Hurricane Irma

Animaniac93-98

I got lucky in that it only took me 15 min over the phone to change my reservation, including the post call survey afterwords.

WDW CMs are likely having to go through a lot right now between worrying about what they'll do personally, along with the dramatic increase in the number of calls (and complaints) they're receiving. I compain a lot about decisions regarding WDW here, but when a situation happens the employees deserve credit for continuing to be as efficient and nice as they can. I made a point of thanking the woman I spoke with for her time and being so helpful.

WestJet too was very good at letting me know my options and making changes quickly.

prfctlyximprct

0D3FCEDC-6B81-4144-B50B-C8E5EF10AE19_zpsfuy6be7g.png

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yup, last year Hermine's 60 mph winds had power outages that lasted for a week in Tallahassee. If this thing veers west any more I'm concerned with what it'll be like there.

Looks like we'll get 60 mph winds again on Monday evening. But no eyewall churning over us for 2 hours - that's what really clobbered Tally.

@AquaDuck, as long as you've prepared and aren't in a mobile home (tornado magnets) you'll be okay.

invader

Looks like we'll get 60 mph winds again on Monday evening. But no eyewall churning over us for 2 hours - that's what really clobbered Tally.

@AquaDuck, as long as you've prepared and aren't in a mobile home (tornado magnets) you'll be okay.
House will be fine. I'm very prepared. Two things worry me - the stockpile of wood and 2x4 for the construction site across from me & power outages. I don't do well without power :eek:

crxbrett

Was WDW closed for a long time after Charley? (I don't remember the storm)

If I recall correctly, they only closed early at about 2pm on Friday August 14. The parks were back open the following day on Saturday. However, AK was closed that Friday and never opened.

So Disney is definitely taking Irma a lot more seriously than Charley. I don't remember what time exactly Charley hit Orlando (I seem to remember it being around 6pm), but that also played a part in the parks only closing early and never actually not opening for Charley.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
Storm scheduled to make landfall Sunday AM. Announced that Disney is closing Sunday AM and will reopen Tuesday. Is that realistic?

LAKid53

Premium Member
House will be fine. I'm very prepared. Two things worry me - the stockpile of wood and 2x4 for the construction site across from me & power outages. I don't do well without power :eek:

They should come clean it up, but stay in the back of the house.

None of us do well without power. My daughter's new place has a gas hot water heater, so at least I've got a place to take a warm shower.

Edited for really bad typing job...

Last edited:

TalkingHead

Yeah, maybe. Then again, the track has continued to move west - Tallahassee wouldn't handle Cat 1 winds very well because of the trees and canopy roads.

I thought the Hermine winds were extremely mild on the north side of town.

crxbrett

Storm scheduled to make landfall Sunday AM. Announced that Disney is closing Sunday AM and will reopen Tuesday. Is that realistic?

The parks opened the next morning after Charley hit, so I think 2 days is probably enough. Disney probably wants to get the parks open as fast as possible for the folks who are already actually there in the resorts and on property in the middle of their vacations. I'm sure people trying to get into the resort area that are arriving afterwards may have issues with roads being blocked or closed, though.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Update from Channel 27. We'll get tropical storm level winds Monday. But the dang thing still looks like it's shifting west.

Most useless quote of the day from weather guy on TWC - "these things don't have brakes". Well, duh....

Rachel146

If I recall correctly, they only closed early at about 2pm on Friday August 14. The parks were back open the following day on Saturday. However, AK was closed that Friday and never opened.

So Disney is definitely taking Irma a lot more seriously than Charley. I don't remember what time exactly Charley hit Orlando (I seem to remember it being around 6pm), but that also played a part in the parks only closing early and never actually not opening for Charley.

I think I remember the parks shutting at 1pm-ish and we were basically on lockdown until the next day. Real quick turnaround to clean up it was more operational stuff like people not able to fly home. Definitely not a good sign if they are planning a longer closure.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I think I remember the parks shutting at 1pm-ish and we were basically on lockdown until the next day. Real quick turnaround to clean up it was more operational stuff like people not able to fly home. Definitely not a good sign if they are planning a longer closure.

Bigger, more powerful storm.

And here's the comparison between Andrew and Irma -

download.jpg

Guess which one is Irma....

*Q*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom