Huggle-licious

MKCP 1985

Nemo14 said:
Huggles all! Off to take DS for his road test! Major huggles needed! :)
Best of luck and major huggles headed your way!

We are going to try and get our daughter's road test done tomorrow. *crosses fingers*

speck76

barnum42 said:
Here is Bramble settling in to my GF's house. :D

ygykde.jpg

ygykd4.jpg

very cute....what breed is it?

Safari Giraffe

speck76 said:
Scientists and romantics agree: Loved one's touch brings comfort

Benedict Carey | New York Times News Service
Posted March 13, 2006

Married women under extreme stress who reach out and hold their husbands' hands feel immediate relief, neuroscientists have found in what they say is the first study of how human touch affects the brain's response to threatening situations.

The soothing effect of the touch could be seen in scans of areas deep in the brain that are involved in registering emotional and physical alarm.

The women received significantly more relief from their husbands' touch than from a stranger's, and those in particularly close marriages were most deeply comforted by their husbands' hands, the study found.

The findings help explain one of the longest-standing puzzles in social science: why married men and women are healthier on average than their peers. Husbands and wives who are close tend to limit each other's excesses such as drinking and smoking but not enough to account for their better health compared with singles, researchers say.

"The effect of this simple gesture of social support is that the brain and body don't have to work as hard, they're less stressed in response to a threat," says Dr. James A. Coan, a psychologist at the University of Virginia and the study's lead author. His co-authors were Dr. Hillary Schaefer and Dr. Richard J. Davidson of the University of Wisconsin. Their study will appear in the journal Psychological Science this year.

In situations that are nagging but not life-threatening, easy access to an affectionate touch, hug or back rub "is a very good thing, is deeply soothing," Coan says.

All of which also explains why the withdrawal of affectionate touch can be so upsetting. In research published last year, Dr. Ronald Glaser, director of the Institute for Behavioral Medicine Research at Ohio State University, and his wife, Dr. Janice Kiecolt-Glaser, reported that blisters lingered longer during marital strife.

And rejection, the ultimate withdrawal of touch, registers in the brain much like an electrical shock, says Dr. Lucy Brown, a neuroscientist at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. Fear of the shocks activated a region in the brain "that we saw activated in people looking at a beloved who had recently rejected them," Brown wrote in an e-mail message.

"Love has its risks," she added. "It can make us very unhappy," too.

This is very true. :)

A great big hug or a nice backrub after a stressful day of work makes all the difference in the world.:)

Nemo14

I'm back (with a licenced driver!) It was a stressful morning at the DMV. W e waited in the wrong line for 10 minutes, then after waiting another 30 for his turn, I went to hand the tester the registration and insurance card only to find that DH had the card in his wallet at work. So after driving to get that and returning, we waited in line (again) for DS' turn. I was afraid that all the chaos of the morning would get to him, but he did very well - 90%! :sohappy:

barnum42

speck76 said:
very cute....what breed is it?
She is a pure bred Mutt :D

Jack Russell crossed with something. More than that I don't know. The chap at the pet supermarket where we stocked up with the basics ready for when she was picked up a couple of days later said to bring her in and he'll be able to tell what the mixture is.

MKCP 1985

Nemo14 said:
I'm back (with a licenced driver!) It was a stressful morning at the DMV. W e waited in the wrong line for 10 minutes, then after waiting another 30 for his turn, I went to hand the tester the registration and insurance card only to find that DH had the card in his wallet at work. So after driving to get that and returning, we waited in line (again) for DS' turn. I was afraid that all the chaos of the morning would get to him, but he did very well - 90%! :sohappy:

:sohappy: :sohappy: Congrats! :sohappy: :sohappy:

umm. . . right? :lookaroun

tigsmom

Nemo14 said:

:sohappy:

stranger

Nemo14 said:
It's a mixed blessing - I know you understand what I mean!

You mean it isn't pure excitement? :lookaroun

Congrats to your son! :)
Doug, Good luck to both you and your daughter. ;)

Joe, Bramble is too cute and with a face like that, I can't see her scaring anyone away. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom