Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hopefully most of the properties had flood insurance. The ones with mortgages would have been forced to.
Incorrect
That’s incorrect. Mortgages require home insurance. Flood insurance is optional.
Correct. Most flood area houses do NOT have flood insurance.

And you know why? Because the insurance companies have no interest in providing it…so they lobby the state insurance commissioners to make sure it’s not required and play middlemen to the banks that want it.

“For profit” doesn’t mean “for customer”

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Hopefully most of the properties had flood insurance. The ones with mortgages would have been forced to.

Only if they were in a flood zone. Less than 30% of homeowners have flood coverage

I mentioned it upthread, but it's near impossible to get enough flood insurance in the flood zone in FL to cover your house. We have it but only enough to maybe cover half the expense of rebuilding. If we'd have gotten the surge we were expecting, I don't think we could have or would have rebuilt. Don't get me wrong we're grateful for the flood insurance we have, but it's nowhere near what the house would cost to repair. This is typical for the area. And it's my understanding, and I could be wrong, that if your house suffered flood damage during the hurricane your hurricane insurance will not pay out because your house was damaged by flood. So you get stuck.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To the point about flood insurance…I just saw a commissioner from Charlotte County doing an interview just now talking about calling a number to get an adjuster out…
…fema…

Everyone loves the “free market” when the suns is out and nothing is burning…if not - call your Uncle Samuel

fotofx

I mentioned it upthread, but it's near impossible to get enough flood insurance in the flood zone in FL to cover your house. We have it but only enough to maybe cover half the expense of rebuilding. If we'd have gotten the surge we were expecting, I don't think we could have or would have rebuilt. Don't get me wrong we're grateful for the flood insurance we have, but it's nowhere near what the house would cost to repair. This is typical for the area. And it's my understanding, and I could be wrong, that if your house suffered flood damage during the hurricane your hurricane insurance will not pay out because your house was damaged by flood. So you get stuck.
Where it gets tricky and there have been issues in the past, if your house was flooded AND you lost your roof... Who pays?

But even crazier, how long till all these posts are deleted for being so far off topic?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Right.

The sad reality for your house…and most…is it shouldn’t be built there. The lessons of Sandy at work taught me that.

But the reality is money. The “too big to fail” banks and insurance monoliths don’t want to deal with that…so they don’t and hide when the storm hits.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Where it gets tricky and there have been issues in the past, if your house was flooded AND you lost your roof... Who pays?

But even crazier, how long till all these posts are deleted for being so far off topic?
They’d probably both deny you - legally - And you have to fight it out in a protracted manner

The Mom

Premium Member
Most non- Florida posters are concerned about how this will impact their vacations, not flood insurance. Yes, I know that many will find that insensitive, but this is a WDW forum, so posters are more interested in whether or not they can go on a planned vacation/visit the parks.

So as interesting as the homeowners flood insurance discussion my be to many of you (and as a Floridian who pays for it - a lot), it is not necessarily what posters are looking for when they check about the hurricane status on a Disney fansite.

So rather than get into the old rising versus falling water discussion, please move back to discussing WDW. Thank you.

mightynine

I would hope it’s not out of place to suggest that those planning a trip, or have one coming up shortly, perhaps consider taking the cost of one meal at Disney and donating that to the charities who will help with what will be a long rebuild and recovery for many.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would hope it’s not out of place to suggest that those planning a trip perhaps consider taking the cost of one meal at Disney and donating that to the charities who will help with what will be a long rebuild and recovery for many.

Not wdw related…specifically…but that’s a good idea.

The pictures from the storm damage - some coming directly from one of my offices out of Brandon, Fl…are astounding.

The original Damage estimate of $40 bil has ballooned to well over $100.

This is one of the most expensive storms in US history and we won’t know exactly where that number will fall for years.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Not wdw related…specifically…but that’s a good idea.

The pictures from the storm damage - some coming directly from one of my offices out of Brandon, Fl…are astounding.

The original Damage estimate of $40 bil has ballooned to well over $100.

This is one of the most expensive storms in US history and we won’t know exactly where that number will fall for years.

I was just going to say, any estimate now is an exercise in futility. Areas around town that were not flooded on Friday became flooded over the weekend (discovered that this morning on the way to work when I was rerouted half a dozen times). Shingle Creek, which is about 8 miles from my house, is not expected to crest until sometime late tomorrow or early Wednesday.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Most non- Florida posters are concerned about how this will impact their vacations, not flood insurance. Yes, I know that many will find that insensitive, but this is a WDW forum, so posters are more interested in whether or not they can go on a planned vacation/visit the parks.

So as interesting as the homeowners flood insurance discussion my be to many of you (and as a Floridian who pays for it - a lot), it is not necessarily what posters are looking for when they check about the hurricane status on a Disney fansite.

So rather than get into the old rising versus falling water discussion, please move back to discussing WDW. Thank you.

Should someone who builds a fancy house on a BARRIER island get anything?

G00fyDad

Yup. I had flood insurance in Houston. House was like $200k, flood insurance was like $400 a year. I wasn’t in a flood zone. I did the research before buying, but when the rivers overflowed from river overflowing a few years ago, many houses around it did get flooded. Many people I worked with, including one couple who made about 300k a year, didn’t have it. One person who had a very nice house on the edge of the development, that was barely in the zone, got a couple feet of water. Not sure if they had insurance. It would have been a grand a year tops. I’d guess damage was 50k at least. Plus they had a VERY nice pool that may have been ruined. It’s just not a sustainable insurance pool.

But we were 50 miles from the Gulf. If you choose to build/live in a swamp, 1 mile from the Ocean, you are choosing to take the risk of losing everything. People always talked how the West coast of Florida was very “safe” from Hurricanes. You’re always safe until it happens. People living in those houses had made a decision, most of them with very little thought, that the Hurricane would NOT hit while they lived there. So, it was an acceptable risk. If you choose to live on a barrier island, essentially IN THE OCEAN, you SHOULD realize how you could lose everything some day. Your house WILL be destroyed some day.
Again, not the thread to talk about flood insurance. 😉👍

Stevek

Certain vloggers, including Mr. Unscrupulous, getting called out for their hurricane "coverage". So many of them, like those mentioned, are absolute garbage. And people ask me why I can't stand Disney vloggers. Folks livestreaming the day before touting "Hurricane Preparations" or "Parks open after Hurricane"...it's just so cringeworthy...but fans eat it up unfortunately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom