Hurricane Irma

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
For those of you commenting that Irma's impact on WDW will be similar to Matthew last year, you need to stop and remember that Matthew never made landfall in Florida. The eyewall stayed just offshore as the storm traveled northward. None of the models for Irma reflect this. They indicated either Florida West Coast, East Coast or up the middle. Charlie's winds at Orlando were 90 mph. That's more than a little wind and rain. Think more Charlie, less Matthew.

Zipadeelady

These airline prices are ridiculous.

I've been searching since yesterday helping out my friends, and the few that are available are all over $1000. Domestic!

Not to mention the airports are about 200 -400 miles away from where the people who are told to evacuate actually live.
Way to take advantage of a horrible situation, airlines.
Just out of curiosity I checked Spirit and you can visit Detroit for only a little over $200. I was just looking to see if all airlines were raising their prices.

KBLovedDisney

Not that Florida shouldn't be preparing for a landfall, but with the latest models I'm more worried about the Carolinas getting hit directly at this point. This looks a lot like Hugo's path, which was devastating to interior sections of the country prone to flash flooding.
My thoughts exactly! We were in a double-wide when Hugo came over us. Luckily, my grandmother lived across the field from us in a brick home. I remember running across that field (with my stuffed animal kitty cat) as Hugo approached us...not a great memory.

Getting scared.

cosmicgirl

I've been searching since yesterday helping out my friends, and the few that are available are all over $1000. Domestic!

Not to mention the airports are about 200 -400 miles away from where the people who are told to evacuate actually live.
My educated guess is that the flights with the insane prices are actually already overbooked. The revenue management algorithms kick in and every additional ticket that is sold must more than compensate for the cost and trouble of having to bump people.

LukeS7

https://www.google.com/flights/#sea...-09-08;r=2017-09-26;tt=o;q=flights+out+of+MCO Looks like there are several flights with non-ridiculous prices here

EDIT: Most have a layover, but if you need to get out, it's better than nothing

John park hopper

Just out of curiosity checked Amtrack out of Miami for tomorrow and all sold out on 3 train. As the train goes through Orlando I would guess there is nothing available there as well.

21stamps

Just out of curiosity I checked Spirit and you can visit Detroit for only a little over $200. I was just looking to see if all airlines were raising their prices.

I don't think any of us thought of Detroit.lol

I just checked and didn't see any.. what dates are you looking at? I searched One Way out of FLL and MCO on the 7th

spacemt354

Chili's
https://www.google.com/flights/#sea...-09-08;r=2017-09-26;tt=o;q=flights+out+of+MCO Looks like there are several flights with non-ridiculous prices here

EDIT: Most have a layover, but if you need to get out, it's better than nothing
From experience working with someone to get a flight last night - the google results are mostly misleading. When you click on most - either the airline sites have too much traffic and cannot book it, the flight is sold out, or the only seats left are upwards of $700 or more one way. Thankfully we were able to luck out with something, but after hours of searching.

LukeS7

Those are for Friday.
Ah, my mistake.
From experience working with someone to get a flight last night - the google results are mostly misleading. When you click on most - either the airline sites have too much traffic and cannot book it, the flight is sold out, or the only seats left are upwards of $700 or more one way. Thankfully we were able to luck out with something, but after hours of searching.
Realized that after clicking on some, my mistake

Ziggie

Maybe. I think back to Charlie. What was the wind speed when it reached the Orlando area?

I think you'll be ok at Disney. Try, though, not to get (1) a bottom floor (flooding) or (2) top floor (roof damage). Will be much more pleasant than a shelter.

Not good for them. Hope they are filling up sand bags.

You should be fine at Disney. The problem is being locked down come Sunday... and then having troubles trying to leave. Orlando will get wind and rain... but not life dangering stuff (minus falling trees or power lines). The issue is largely being stuck there in any aftermath.
I've been reading the posts.. thank you to everyone who is offering sound advice and support. I've been busy packing while hubby is out trying to get some last minute supplies.

21stamps

Flying out on the 7th

This is out of FLL and MCO. Do you know what airport you checked?
IMG_3906.jpg
IMG_3906.jpg

Detroit is somewhat within driving distance of me... that would actually work.

Attachments

• IMG_3905.jpg
    IMG_3905.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 46

Grimley1968

Check out Allegiant. In a Cincy example, they have a flight from Punta Gorda to CVG for about $110 today, and one from FLL to CVG for around $150 tomorrow.

ETA: sorry, had the prices for each flight reversed. FLL-CVG was $110, and PGD-CVG was $144

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom