, all day Friday, Monday and Tuesday.
  • Lake County will release students early, following a Wednesday dismissal schedule. They will be closed Monday.
  • Polk County Schools will be closed Monday.

Blizzard Beach is closing on Friday and Saturday? The weather Friday will be gorgeous in Orlando. Any idea why they'd close BB but not TL ?

Truly makes no sense to me. This seems like a Sunday/Monday event... and they are closing on Friday. Meh.

21stamps

It's about time that someone wrote a story on it. Disgusting
Remember what happened in 2004 to the I-10 bridge at Pensacola...

Yes, horrible. Bridges have had damage before, I do realize that. I just have no idea how long it would take to rebuild the Overseas Highway if it was demolished in several places.. as well as all of the power lines. It could be several months or longer before people could ever return.

That's what I picture in my "worst case" dark thoughts.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
. What's ucf
University of Central Florida, in the Orlando area. It's a trade school for kids who couldn't get into a real college, like USF. ;)
lzjax1nyref2p66of6j0.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom