Hurricane Irma

Prince-1

@Ziggie lives 9 miles from the ocean. In South Florida.

Even if the eye stays East and out to sea.. the coast will still be impacted. Orlando is much less risk from Storm Surges and High Winds if that were to happen.

If it's between South Florida (which is where I lived for over 35 years) and Orlando then I would choose Orlando...no question. I just find it pretty irresponsible that people are giving advice to others about this storm. If this was a Cat 1-4 following the same trajectory then there would be less guessing of what to expect but as Irma is literally the Storm of the Century, in regards to hurricanes, then all bets are off and anything anyone says is pure speculation.

Ziggie

As Irma is not supposed to hit for another few days you have time to decide what is best for you. If I was going to give any advice to someone who wanted to completely avoid it I would head north out of the state. Again, Central Florida is probably going to be relatively safe but this is a beast of a storm.
The roads heading up north here are already congested. There's no where to go (for us) out of state. No hotel availability and no where to really drive to. You have to have a return plan in place and the farther you go the more difficult it is to get back.

Prince-1

The roads heading up north here are already congested. There's no where to go (for us) out of state. No hotel availability and no where to really drive to. You have to have a return plan in place and the farther you go the more difficult it is to get back.

Then if it's between staying in South Florida and going to Orlando I'd say head to Disney. The further you can go North of the main landfall the better. Just make the best decision for you and your family and good luck no matter what you choose to do.

Minnie1986

I'd wait until the last moment you can cancel without penalty to make that decision.
I second this. My trip is scheduled to start, leaving from the NE in exactly two weeks. I have until 3 days out to notify my travel agency, and I will waiting until that 72 hour mark.

21stamps

If it's between South Florida (which is where I lived for over 35 years) and Orlando then I would choose Orlando...no question. I just find it pretty irresponsible that people are giving advice to others about this storm. If this was a Cat 1-4 following the same trajectory then there would be less guessing of what to expect but as Irma is literally the Storm of the Century, in regards to hurricanes, then all bets are off and anything anyone says is pure speculation.

I've lived they several hurricanes in South Florida. I gave advice specifically saying "what I would do".

I would choose Disney World every time given the option. I would not stay on the coast if I already had reservations elsewhere.

Here's just 1 of the many hurricanes, none of which were as strong as Irma when they hit-

Wilma-
IMG_3884.JPG

IMG_3895.JPG
IMG_3894.JPG
IMG_3893.JPG
IMG_3892.JPG
IMG_3891.JPG
IMG_3889.JPG

Jeanne-

IMG_3886.JPG
IMG_3885.JPG

I second this. My trip is scheduled to start, leaving from the NE in exactly two weeks. I have until 3 days out to notify my travel agency, and I will waiting until that 72 hour mark.

I would be shocked if you needed to cancel. This is likely going to be a 2 or 3 day event in Orlando. Wherever it makes a direct hit will be problematic for months to come. My trip is September 9-16 and I have no plans to cancel at the present time.

peter11435

You can't promise anyone that.
You're never 100% safe anywhere in any situation, hurricane or not. So no I can't promise they will be safe at WDW. But you are certainly safer than anywhere along the coast as PBC is during a hurricane. I would trust the structural integrity of WDW resort buildings far more than any modern built home or apartment. I think we all watched the AoA guest buildings constructed entirely of cast in place concrete. I'd take that over 2x4 and plywood roofs and walls any day.

disneygeek90

We got a letter from our apartment complex (in Orlando near Disney) telling us that we should close our blinds to avoid shattered glass and that they won't be boarding up any windows..this has me even more worried since there's a tree right outside my bedroom window. Really hoping this thing dodges Florida.
My apt complex said the same thing (maybe we're in the same complex... lol)

Minnie1986

I would be shocked if you needed to cancel. This is likely going to be a 2 or 3 day event in Orlando. Wherever it makes a direct hit will be problematic for months to come. My trip is September 9-16 and I have no plans to cancel at the present time.
My travel agent said the same thing. I'm not anticipating having to cancel; I think my biggest concern is that if it does hit the WDW area, that it may cause damage to WDW specifically, and we have to cancel because of that.

KBLovedDisney

I'd say if you are now or are going to be at Disney during the hurricane (that is if FL gets impacted by it), go ahead and get supplies you would if you were hunkered down at your home (except the generator). And Stay in your hotel room, indoors and off roads. Get food and water and something (possibly a few books and a booklight) to keep you occupied and also a portable battery-powered travel fan. Also, consider portable battery chargers for phones and other electronics.

Better to over prepare than not at all.

I will probably be headed to the grocery store after work myself to get supplies too.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I am going to say this as directly as I can, to repeat what others have said. And my comments are based on living in Florida for 51 years and living through two hurricanes. Don't give a flip what @gsam4ever said, he doesn't live in Florida.

If you have plans to visit Florida after Friday, please reconsider. Monitor the storm's progress, we should know by Friday what path it will take - but know they can shift at the last moment. Think Kate in 1985 (I lived through that one) and Andrew in 1992. This is a huge storm. Hurricane force winds out 50 miles from the eye. Wind field over 300 miles. One of the projected paths have it coming straight up the center of Florida, hitting just south of Lake Okeechobee early Monday AM. Trust me, Disney will feel the impact of that one. Look at the pictures @BuddyThomas posted after Andrew.

If you are already at Disney World, but are leaving this weekend, you should be okay. But be prepared for flight delays on Sunday. Airlines will start to move equipment out of the path of the storm (don't argue with me on this one, my dad's an aeronautical engineer and spent nearly 40 years in the business). Expect bumpy takeoffs for flights departing later in the day on Sunday.

If you're here and vacation plans keep you at Disney through the first part of next week, stay where you are. Those buildings, especially the concrete block ones, can withstand some pretty strong winds. There will be staff on site to help. But plan. Get supplies now. Bleach to clean the bathtub and fill it up with water to flush the toilet. Baby wipes for that sponge bath. Water, manual can opener, bread, peanut butter, crackers, shelf milk, stuff like that. A portable radio would be nice. Keep all your electronics plugged in and charging. Keep your resort room drapes closed. Stay away from windows. And don't go cruising around your resort during the storm. Try to be as prepared as you can to be on your own for a few days.

Hermine, a weak Category 1 storm passed directly over Tallahassee September 1st last year. The eyewall stalled over town for about 2 hours. I NEVER, EVER AGAIN WANT, IN MY LIFETIME, TO HEAR THAT SCREAMING WIND, THE CRACK OF TREES SNAPING IN TWO AND THE POP OF POWER LINE TRANSFORMERS EXPLODING AND FEEL MY HOUSE SHAKING! I spent hours in my laundry "room" (really a hallway from the garage into my house) with my cat, wondering if I would live to see the sunrise on Friday. Over 1,000 trees fell. 90% of Tallahassee was without power...for days, some for over a week. I don't remember the amount of debris that ended up at city landfills, but it was in the thousands of tons. All from a weak Category 1 storm. That if she had shifted a little more eastward a hour or two sooner, we would have been spared. Quincy to the west of us (about 20 miles) got wind and minor damage.

Ziggie

Then if it's between staying in South Florida and going to Orlando I'd say head to Disney. The further you can go North of the main landfall the better. Just make the best decision for you and your family and good luck no matter what you choose to do.
My gut is saying go to Disney.. my daughter and her family want to ride it out. I wish they would reconsider :(

We have no window. Cancellation is 5 days out according to what we were told. We will forfeit our deposit if we choose to stay home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom