Hurricane Irma

21stamps

You're never 100% safe anywhere in any situation, hurricane or not. So no I can't promise they will be safe at WDW. But you are certainly safer than anywhere along the coast as PBC is during a hurricane. I would trust the structural integrity of WDW resort buildings far more than any modern built home or apartment. I think we all watched the AoA guest buildings constructed entirely of cast in place concrete. I'd take that over 2x4 and plywood roofs and walls any day.

Just as a comparion, Charlie hit Orlando when it crossed Central Florida.
Charlie had 90mph wind in Orlando.

Wilma crossed the state from the West Coast in SoFla (very narrow) and Ft Laud/PBC (East Coast) saw winds of 120-150 mph.

No one can guarantee safety.. but the more land around you the better. Orlando is surrounded by more land.

DisneyCane

You're never 100% safe anywhere in any situation, hurricane or not. So no I can't promise they will be safe at WDW. But you are certainly safer than anywhere along the coast as PBC is during a hurricane. I would trust the structural integrity of WDW resort buildings far more than any modern built home or apartment. I think we all watched the AoA guest buildings constructed entirely of cast in place concrete. I'd take that over 2x4 and plywood roofs and walls any day.

South Florida homes (at least those built since the 90's) are concrete block walls and the roofs are designed to withstand hurricanes. In central Florida, I've seen a lot of wood frame/plywood construction even in recent years. I don't know the specifics of every WDW hotel, but I've seen off property hotels that are wood or aluminum frame and plywood being built in the last few years off I-4.

Prince-1

I am going to say this as directly as I can, to repeat what others have said. And my comments are based on living in Florida for 51 years and living through two hurricanes. Don't give a flip what @gsam4ever said, he doesn't live in Florida.

If you have plans to visit Florida after Friday, please reconsider. Monitor the storm's progress, we should know by Friday what path it will take - but know they can shift at the last moment. Think Kate in 1985 (I lived through that one) and Andrew in 1992. This is a huge storm. Hurricane force winds out 50 miles from the eye. Wind field over 300 miles. One of the projected paths have it coming straight up the center of Florida, hitting just south of Lake Okeechobee early Monday AM. Trust me, Disney will feel the impact of that one. Look at the pictures @BuddyThomas posted after Andrew.

If you are already at Disney World, but are leaving this weekend, you should be okay. But be prepared for flight delays on Sunday. Airlines will start to move equipment out of the path of the storm (don't argue with me on this one, my dad's an aeronautical engineer and spent nearly 40 years in the business). Expect bumpy takeoffs for flights departing later in the day on Sunday.

If you're here and vacation plans keep you at Disney through the first part of next week, stay where you are. Those buildings, especially the concrete block ones, can withstand some pretty strong winds. There will be staff on site to help. But plan. Get supplies now. Bleach to clean the bathtub and fill it up with water to flush the toilet. Baby wipes for that sponge bath. Water, manual can opener, bread, peanut butter, crackers, shelf milk, stuff like that. A portable radio would be nice. Keep all your electronics plugged in and charging. Keep your resort room drapes closed. Stay away from windows. And don't go cruising around your resort during the storm. Try to be as prepared as you can to be on your own for a few days.

Hermine, a weak Category 1 storm passed directly over Tallahassee September 1st last year. The eyewall stalled over town for about 2 hours. I NEVER, EVER AGAIN WANT, IN MY LIFETIME, TO HEAR THAT SCREAMING WIND, THE CRACK OF TREES SNAPING IN TWO AND THE POP OF POWER LINE TRANSFORMERS EXPLODING AND FEEL MY HOUSE SHAKING! I spent hours in my laundry "room" (really a hallway from the garage into my house) with my cat, wondering if I would live to see the sunrise on Friday. Over 1,000 trees fell. 90% of Tallahassee was without power...for days, some for over a week. I don't remember the amount of debris that ended up at city landfills, but it was in the thousands of tons. All from a weak Category 1 storm. That if she had shifted a little more eastward a hour or two sooner, we would have been spared. Quincy to the west of us (about 20 miles) got wind and minor damage.

No flip for me??? I think the 90's is looking for it's phrase back. I'm also pretty sure living in Florida for 39 years and living through every major hurricane including Andrew allows me to have an opinion. Otherwise great post.

Prince-1

My gut is saying go to Disney.. my daughter and her family want to ride it out. I wish they would reconsider :(

We have no window. Cancellation is 5 days out according to what we were told. We will forfeit our deposit if we choose to stay home.

Then follow your gut and go to Disney.

21stamps

My gut is saying go to Disney.. my daughter and her family want to ride it out. I wish they would reconsider :(

We have no window. Cancellation is 5 days out according to what we were told. We will forfeit our deposit if we choose to stay home.

Did you guys live there in 04-05? Does she remember it?

If you're unsure, just keep the reservation until the storm projections are closer, which still aren't a guarantee where it will hit.
Imo it's worth a forfeited deposit to know that you can evacuate if you want.

21stamps

South Florida homes (at least those built since the 90's) are concrete block walls and the roofs are designed to withstand hurricanes. In central Florida, I've seen a lot of wood frame/plywood construction even in recent years. I don't know the specifics of every WDW hotel, but I've seen off property hotels that are wood or aluminum frame and plywood being built in the last few years off I-4.

See my photos on how well those homes, and even gas stations, actually withstand the wind.

21stamps

No flip for me??? I think the 90's is looking for it's phrase back. I'm also pretty sure living in Florida for 39 years and living through every major hurricane including Andrew allows me to have an opinion. Otherwise great post.

Then how could you advise anyone to stay in SoFla vs the Middle of the state?

Aren't the images of the aftermath still in your brain? I chose to stay when I should have left. I remember sitting in a stairwell crying my eyes out wishing I would have made a different decision. That was Five Days AFTER Wilma.

At that point I couldn't even leave even when I wanted to.

peter11435

Even in south Florida there are still homes built with wood frames for the second floors. Regulations (in some areas) only require concrete block for the bottom floor.

I'm not recommending anyone stay in an off property hotel in the orlando area. The discussion was specifically referring to WDW. The EPCOT building codes that govern the RCID are the strictest in the state.

John park hopper

I am going to say this as directly as I can, to repeat what others have said. And my comments are based on living in Florida for 51 years and living through two hurricanes. Don't give a flip what @gsam4ever said, he doesn't live in Florida.

If you have plans to visit Florida after Friday, please reconsider. Monitor the storm's progress, we should know by Friday what path it will take - but know they can shift at the last moment. Think Kate in 1985 (I lived through that one) and Andrew in 1992. This is a huge storm. Hurricane force winds out 50 miles from the eye. Wind field over 300 miles. One of the projected paths have it coming straight up the center of Florida, hitting just south of Lake Okeechobee early Monday AM. Trust me, Disney will feel the impact of that one. Look at the pictures @BuddyThomas posted after Andrew.

If you are already at Disney World, but are leaving this weekend, you should be okay. But be prepared for flight delays on Sunday. Airlines will start to move equipment out of the path of the storm (don't argue with me on this one, my dad's an aeronautical engineer and spent nearly 40 years in the business). Expect bumpy takeoffs for flights departing later in the day on Sunday.

If you're here and vacation plans keep you at Disney through the first part of next week, stay where you are. Those buildings, especially the concrete block ones, can withstand some pretty strong winds. There will be staff on site to help. But plan. Get supplies now. Bleach to clean the bathtub and fill it up with water to flush the toilet. Baby wipes for that sponge bath. Water, manual can opener, bread, peanut butter, crackers, shelf milk, stuff like that. A portable radio would be nice. Keep all your electronics plugged in and charging. Keep your resort room drapes closed. Stay away from windows. And don't go cruising around your resort during the storm. Try to be as prepared as you can to be on your own for a few days.

Hermine, a weak Category 1 storm passed directly over Tallahassee September 1st last year. The eyewall stalled over town for about 2 hours. I NEVER, EVER AGAIN WANT, IN MY LIFETIME, TO HEAR THAT SCREAMING WIND, THE CRACK OF TREES SNAPING IN TWO AND THE POP OF POWER LINE TRANSFORMERS EXPLODING AND FEEL MY HOUSE SHAKING! I spent hours in my laundry "room" (really a hallway from the garage into my house) with my cat, wondering if I would live to see the sunrise on Friday. Over 1,000 trees fell. 90% of Tallahassee was without power...for days, some for over a week. I don't remember the amount of debris that ended up at city landfills, but it was in the thousands of tons. All from a weak Category 1 storm. That if she had shifted a little more eastward a hour or two sooner, we would have been spared. Quincy to the west of us (about 20 miles) got wind and minor damage.

As I have posted here went through Hugo. When Andrew hit south Florida I worked for the National Marine Fisheries service NOAA in Charleston, NOAA has a lab in Miami and went down to help out employees. I have never seen such distruction. Cinder block houses with the walls blown in, roofs peeled back like an onion one after another, trees down, no power no water. Take this one seriously

The Mom

Premium Member
I would really like some honest opinions please. We are booked at AofA beginning this Friday and are wondering if it will be safe in the path of the storm? We are driving up from Palm Beach County, so we are hoping Disney is a better alternative to where we actually live.

Is anyone else concerned about staying at Disney during the storm? Please... I really need reassurance and honest opinions.

Thanks so much.

In your case, I would say yes. You live in what could very well be an evacuation zone, headed for someplace "safer" rather than someone who lives in area that is safe heading into the storm.

Ziggie

I am going to say this as directly as I can, to repeat what others have said. And my comments are based on living in Florida for 51 years and living through two hurricanes.
Living through hurricanes sharpens your senses, to be sure.

Yes, except the Little Mermaid buildings
Thanks so much! :)

Yes! I do remember how AofA was built!

yes, they are.
Thanks Andrew :)

I'd say if you are now or are going to be at Disney during the hurricane (that is if FL gets impacted by it), go ahead and get supplies you would if you were hunkered down at your home (except the generator). And Stay in your hotel room, indoors and off roads. Get food and water and something (possibly a few books and a booklight) to keep you occupied and also a portable battery-powered travel fan. Also, consider portable battery chargers for phones and other electronics.

Better to over prepare than not at all.

I will probably be headed to the grocery store after work myself to get supplies too.
I wonder how the hotel doors will work if there's a loss of power?

Prince-1

Then how could you advise anyone to stay in SoFla vs the Middle of the state?

Aren't the images of the aftermath still in your brain? I chose to stay when I should have left. I remember sitting in a stairwell crying my eyes out wishing I would have made a different decision. That was Five Days AFTER Wilma.

At that point I couldn't even leave even when I wanted to.

Where did I ever advise anyone to stay in South Florida? Here is a quote from what I posted earlier:

"As Irma is not supposed to hit for another few days you have time to decide what is best for you. If I was going to give any advice to someone who wanted to completely avoid it I would head north out of the state. Again, Central Florida is probably going to be relatively safe but this is a beast of a storm."

Otherwise you nailed the facts as always.

KBLovedDisney

In your case, I would say yes. You live in what could very well be an evacuation zone, headed for someplace "safer" rather than someone who lives in area that is safe heading into the storm.
My apologies @Ziggie I didn't realize you lived closer to the coast. I'd say go for hanging out at Disney to weather the storm.

Ziggie

Our house was built in 1980 with CBS walls and covered with stucco. Our roof is old and has a 4'x4' skylight. We lost the skylight once already. But, if memory serves correctly, our walls would be similar to AofA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom