Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

Disney Analyst

I will admit, I was disappointed in the coverage from Kyle.

While I thought it would be informative to see the experience play out, there is a lack of… taste level. Unsure if it’s an age thing or if he’s just become so focused on “the vlog” he doesn’t realize anymore the severity and seriousness of major storms?

Not great.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I get this, BUT I'm also wildly curious how the parks handle Hurricaines, like so many other people are. After the storm passes, we all want to know how the parks are holding up, what got damaged, what flooded, what was opened and when, what food was offered, if water came through the door.

Like how @JohnD thought he was being picked on for being at the parks, which he wasn't (it was more just the unending park plans), because we all want that first hand experience view. It's interesting. I get why it's distasteful for the bloggers to flock there, but it's no different than storm chasers. It's valuable information for those of us that aren't there.
The only damage I saw at the Studios on Friday was the top of a panel in the Slinky Dog queue got ripped off, and some damage (which was already covered up) outside of one of the main gift shops. Didn't even see any debris on top of the A.S.S. building.

Vloggers aren't required to give that information, there are enough people in these forums who are visiting who can report. :)

Tom Morrow

You do know that the cast members live in affected areas?

In other news, this was shared by the Orange County Sheriffs yesterday.

I've pretty much driven around the whole city since the storm. A couple of neighborhoods are badly impacted. The vast majority are fine.

People heavily affected by the storm are not being forced to return to work. The company is not being evil and greedy. There's nothing to be mad at them for for opening.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My ex husband made a comment once that women tend to talk in absolutes (always, never, all, none, etc.) and men don't. Since he pointed it out I do notice I use them, and I try to use less of them but obviously don't catch them all. Obviously I didn't mean everyone in the world. There's no reason to nitpick pedantics.
You are the root cause of evil…no doubt 😐

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I don't disagree that they can provide insight or a valuable service to those trying to determine whether they should keep their plans.

But I think most folks' issue is with the disgusting "sorry people are gonna die and/or lose all of their worldly possession, but LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE BELOW!" Or that horrible one mentioned in the article who took his family's reservation (no real issue there, especially if the hotels are safer than your residence), but then "took the last" meal kit when he had plenty of supplies back in his room. And his intro video was on this thread, and he was worried about his freaking hair at checkin.

So it isn't so much that they exist, it's the tone-deaf cringe they produce.

You know what some people like that need? A reality check, which could come in the form of a serious ***-whoopin' to knock some sense into their entitled heads.

The parks were spared a more serious impact due to the eye drifting further south then predicted earlier Wednesday. I expected to wake up Thursday morning and have the eye over us, in all honesty.

LSLS

I don't disagree that they can provide insight or a valuable service to those trying to determine whether they should keep their plans.

But I think most folks' issue is with the disgusting "sorry people are gonna die and/or lose all of their worldly possession, but LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE BELOW!" Or that horrible one mentioned in the article who took his family's reservation (no real issue there, especially if the hotels are safer than your residence), but then "took the last" meal kit when he had plenty of supplies back in his room. And his intro video was on this thread, and he was worried about his freaking hair at checkin.

It's definitely different. In no small part because some of the people that wouldn't evacuate said they wouldn't because they could not find hotels so late without leaving the state. Obviously it feels like that wouldn't matter, but if you have 35 vloggers (no idea what a number would be), that's 35 rooms that people who needed them could have had. I don't fault people who were already on vacation sticking it out, but people who come in specifically to show what it looks like when Disney get a ton of rain in 24 hours?

It's also short-sighted. Vloggers should look to differentiate themselves. Use some forward thinking on this. Not only could you show what it was like from your house a few minutes away, but you could have dropped your room/donated (if you REALLY want some good publicity) to people needing to evacuate. Then all of a sudden you have a ton of GREAT publicity.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
That flood damage in Florida is gonna be MASSIVE.

And yes…for once…I am actually an expert here.

My brother in law in Orlando is a structural engineer turned real estate broker and analyst, and my wife is an insurance attorney who fights for coverage.

From what they've seen through their respective jobs, on a state level, Ian's damage will be worse than Andrew.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My brother in law in Orlando is a structural engineer turned real estate broker and analyst, and my wife is an insurance attorney who fights for coverage.

From what they've seen through their respective jobs, on a state level, Ian's damage will be worse than Andrew.
It’s probably the most extensive/expensive flooding in US history.

There is inland and coastal flooding all the way up the east coast.

I’m in New Jersey and it’s rained - hard - from Friday at 8 pm through now. Never have seen that before. Lots of flooding.

Any thing residential or commercial with standing water for multiple days is automatically destroyed. Structural issues will be hard to determine and take time. But much more expensive to fix. Most things are not built to be submerged.

I don’t think wdw would have suffered this kinda damage due to hardened infrastructure…but they would have had a lot more muck clean out if the track pulled a bit farther north.

They were lucky - as they usually are.

Vegas Disney Fan

I get this, BUT I'm also wildly curious how the parks handle Hurricaines, like so many other people are. After the storm passes, we all want to know how the parks are holding up, what got damaged, what flooded, what was opened and when, what food was offered, if water came through the door.
This is how I feel also, I watched a few different vloggers resort videos last week, partly because it’s interesting to see how the parks prepare for and react to a hurricane and partly because I wanted to know how they physically withstood the storm.

Like all professions Vloggers can be good or bad, shock jocks vs DJs, tabloid vs legitimate news… as long as there’s a market for both someone will fill that market.

Fortunately YouTube offers a don’t recommend again button so if someone annoys you just click it and you’ll never see them again, problem solved.

JohnD

Like how @JohnD thought he was being picked on for being at the parks, which he wasn't (it was more just the unending park plans), because we all want that first hand experience view. It's interesting. I get why it's distasteful for the bloggers to flock there, but it's no different than storm chasers. It's valuable information for those of us that aren't there.
Thanks, I think. Okay, so maybe you didn't need song and verse of park plans and they are the least of problems compared to Ft. Myers/Lee County, etc. But that doesn't make someone already at WDW, where WDW wants us BTW, a bad person for deciding how to switch up plans due to a hurricane.

zombiebbq

It’s probably the most extensive/expensive flooding in US history.

There is inland and coastal flooding all the way up the east coast.

I’m in New Jersey and it’s rained - hard - from Friday at 8 pm through now. Never have seen that before. Lots of flooding.

Any thing residential or commercial with standing water for multiple days is automatically destroyed. Structural issues will be hard to determine and take time. But much more expensive to fix. Most things are not built to be submerged.

I don’t think wdw would have suffered this kinda damage due to hardened infrastructure…but they would have had a lot more muck clean out if the track pulled a bit farther north.

They were lucky - as they usually are.
I've see way worse flooding in NJ in the past 11 years. Just last summer it was worse for many, my friend almost drowned in his car during the very heavy rain storms we got. I know three different people who lost their entire first floors, cars and basements during those storms last summer. Ancedotal, but it barely rained this weekend in my neck of NJ this weekend. No way was it the worst it's ever been here.

I came back to this thread to see what the reports were of "backlash" against the company for reopening so quickly. A Floridian friend of mine said it has been heated.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've see way worse flooding in NJ in the past 11 years. Just last summer it was worse for many, my friend almost drowned in his car during the very heavy rain storms we got. I know three different people who lost their entire first floors, cars and basements during those storms last summer. Ancedotal, but it barely rained this weekend in my neck of NJ this weekend. No way was it the worst it's ever been here.

I came back to this thread to see what the reports were of "backlash" against the company for reopening so quickly. A Floridian friend of mine said it has been heated.
So you’re in like Sussex? Upper western Bergen?

Results vary.

I’ve “seen” worst flooding…did some response when the Medford levees broke in like 2008? …but we’ve received about 4 + inches of rain with little letup. Like a 5” snow storm equivalent?

Any assessment can be disputed by someone using their own variables…it’s all relative.

This was a pretty rough week of water from San Juan to New York City. Really hard to argue that one

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Thanks, I think. Okay, so maybe you didn't need song and verse of park plans and they are the least of problems compared to Ft. Myers/Lee County, etc. But that doesn't make someone already at WDW, where WDW wants us BTW, a bad person for deciding how to switch up plans due to a hurricane.
Relax, nobody on this thread was saying you're a bad guy! For serious. True story. And we're all glad you're safe.

BuddyThomas

THIS, exactly. When they go into their freaking “like and subscribe” dance so they can earn $$$ and then they go cover a tragedy, I want to puke.

BuddyThomas

I will admit, I was disappointed in the coverage from Kyle.

While I thought it would be informative to see the experience play out, there is a lack of… taste level. Unsure if it’s an age thing or if he’s just become so focused on “the vlog” he doesn’t realize anymore the severity and seriousness of major storms?

Not great.
It’s a lack of intelligence. He can’t even pronounce basic words. It’s also greed. People give him money and gifts all the time and he wants more.

Stevek

It’s a lack of intelligence. He can’t even pronounce basic words. It’s also greed. People give him money and gifts all the time and he wants more.
Yup. There are plenty of examples of social media influencers/vloggers that have zero desire to do what many of us would call "a job" so they give this vlogging thing a shot. Some are very successful, but you can tell that they absolutely lack intelligence or the ability to interact with other humans outside of the Disney bubble. I do wonder that if and when it ends for them, and it will, what will they do to survive? If I were a betting man, they probably get jobs at Disney.

JoeCamel

Yup. There are plenty of examples of social media influencers/vloggers that have zero desire to do what many of us would call "a job" so they give this vlogging thing a shot. Some are very successful, but you can tell that they absolutely lack intelligence or the ability to interact with other humans outside of the Disney bubble. I do wonder that if and when it ends for them, and it will, what will they do to survive? If I were a betting man, they probably get jobs at Disney.
My thought is they need tram drivers at Epcot......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom