Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

vikescaper

I’ve been trying to figure out what I am going to get my sister for her birthday on Wednesday so Mother Nature is helping me out. I told my sister that she will be getting a hurricane for her birthday.

In all seriousness, be safe everyone! I’m going to spend part of the weekend prepping the house as I will need to assist with prepping where I work next week. I’m hoping for the best here!

JohnD

Anyone have an idea of what the WDW resort cancellation polices are like if central Florida goes under a hurricane watch or warning?

Just looked it up prior to seeing this. If a hurricane warning is issued within 7 days prior to arrival date of trip, you can request a full refund. For example, I'm planning on being there next week. But there is not yet a hurricane warning, so because I'm less than 5 days out, the regular policy applies and I wouldn't be able to get a full refund.

JohnD

TD 10 just formed off the Africa mainland near the Cape Verde Islands. The race is on to see which storm, TD 9 or TD 10 will be Hermine first followed by Ian. The forecast shows a TS for TD 10 later today which means it will have a name.

TD9
145524_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

TD10
144437_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

matt9112

Before I moved to FL I used to be a contractor for MLB and had visited many stadiums. The trop is by far the worst I have been to with the most difficult access for people to come and go. There isn't much around the stadium and while I wasn't there during a largely attended game I can only imagine leaving with really only a few small roads to exit would be a PITA! They either need to move to another city or find themselves in a situation to be in Tampa or best case somewhere between Tampa and Orlando.

Yeah a mid way between orlando and Tampa would be cool like Lakeland.

Lilofan

Better then arriving the day before a major hurricane makes landfall, not being able to get supplies and moping about in my hotel room. Rather fly in the day after.
If Tampa and Orlando airports shut down due to approaching storms then I would venture a number of delays flying in and flying out post hurricane. When I flew into the NYC airports one time the plane landed on time then we waited for almost an hour on the runway before getting to the gate. Too many planes getting in and out of the departure gates. Crazy as it seems arriving the day before a hurricane may get to your final destination airport on time. Getting supplies pre and post hurricane is the same. The store shelves will be empty along with the gas stations gasoline.

Touchdown

Original Poster
If Tampa and Orlando airports shut down due to approaching storms then I would venture a number of delays flying in and flying out post hurricane. When I flew into the NYC airports one time the plane landed on time then we waited for almost an hour on the runway before getting to the gate. Too many planes getting in and out of the departure gates. Crazy as it seems arriving the day before a hurricane may get to your final destination airport on time. Getting supplies pre and post hurricane is the same. The store shelves will be empty along with the gas stations gasoline.
Still better then being stuck in a hotel room with no power and ac. I’m hoping the wall stays south of Orlando and thus the area is relatively saved the worst effects.

Lilofan

I’m arriving Tuesday as well. Prayers we are all safe
Orlando Sentinel is reporting somewhere landfall in FL by the West Coast predicting be a Category 3 hurricane. Good luck to you and keep safe. A Cat 3 destroys homes and when I lived through one hiding in my walk in closet , out of power for weeks, clean up, repair and getting back life are other challenges. Some were killed stepping on live wires in puddles of water. And gators are displaced from their surroundings.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom