Hurricane Irma

Monorail_Orange

Anywhere on the mainland is safer than the Keys. There is not any shelters open in Monroe County.

Also even for the people on the barrier islands in SoFla.. they are much safer even just west of 95 than they are in their homes.

Typically barrier islands are mandatory evacs and east of US1 is voluntary evac.. we were always told to go west.. where the roofs were still getting blown off and power was still out. But safer than the storm surge.

Interestingly, even myself on a barrier island had power restored faster than those west of '95, and even US1, Mainly because of businesses/tourism.
I understand completely, now, with that context.

JohnD

Original Poster
So I've heard. I had a full tank leaving Amelia Island. Now back to half a tank. Will need to top off tonight. Fortunately, I also have a good supply of water already at home. If it means anything, models have shifted the hurricane eastward. Not good for anyone impacted in Florida but it appears Tallahassee would have less of an impact.

11L_tracks_latest.png

Not to get anybody's hopes use but those are the "Global + Hurricane Models". Here are others:

GFS Ensembles
11L_gefs_latest.png

CMC Ensembles
11L_geps_latest.png

More info at Tropicaltidbits.com

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I understand completely, now, with that context.

With the 1" rise in sea levels, Ft. Lauderdale regularly experiences ocean flooding during storms and some during high tides. Remember, Miami is only 4 feet above sea level. NOAA is predicting up to a 7" rise in sea levels along Florida's Atlantic Coast by 2020.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
For those gathering supplies, don't forget to visit your local dollar stores if lines at the larger stores are long and supplies limited. I've managed to find everything I need, except water!

To add to this from my experience from Superstorm Sandy: If the big name stores are out, look for the little hole-in-the-wall strip-mall no-name shops and gas station convenience stores and pharmacies that have a food section. The majority of folks don't get their food and milk supplies at these places, and so, in emergencies, they tend to still be stocked.

It sounds like I should reschedule my WDW vacation ( Sept 10 - 16). My question is, if Disney does this Hurricane Policy, will my Mickey Halloween Party Tickets be part of the refundable amount?

Last year, I was refunded for both the Halloween Party and Club Villain because of Matthew.

Last edited:

21stamps

Please tell me she's not going to wait until Thursday to leave.....

That's a different friend! Luckily they're in the upper Keys so have less of a distance. Everyone I know in KW is still trying like crazy to get flights out. The traffic is already very bad predicted to get worse.. but they're willing to fly out of MIA FLL or PBI..if they can find flights!! Who knows how long it will take to get to any of those.. but I wish they would all leave now. They're waiting for the tourist traffic to pass. A lot of people were still there from the Holiday weekend

21stamps

@LAKid53 - I'm not the only one having problems.. tried to employ another one of my friends to talk to our crew. Her response is pictured below.
Ugh. I hate South Floridians!! They're so stupid. So glad I left. ;)

IMG_3867.jpg

21stamps

You'd think Andrew would have erased any and all of that South Florida bull...

Too many "false alarms/last minute swerves" in between. It's infuriating. I understand that flights are gone, but danit just get in your car and drive!! I don't care if you sit in traffic for 24 hours and wait in line for 3 hours for fuel sometime during that timeframe. People need to take this one seriously.

Like Scott said- prepare for the worst, hope for the best. That means evacuate if you are that far south, there isn't another option.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom