Hurricane Irma

21stamps

Took a nice 9 hour drive to Central Georgia today and thought of something. Why aren't people going West? Louisiana and Western Mississippi isn't even expected to get hit with hurricane force winds and I-10 seems far clearer than 75.

I didn't even think of that.lol. Much better idea!

21stamps

I can't watch anymore tonight after this video. I am praying for these people. Somehow this forecast just needs to change... but I don't even think it's possible, there's no where else for this storm to go. God help these islands and any living thing on them.

" This is the worst possible scenario for the Keys"

https://twitter.com/foxnews/status/906361493406584838

Last edited:

rocketraccoon

Yeah, the storm is rolling through Georgia all of Monday. Should dry up in southern parts on Tuesday (which is when I gotta leave. Here's hoping for highway 41 being clear). If you're taking refuge here grab some water and batteries tomorrow. Pretty much everyone has those in stock of you aren't on the border.

TalkingHead

Took a nice 9 hour drive to Central Georgia today and thought of something. Why aren't people going West? Louisiana and Western Mississippi isn't even expected to get hit with hurricane force winds and I-10 seems far clearer than 75.

Lot of people have done that. Hotels we called as far as Biloxi were full. Motorists stranded on I-10 in the Panhandle. Yeah, a lot of people have headed west.

Funny how the TV cameras are all in SE Florida -- Tampa looks like an afterthought when it could potentially get it as bad as anyone.

worldfanatic

They'll be there.
It just makes more sense to focus on the areas threatened first.
Unfortunately, I expect heavy coverage from Tampa-St. Pete as the storm moves in.

That's what my wife wants to do, but I'm on the fence. Needless to say, the coverage here makes it sound unlikely that we'll get anything more than Cat 1 winds, and they're not encouraging evacuations.

But -- who am I kidding? -- I'm fully expecting this thing to knock the city's power out for 5-10 days and for classes to be cancelled for days on end.

Whoa whoa whoa.

Tallahassee is still on the west side of the projected path and the storm is barely forecasted to be a hurricane by the time it gets anywhere close to Tallahassee. There's no need to evacuate Tallahassee right now. Wait another day. See what it looks like then. As the storm gets closer, more people will get eliminated from the risk than put into it. Based on the way it is coming, you will likely know if the thing is going to be out over the open Gulf and strike the panhandle as a major hurricane long in advance. That is not currently the forecast.

It is entirely possible Tallahassee sees no wind over 50mph from this storm. No need to high tail it out of town. Not yet anyway.

disneygeek90

One more picture from Epcot tonight. Most entry touch points covered in their normal cloth, then wrapped more.

Attachments

• IMG_1501.JPG
    IMG_1501.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 253

worldfanatic

Whoa whoa whoa.

Tallahassee is still on the west side of the projected path and the storm is barely forecasted to be a hurricane by the time it gets anywhere close to Tallahassee. There's no need to evacuate Tallahassee right now. Wait another day. See what it looks like then.

It is entirely possible Tallahassee sees no wind over 50mph from this storm. No need to high tail it out of town. Not yet anyway.
Lol
I was kinda surprised by some of the "extremely early" Tallahassee Panic in this thread.

Last edited:

Jordanaous

Latest European model is estimating that Monday will be the worst of the storm... Looking at sustained wind speeds around Lake Buena Vista of 54mph at 6am. Gusts are going to be much worse, with gusts around 114mph predicted.

OWnsXHq.png

The GFS (US) model makes for a little better reading in terms of gusts, with max sustained winds of 57mph. Gusts up to 89mph.

Jordanaous

Miami looks like it'll miss the major destruction as the storm continues to move to the west and the cone concentrates on Western Florida... it could continue to shift west, but it's still best to be prepared for the worst, as Central Florida is still expected to receive hurricane force winds..

H05YWr8.jpg

TimeTrip

Miami looks like it'll miss the major destruction as the storm continues to move to the west and the cone concentrates on Western Florida... it could continue to shift west, but it's still best to be prepared for the worst, as Central Florida is still expected to receive hurricane force winds..

H05YWr8.jpg
Funny thing... The NHC changed their "chance of hurricane winds" map to "chance of tropical storm winds"

It seems more likely that Orlando will have tropical storm force winds.. Maybe Disney too.

I'm up in Seminole county and we're forecasted to peak at TS winds. Thankfully :-/

Last edited:

MOUSEGIRL

The reason not many are going west is because it is always safer to go north away from the water. Can you imagine going west only to find out the storm moved west and is now headed straight for Mobile. I live along the gulf coast and have learned with many hurricanes to go north.. when rita came through in 2005 they evacuated parts of Houston and Galveston. we left because of mandatory evacuation orders, my sister went east to Lake Charles guess what the storm turned and she found herself in the middle of the storm. sometime before that we went west for another storm I think Gilbert and guess what the storm tracked to the east. we now know to go north. when ike hit in 2008 we went north and yes we had a lot of traffic but it was worth it in the end. During Harvey no evacuations called for plus there was no place to go they were telling us on the news the even 250 miles north of us would be flooding. The Point is always to always go north or north west.

JohnD

Original Poster
Lol
I was kinda surprised by some of the "extremely early" Tallahassee Panic in this thread.

Models were all over the place. Most models showed it going straight up the Gulf toward Tallahassee, then the models shifted it east so that the eye was off the East Coast, now it's forecast to come in from the west again to make landfall south of Tampa. Bottom line is we won't know the path until it makes landfall, unfortunately.

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member
She's at the border of cat 3 and 4 now, but expected to gain speed again.
8:00 AM EDT Sat Sep 9
Moving: W at 12 mph
Min pressure: 937 mb
Max sustained: 130 mph

Still moving west. The more time over Cuba the weaker she will be. Alsowondering when you're going see a shift north. Models say it should be happening now. But....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom