Hurricane Irma

JohnD

Original Poster
Do you know that TS force winds knocked out power in Tallahassee for over a week last year? It was two weeks before they had power restored to all homes.

Based on recent history, it's perfectly reasonable to think that hurricane force winds will make the city an unpleasant place to be for a significant time.

It's because Tallahassee is a "canopy city". All it takes is a fallen tree to knock out power. And that doesn't take vey much when it comes to wind gusts.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It took them two weeks to restore all power knocked out by tropical storm force winds? Seems like someone dropped the ball.

We have trees, thousands of them. Estimate was that nearly 1000 trees fell. And very few areas on town have underground utilities. So, yeah, 90% without power. Most resident had power restored within a week. But there were pockets that took longer. Hopefully, the City will be better organized this time. Since we're the Governor's backyard, he got involved.

JohnD

Original Poster
Ugh. 2 weeks still seems excessive. Even in your case. Why did it take them that long to remove the tree? Just couldn't get to it quickly because they were dealing with other issues?

Among other things several private utility companies were waived off by the city. They thought they had total control over it. I also don't discount all the fallen trees everywhere. There have been calls to trim back trees but that would eliminate Tallahasee's canopy city designation, you understand. Believe me, that subject is sacrosanct up here. So we'll just have to put up with power outages caused by fallen trees.

LAKid53

Premium Member
It depends upon how many people are affected. If, for instance, a tree comes down and knocks out power to an apartment complex, or a whole street, they'll restore it faster than if it only knocks power out to one house. That's what happened in my case - my next door neighbor had power within a couple of days, but it took them 2 weeks to remove the massive tree that knocked out mine so they could replace the lines.

I looked out my window one day to see extension cords flying over my fence towards my house.

Tallahassee isn't South Florida, we still have trees. And some neighborhoods, like mine, have LOTS of them. The morning after Hermine, there were 3 trees down across my road - all from the same neighbor's lot. It's not going to be IF I lose poeer, but when....

LAKid53

Premium Member
Among other things several private utility companies were waived off by the city. They thought they had total control over it. I also don't discount all the fallen trees everywhere. There have been calls to trim back trees but that would eliminate Tallahasee's canopy city designation, you understand. Believe me, that subject is sacrosanct up here. So we'll just have to put up with power outages caused by fallen trees.

They, have, though, done some trimming. And hopefully Gillium won't turn down help again. But I think resources may be directed South, where the larger population is

LAKid53

Premium Member
I don't have to worry about that huge tree taking down the power lines this time. ;)

A retired TPD officer has a cherry tree that's leaning over the power lines. I put a note on her door several days after Hermine asking if she wanted my tree guy to give her an estimate. Even told the HOA. That tree is still there....and it's coming down during the storm, for sure.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
We have trees, thousands of them. Estimate was that nearly 1000 trees fell. And very few areas on town have underground utilities. So, yeah, 90% without power. Most resident had power restored within a week. But there were pockets that took longer. Hopefully, the City will be better organized this time. Since we're the Governor's backyard, he got involved.

Ahh ok. I get it now. Thanks for the additional details.

Tony the Tigger

Still beautiful on property this morning. Listening to the train whistles and sharing a couple of mimosas.

Today we check out, pick up the pup from Best Friends Pet Care, and move to another room in Orlando where Brian's family booked a few rooms, and they relaxed their pet policy.

That's the best way to go right now. As much as I wanted to stay here and trust the infrastructure , it would be expensive and I don't like the idea of being confined to my room, while my dog is on lockdown for a few days.

Attachments

• IMG_2614.JPG
    IMG_2614.JPG
    262.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2616.JPG
    IMG_2616.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 138

JohnD

Original Poster
Still beautiful on property this morning. Listening to the train whistles and sharing a couple of mimosas.

Today we check out, pick up the pup from Best Friends Pet Care, and move to another room in Orlando where Brian's family booked a few rooms, and they relaxed their pet policy.

That's the best way to go right now. As much as I wanted to stay here and trust the infrastructure , it would be expensive and I don't like the idea of being confined to my room, while my dog is on lockdown for a few days.

Beautiful! Fall is in the air up here. Hard to believe a hurricane is on the way.

21stamps

Beautiful! Glad the weather is still nice for you!

I think you're doing the best thing by staying in Orlando. Here's my bestie, also a SoFla refugee to Orlando (not too far East of you)
She's enjoying her time while she can.. obviously she doesn't golf on a regular basis.lol. I thought her post was comical though.
IMG_4041.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom