Hurricane Irma

21stamps

I meant the picture and the tag line about there being no work on the castle, not the initial hoax.

Hmm I was expecting something a little more up in the clouds, but it sounds like he's well aware of the implications.

In other news (I'm not sure it hasn't been posted): the NHC now has the eye most probably going straight for the 7-mile bridge. Not good.

Yep, he sounds completely sane. Just stubborn.

Wow. I didn't see that update. Definitely not good.

Grumpy4196

I'm not concerned with 30 mph winds. That's much less than our typical summer storms. Georgia, particularly Atlanta will be fine.

Why do most people (even residents of Atlanta) assume there is nothing else in GA? Storm is still predicted to be borderline Cat1 Hurricane when it gets to GA/FL border. That is much higher than 30 MPH winds. Most structures in GA are not built to withstand high winds unlike FL.

21stamps

Georgia may not fare much better. Rain/wind and tall pines don't really mix.

Didn't one of the '04 or '05 hurricanes travel thru Georgia and up North? I remember flying from PBI to CVG once and seeing blue tarps on houses in both places. Can't remember what storm that was though.

JohnD

Original Poster
Keeps looking worse and worse. It's a very real possibility this scrapes the coast and hits Tallahassee higher than Cat 1. This city would be a disaster and I'm not sure I want to stick around for that.

Tallahassee is currently forecast to have winds 40-60mph. WDW 80-100mph. (Per my Weather Channel app).

5thGenTexan

Chicken Evacuations:

21371159_10155794149588958_9013589173090391644_n.jpg

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Why do most people (even residents of Atlanta) assume there is nothing else in GA? Storm is still predicted to be borderline Cat1 Hurricane when it gets to GA/FL border. That is much higher than 30 MPH winds. Most structures in GA are not built to withstand high winds unlike FL.
I lived my whole life in Florida so yes I feel being through 3 major hurricanes that I have a bit of experience. It will be a tropical depression at best when it "hits" northern Georgia so I'm sorry if I'm not taking 30 mph winds seriously.

Because like 60% of the state's population lives in the greater Atlanta area.

And no, building codes in Georgia aren't as stringent as they are in Miami-Dade... but I don't think you're going to see too many homes (well, maybe mobile homes) being damaged by winds in the 50-70mph range, except damage caused by falling trees.

Bairstow

Plus there's the possibility that this thing will start spawning tornadoes as it moves over land, like Audrey or Danny.

Just last week, Harvey spawned at least two of them here in Nashville.

Last edited:
Didn't one of the '04 or '05 hurricanes travel thru Georgia and up North? I remember flying from PBI to CVG once and seeing blue tarps on houses in both places. Can't remember what storm that was though.

2004 had Ivan, though that was interior Alabama that took it on the chin, not Georgia. Dennis was also MS/AL inland, and also not particularly strong. Katrina was rough in MS and parts of AL.

But really any landfalling storm on the central or eastern Gulf coast can bring down tree limbs and whatnot that could fall on homes doing damage, even if the wind isn't strong enough to directly damage roofs.

TalkingHead

Keeps looking worse and worse. It's a very real possibility this scrapes the coast and hits Tallahassee higher than Cat 1. This city would be a disaster and I'm not sure I want to stick around for that.

Yup, last year Hermine's 60 mph winds had power outages that lasted for a week in Tallahassee. If this thing veers west any more I'm concerned with what it'll be like there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom