Hurricane Irma

John park hopper

Reasoning behind the NHC forecast. In summary, the bulk of the models showing it shifting eastward but out of abundance to caution with previous forecasts, the NHC model is also shifted east but not as far. My guess is so that S. Florida doesn't get complacent.

DJCB34cWsAEcp3y
I hope their predictions are correct 120 I think we can get through 185 with higher gusts we are done for

Tony the Tigger

Still second guessing myself ... and we leave for the airport in an hour. :jawdrop:

I'm really, really, really hoping that this is just a couple of days of heavy rain and crazy wind, and being bored out of our minds, stuck in our room; and nothing like what @BuddyThomas has demonstrated.

His pictures reminded me of a WKRP in Cincinnati episode.
View attachment 226889

Well I'm here at animal Kingdom Lodge, moving to grand Floridian Thursday and Friday, so we can split a piece of pizza/cake before the world ends!

These are the models.
11L_tracks_latest.png

Note that the NHC latest map shows a turn into S. Florida.
085945_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

It moves one way, it can move back the other way.

Our home in Fort Lauderdale is completely storm shuttered.

Our dog is in the Disney kennel until Saturday. We are at Disney until Saturday.

If we knew where it was going, we could make plans. We can leave here on Saturday and go to Melbourne with family, but that would most likely be worse.

We can hopefully if still available book a La Quinta in Tampa and bring the dog, just to get out of its way for a day or two, and then drive home on the West Coast instead of the East Coast. But we don't know for sure if it isn't going to go there.

Today is a wait and see day.

The big concern is we run out of options because we wait too long. I may book a room in Tampa with a good cancellation policy.

Our one big mistake if it gets bad is waiting about a day too long to try to get a generator. That is now not possible to do in time.

Meanwhile, flight of passage today and Tiffins tonight.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Well I'm here at animal Kingdom Lodge, moving to grand Floridian Thursday and Friday, so we can split a piece of pizza/cake before the world ends!

Our dog is in the Disney kennel until Saturday. We are at Disney until Saturday.

If we knew where it was going, we could make plans. We can leave here on Saturday and go to Melbourne with family, but that would most likely be worse.

We can hopefully if still available book a La Quinta in Tampa and bring the dog, just to get out of its way for a day or two, and then drive home on the West Coast instead of the East Coast. But we don't know for sure if it isn't going to go there.

The big concern is we run out of options because we wait too long. I may book a room in Tampa with a good cancellation policy.

Our one big mistake if it gets bad is waiting about a day too long to try to get a generator. That is now not possible to do in time.

The Disney kennel boards? I thought it just did day care.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
If you see a very tall girl riding around on a golf car/trash truck from Univeristynof Arkansas that's my kid (also college program). Hoping she she gets called for ride out duty this weekend so she is onsite instead of her apartment. Hope you have a safe and uneventful trip home and the rain holds off for you!

Thank you. Will keep my eye out for her!

21stamps

I vote for the "hotel with good cancellation policy".

Besides that, sounds like you're all set. Enjoy Animal Kingdom :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Many of the rental homes on St. George Island have those motorized shutters on the doors leading out to the beach. Not sure if code required them after Dennis.
When Florida when to a single building code in 2000, structures in what was determined to be the "windborne debris area" were required to have approved storm shutters, impact rated glass or the building had to be designed as a partially enclosed structure. This area was along the coast and went inland for a few miles. The code has been tweaked since then a few times. Currently, those structures have to have impact glass or approved shutters and pre-cut plywood left in the garage no longer counts as "approved shutters".

I always wonder why hinged outdoor shutters are so seldom used, especially in hurricane and tornado alleys. I grew up in the Northeast and would see news reports of people nailing plywood over windows and kept thinking... why not install shutters?
It is a myriad of reasons, most of which center around cost and/or appearance. You also see rather large windows even on tract homes that simply can not be covered with a traditional shutter.

The Bahamian form of storm shutter does however seem to be making a comeback at least here in Florida.

Aluminum%20Bahama%20Shutters%202.jpg

KBLovedDisney

Hi neighbor, I'm up here in Mcclellaville SC and this thing scares the you know what out of me. Having gone through Hugo I have seen first hand what these things can do. We had a 17' storm surge @ the boat landing. Have a son in Johnson City TN may make a run for it there if things look bad of us. Let's pray this monster dies a quick death and heads far east of SC, GA, FL, NC. Have been getting things ready, generator, extra gas, will put up plywood on the windows, if its a cat 2 low 3 may hunker down anything else I'm out of here.
Hi ya. Here in Columbia SC. Just curious. I was looking up evacuation links yesterday and all of them pointed to Columbia. Is that where they tell you guys to head to if a hurricane approaches the coast?

Alice a

Hi neighbor, I'm up here in Mcclellaville SC and this thing scares the you know what out of me. Having gone through Hugo I have seen first hand what these things can do. We had a 17' storm surge @ the boat landing. Have a son in Johnson City TN may make a run for it there if things look bad of us. Let's pray this monster dies a quick death and heads far east of SC, GA, FL, NC. Have been getting things ready, generator, extra gas, will put up plywood on the windows, if its a cat 2 low 3 may hunker down anything else I'm out of here.

I lived in Myrtle Beach for Hugo- we were lucky- just some water and trees and no power for a week. Mclellanville was near the eye, right? Hoping for the best for you and yours, that is a scary surge.

For what it's worth, models have trended a decent bit east over the last 18 hours or so. Most now keep it offshore from Florida. Similar to Matthew's track.

Right now, South Carolina looks to take the worst of it as a strong 3 or 4, but that could easily shift back to the west as we are still several days away.

Ziggie

I would really like some honest opinions please. We are booked at AofA beginning this Friday and are wondering if it will be safe in the path of the storm? We are driving up from Palm Beach County, so we are hoping Disney is a better alternative to where we actually live.

Is anyone else concerned about staying at Disney during the storm? Please... I really need reassurance and honest opinions.

Thanks so much.

Alice a

Hi ya. Here in Columbia SC. Just curious. I was looking up evacuation links yesterday and all of them pointed to Columbia. Is that where they tell you guys to head to if a hurricane approaches the coast?

Yes- I am zone B for evac, and they say head west on I26. We went to Columbia for Matthew last year, and it was still rough. If this thing is as big as it's looking, not sure that is far enough. With 5 pets in my small Sentra, I'm hoping we make it to Newberry, at least.

peter11435

I would really like some honest opinions please. We are booked at AofA beginning this Friday and are wondering if it will be safe in the path of the storm? We are driving up from Palm Beach County, so we are hoping Disney is a better alternative to where we actually live.

Is anyone else concerned about staying at Disney during the storm? Please... I really need reassurance and honest opinions.

Thanks so much.
Disney will be safe. Certainly much more so than Palm Beach. I wouldn't be concerned at all about staying in disney for a storm but understand that you will be stuck in your room and riding it out.

Ziggie

Disney will be safe. Certainly much more so than Palm Beach. I wouldn't be concerned at all about staying in disney for a storm but understand that you will be stuck in your room and riding it out.
It's just that it looks like Disney might take a direct hit?

John park hopper

For what it's worth, models have trended a decent bit east over the last 18 hours or so. Most now keep it offshore from Florida. Similar to Matthew's track.

Right now, South Carolina looks to take the worst of it as a strong 3 or 4, but that could easily shift back to the west as we are still several days away.
Yes- I am zone B for evac, and they say head west on I26. We went to Columbia for Matthew last year, and it was still rough. If this thing is as big as it's looking, not sure that is far enough. With 5 pets in my small Sentra, I'm hoping we make it to Newberry, at least.
It looks like hotel/ motels are filling reservations quick, my sons in-laws were able to get reservations (hard to find) in Henderson NC. It really depends on the storm track inland. We really won't know anything until Monday or Tuesday of next week. I"am hoping it will decrease in strenght by then and move way off shore

Prince-1

Thanks so much.

Please understand that NO ONE on this thread has any idea of what could happen as this is the most powerful hurricane ever recorded to form in the Atlantic Ocean. Most likely you will be safe but people need to make the best decision for themselves and their family. Please do not use the advice of anyone on here including me.

KBLovedDisney

Please understand that NO ONE on this thread has any idea of what could happen as this is the most powerful hurricane ever recorded to form in the Atlantic Ocean. Most likely you will be safe but people need to make the best decision for themselves and their family. Please do not use the advice of anyone on here including me.
1,000 times this! Please stay safe guys and use your best judgement. Keep up with the Weather info.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom