Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

CJR

You know you don’t want to count on that, if you can not be there for the storm don’t be there.

Agreed. Outside of the potential for danger, these things are fluid. Disney doesn't usually make a decision to modify park schedules until 24-48 hours before the storm hits. They may not close at all, they could be closed for a day or two. They don't know, and unless you have an AP, that could be difficult to plan for. I'd say the parks will operate pretty normally the day after they reopen, and probably feel relatively crowded. What day that is and when is difficult.

Moving flights around could be more difficult than in the past as airlines are still facing staffing shortages. This could mean more people may have to ride it out on site. I believe Disney's resorts are usually pretty full during these events anyway, since vacancies are quickly filled by locals who feel safer (although, I'd rather keep my vehicle in my garage). Many of these people probably will pounce quickly once the parks reopen after being stuck inside for a day.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For those of you who have have been to Orlando during a hurricane how long are the parks empty after. Is it even two days?
It’s never wise to “predict” how things will go. But time is money and disruptions cause ripple effects

Fortunately Orlando is near the middle of the land…so they typically don’t suffer tones of damage (2004 being a noted exception)…

But if you were to supposed a storm has a direct track near the property and came through in the morning…it’s reasonable to see things back up by the following afternoons. Wdw has hardened infrastructure and after they’ve addressed any kind of safety issues…it’s back to go.

Lilofan

Agreed. Outside of the potential for danger, these things are fluid. Disney doesn't usually make a decision to modify park schedules until 24-48 hours before the storm hits. They may not close at all, they could be closed for a day or two. They don't know, and unless you have an AP, that could be difficult to plan for. I'd say the parks will operate pretty normally the day after they reopen, and probably feel relatively crowded. What day that is and when is difficult.

Moving flights around could be more difficult than in the past as airlines are still facing staffing shortages. This could mean more people may have to ride it out on site. I believe Disney's resorts are usually pretty full during these events anyway, since vacancies are quickly filled by locals who feel safer (although, I'd rather keep my vehicle in my garage). Many of these people probably will pounce quickly once the parks reopen after being stuck inside for a day.
Parks may have resort guests pounce to get back in the parks but will the cast that rode out the storm in the residences all report back to work? All the attractions and other venues need staffing to operate .

CJR

Parks may have resort guests pounce to get back in the parks but will the cast that rode out the storm in the residences all report back to work? All the attractions and other venues need staffing to operate .

That's very true, but it's never stopped them before. Usually back open within 24 hours, if they close at all.

[EDIT for clarity] I mean 24 hours after the storm has passed, and curfews lifted, not from when the parks closed.

Last edited:

JohnD

That's very true, but it's never stopped them before. Usually back open within 24 hours, if they close at all.
I’m still going down on Sunday and doing the MNSSHP that night. My plans were for EP Mon, MK Tue, AK Wed, HS Thu and return to Ep Fri. I’m expecting all parks to be closed Wed and to ride out the hurricane in my resort. Seriously thinking of changing Tues to AK. And if I get enough rides done at MNSSHP, I may change to MK on Fri.

CJR

I’m still going down on Sunday and doing the MNSSHP that night. My plans were for EP Mon, MK Tue, AK Wed, HS Thu and return to Ep Fri. I’m expecting all parks to be closed Wed and to ride out the hurricane in my resort. Seriously thinking of changing Tues to AK. And if I get enough rides done at MNSSHP, I may change to MK on Fri.

This is just my prediction based on the current forecast, which can change. If it's an Irma-like storm, which is on the more intense side, Tuesday could see an early closure, with Wednesday and Thursday closed, reopen on Friday. Lots of variables in that though.

Bvd10

lol…they havre zero threat of flood
In 1960 hurricane Donna left Orlando and Kissimmee FL under water for over three weeks,many areas more than 3' deep, but those were small towns and nobody remembers. Only a few old farts still around. Hurricanes Frances flooded a lot of areas twenty years ago. A lot of people regretted not having Flood insurance. Only tops of hills have no danger of flooding

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In 1960 hurricane Donna left Orlando and Kissimmee FL under water for over three weeks,many areas more than 3' deep, but those were small towns and nobody remembers. Only a few old farts still around. Hurricanes Frances flooded a lot of areas twenty years ago. A lot of people regretted not having Flood insurance. Only tops of hills have no danger of flooding
Very few and far between wouldn’t you say?

But what I was saying was more how they insurance industry has discouraged people from taking it buy jacking premiums when they’re anywhere near a coast or floodplain.

JCKS

We decided to cancel our trip for Sept 24th through Oct 1st today. The forecast just does not look very promising and we decided it was not worth the risk and money spent to still go. We were driving from Tennessee. We had MNSSHP tickets for Tuesday and will loose that money but cancelled everything else.
Hi! Are you interested in selling those tickets to MNSSHP?

Figgy1

Premium Member
We decided to cancel our trip for Sept 24th through Oct 1st today. The forecast just does not look very promising and we decided it was not worth the risk and money spent to still go. We were driving from Tennessee. We had MNSSHP tickets for Tuesday and will loose that money but cancelled everything else.
Once the watches and warning are posted for Florida you should be able to get a refund or credit. Getting through to get it may be another story

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom