Hurricane Irma

5thGenTexan

21433109_1792480224126061_2359173581556145054_n.jpg

21stamps

Is anyone else watching the Duval Street Sloppy Joe's cam? The one facing west?

There's some weird flashing light on one of the stores.

I've seen a moped and 3 cars in the past 2 minutes that I've had it in. Oh, 4 cars now. Looks like rain and some wind.. I'm watching the paper notices on the side of the building to see if they come off. Oh wait.. bikes and a pedestrian now too. This is so creepy.

21stamps

This is awful advice, and people were saying this as early as yesterday, which is laughable. It's still laughable, really. If you are in Key West, you have time to get out. The roads are empty. You can be in Miami by midnight. Way too dangerous? Give me a freakin break. The outer rain bands aren't even there. If you want to know the truth, if the storm crosses the middle keys at noon on Sunday, you could leave Key West this time tomorrow and be okay (assuming you have somewhere safe to shelter on the mainland). Sorry, I'll take my chances in some outer rain bands with winds gusting to tropical storm force over riding out a cat 4 or 5 on a sandbar.

You don't understand the road you take to get out. And if something happens while you're on it- there is no one coming to help you.

You don't understand the road you take to get out. And if something happens while you're on it- there is no one coming to help you.

Car trouble would be disastrous. That, I grant you. Although if you leave now, or even tomorrow morning you would still very likely be able to get help.

But the road? Come on. It's 3 hours, maybe a touch more from Key West to Miami. And if I'm trying to outrun a hurricane, I'll get there in 2.

There could possibly be someone in Key West on the fence about evacuating and you literally just said it is too dangerous to evacuate when the first rain bands are still what... 100? 200? miles away. This is seriously idiotic advice. I'm not saying you should wait until tomorrow night to evacuate, but given the choices between riding it out because it is too dangerous to leave right now (lol?) or making a run for it around sunset tomorrow, I'm making that drive.

21stamps

Car trouble would be disastrous. That, I grant you. Although if you leave now, or even tomorrow morning you would still very likely be able to get help.

But the road? Come on. It's 3 hours, maybe a touch more from Key West to Miami. And if I'm trying to outrun a hurricane, I'll get there in 2.

And what do you do if a storm surge floods the road? Or a tree falls on it? You're basically at sea level and for many miles with water a few feet away from you on each side- the Gulf, and the Atlantic.

There has been announcements for days.. medics are gone, police are gone, firefighters are gone. And they won't be there tomorrow either.

21stamps

There could possibly be someone in Key West on the fence about evacuating and you literally just said it is too dangerous to evacuate when the first rain bands are still what... 100? 200? miles away. This is seriously idiotic advice. I'm not saying you should wait until tomorrow night to evacuate, but given the choices between riding it out because it is too dangerous to leave right now (lol?) or making a run for it around sunset tomorrow, I'm making that drive.

Here, these are screen caps from a video I took from the side of the road near Marathon Key when a storm was coming in. The water is the same distance on the other side. Two Lane road.

I'm not being argumentative at all.. just showing you what I'm talking about. There are much lower points than even in these photos.
IMG_4032.jpg
IMG_4031.jpg
IMG_4030.jpg

Here's the Seven Mile Bridge, I was racing the rain. Would you want to be on a 7 mile bridge, in the rain, surrounded by water, while outer bands of a Cat 4 hurricane were striking your car?

IMG_4036.jpg
IMG_4037.jpg
IMG_4039.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom