Hurricane Irma

Zipadeelady

Actually... The Detroit airport is out by Dearborn, and Dearborn is home to the Henry ford museum and Greenfield Village. Basically, Henry ford's Disneyland which is a must see. Lots and lots of similarities with Early disney designs (Walt and Ward Kimball visited Greenfield Village prior to 55) including an operating steam train, model t cars you can ride in, horse drawn omnibus, "Main Street" working farms, and the Thomas Edison Menlo Park. The indoor museum is also a must see with the Rosa Parks bus, presidential Limos, etc.

Dearborn is one of my favorite places to visit right up by Disneyworld and Land.
Love the Henry Ford Museum. Actually planning a day to head there with the in-laws.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Definitely did miss that. Must've been a cool job for your dad.

Welk, we did get to travel everywhere for the cost of the gate tax.

But I could have gone without 2 days of analyzing the Concorde crash just before we were scheduled to fly back to Florida....

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'm hoping we stay calm and even if it takes a little longer, we arrive safely. I don't mind "reporting" from the scene as long as we have power and I'm not too rattled :jawdrop:

Did you miss the "booze for adults" on my list? It's for nerves, you know.... ;)

21stamps

Airport needs to operate within FAA safety guidelines. Can't just send more aircraft to an airport that size.

Yes but one more day.. add 1-2 flights per day at least. These are TINY planes. Not many people can fit on them.

With the east of Federal Broward evac travel just got a hell of a lot worse for Keys people.

Holy carp. I can't even imagine the backups right now.

LAKid53

Premium Member
What do you think about FLL, will flights tomorrow be good?

Flights will continue until wind speeds at the airport require the FAA to shut it down. The last thing any pilot wants is cross winds during take off or landing. Saturday at the latest, maybe? The governor said Miami will remain open as long as possible.

What I would have done, within FAA guidelines, is cut back on flights arriving and increased flights departing.

cosmicgirl

What do you think about FLL, will flights tomorrow be good?
There is no way to be sure. Even if the wind velocity is not too high, the crosswind might be, or the airlines could simply decide not to fly in to keep the aircraft from getting stuck there.

ETA: the good news is that both MIA and FLL have an intersecting runway, so they have more to work with than MCO.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yes but one more day.. add 1-2 flights per day at least. These are TINY planes. Not many people can fit on them.

With the east of Federal Broward evac travel just got a hell of a lot worse for Keys people.

Holy carp. I can't even imagine the backups right now.

So they fly turbo props into the Key West airport? Even worse equipment to fly during winds like this. My dad refused to fly on one. I took that as a warning to heed.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disney guests - "Hurry! Let's get out of Florida before the storm hits."

Locals - "Flight of Passage has only a 30 min wait!!!" :D

That was basically what my wife said when I mentioned Disney is waiving cancellation fees for existing reservations this weekend - "I want to go to Disney World now, it'll be a ghost town!" (Mind you, she was just there last week :hilarious: ). We can still fly for yield fare for another 16 months, but it's stand-by. Definitely NOT how I want to list for a flight with a hurricane approaching!!

21stamps

So they fly turbo props into the Kwy West airport? Even worse equipment to fly during winds like this. My dad refused to fly on one. I took that as a warning to heed.

Yes, those are the only planes that fly in/out of Key West. They do get a little scary at times, but they're an adventure. ;)

LAKid53

Premium Member
That was basically what my wife said when I mentioned Disney is waiving cancellation fees for existing reservations this weekend - "I want to go to Disney World now, it'll be a ghost town!" (Mind you, she was just there last week :hilarious: ). We can still fly for yield fare for another 16 months, but it's stand-by. Definitely NOT how I want to list for a flight with a hurricane approaching!!

So I'm assuming employee pass? The first to get bumped...and the last to re-board. Not the way I'd want to fly right now.

cosmicgirl

Well... you'd be incoming... something tells me you'd get a seat.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So I'm assuming employee pass? The first to get bumped...and the last to re-board. Not the way I'd want to fly right now.

Yes, former DL employee. I wanted to get 10 years in so I could have retiree flight benefits for life, but alas, I only got 3 years (and 5 total with my time as a contractor) before I was downsized in late 2015 so they could save on labor costs.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yes, those are the only planes that fly in/out of Key West. They do get a little scary at times, but they're an adventure. ;)

Not when you've hit that wall of thunderstorms you've watched starting to roll across the runway at West Palm Beach airport at about 1000 feet after takeoff. When the flight attendants look nervous, you need to be really, really worried....

21stamps

To any who haven't been- this is the size of the KW airport.. but you are greeted by a great bar :)

IMG_3910.JPG

IMG_3909.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom