HUGE news/rumors

tirian

Also, a lot of the information that Disney CM's are sworn to keep secret sometimes does get filtered out. But, i'm wondering how reliable this "friend" is that he knows all of these things that are "supposed" to happen. Unless he's an imagineer or a very high up manager at the parks, then I find some of these rumors hard to believe.

Very true; but Entertainment has been trying to find a replacement for the Chernabog float for a long time. Remember when they were considering converting it to a pirate float? Just the same, considering the hassle it took to bring Daisy to ToonTown regularly, and considering the scheduling nightmares to fill the Christmas parade each year, adding characters to Spectro is very unlikely.

The other rumors, however, sound plausible, but only because we already know that WDI wants to fully refurbish every attraction. Disneyland was falling apart before its 50th anniversary; at least we don't have to wait for trains to derail and termites to eat everything. Disney considers the MK to be its flagship park, and they're going to make sure it doesn't become as dilapidated as the original one in Anaheim.

tirian

-We will see a new Soarin' film by 2008

-Toontown will see some changes here and there in the next year

Lee, Corrus, am I even close?

I don't know as much as Corrus, but I can confirm that a new Soarin' film is being produced...for Disney Studios Paris. It'll probably come to Epcot, too. Also, Toontown's refurb budget was actually approved about a year and a half ago, but redirected to other things at the last minute.

Magicot

I don't know as much as Corrus, but I can confirm that a new Soarin' film is being produced...for Disney Studios Paris. It'll probably come to Epcot, too. Also, Toontown's refurb budget was actually approved about a year and a half ago, but redirected to other things at the last minute.

Hey thanks tirian!:wave:

browniebee

-JC will get a refurb but NOT with Timon and Pumbaa. It just seems like it would be a huge mistake if they added those characters. And the vast majority on this thread is against it rather than the usual split views. It just doesn't make sense why they would do this.

I'm for Timon and Pumbaa being added to the Jungle Cruise....

Just Kidding:animwink: --I think it would really ruin it..just spruce up JC and give us new boats!

jedimaster1227

I still am amazed at how Mickey's Starland (renamed Mickey's Toontown Fair) became such a popular area and how it is going to be refurbished soon. Any chance you know what kind of changes will be made to the land? Any chance of a new attraction? I would love to see a Roger Rabbit's Toontown Spin at MK, but I don't really think it could happen (and I don't think there is enough room in the park for it).

tirian

I still am amazed at how Mickey's Starland (renamed Mickey's Toontown Fair) became such a popular area and how it is going to be refurbished soon. Any chance you know what kind of changes will be made to the land? Any chance of a new attraction? I would love to see a Roger Rabbit's Toontown Spin at MK, but I don't really think it could happen (and I don't think there is enough room in the park for it).

Right now, the answer is "No" to all your questions. Sorry.

I don't know how much $$$ was previously approved, but I do know that it was to refurbish all the character meet-and-greet areas. The money was relocated to Toon Park and Donald's Boat, so it couldn't have been a huge budget. Right now, the only plans are to refurbish what's there; some folks in WDI want to retain the Toontown Fair theme to differentiate it from DL's Toontown (yet for some reason, it doesn't matter in Tokyo). I don't think any new rides are coming, especially not one based on Roger Rabbit.

There is plenty of room for Toontown to be expanded. But as far as I know, all eyes are on the old 20K site, where various projects keep getting thrown around as possibilities. Fantasyland can handle new attraction crowds better than TT, and several viable concepts have been proposed. Just the same, a new Adventureland attraction seems more likely at this point. (Lee knows what I'm talking about...)

Everything is pretty much Blue Sky.

Edit: One thing is certain: with attendance up to its highest point since 9/11 and the dramatic refurbishment DL received for its 50th anniversary, WDW execs are eager to get the MK looking its best again.

raven

I'd love to see another attraction or two added to Fantasyland in the old 20k spot. I'm sure they would add a theatrical stage show venue in that spot but I would much rather see a couple more dark rides like Alice or Pinochio from DL.

imagineer boy

jedimaster1227 said:
I would love to see a Roger Rabbit's Toontown Spin at MK, but I don't really think it could happen (and I don't think there is enough room in the park for it).

There is TONS of room. Toon Town can easily extend into the former 20k area. If someone could find a current ariel shot of the area, it would be greatly appreciated.

Crazy Harry

I think everything rumored on this thread would be a healthy addition/upgrade EXCEPT for the Timon/Pumba preshow. What's the point. Add some new scenes or effects and spruce up the current ones but leave them out of it. It just seems so unnessisary. The jungle cruise is profitable and marketable without their addition. It seems like in many cases the addition of pre-established characters takes away character from the intended experience. Where it's thought to enhance the experience is really a hinderence to it. I feel less like I'm preparing to board a boat for an exotic jungle voyage and more like riding a theme park ride. I like disney the same reason I like any good movie; suspention of belief. From my point of view it's their job to make me feel like I'm in a haunted mansion or sailing the seven seas with pirates and not like I'm experiencing a comercial for Lion King merchandise.

If some pre ride entertainment is neccisary, I would much rather it pertain to the experience. There are no talking animals on the ride so there should be none in the preshow. I remember when I went to disneyland they had the "local" radio station playing which sufficiently occupied my mind, do they do that at WDW too cause they should either add it or it's good enough.

Now if I thought their addition would be a benifit I wouldn't mind. I think What they are doing at Living seas is outstanding. It was in need of improvement and there are so few attractions at Epcot specifically geared toward children. I miss the original sign and the sunset but I suppose it made sense in a big picture way.

dxwwf3

Now if I thought their addition would be a benifit I wouldn't mind. I think What they are doing at Living seas is outstanding. It was in need of improvement and there are so few attractions at Epcot specifically geared toward children. I miss the original sign and the sunset but I suppose it made sense in a big picture way.

I'm with you. I will certainly miss the way the Living Seas used to be with the Seabase Alpha theme and "The Seas" film, but it isn't something that was one of my very favorites and the pavilion was rather dated. The addition of the Nemo characters is a fit for the pre existing pavilion and it looks like they are making the cosmetic changes fit in the the Epcot theme. They could have easily gone the cartoony route with the design, but it looks like they have done something better than that.

I've been behind the Nemo change from the start and it looks like Disney is doing a great job here. Hopefully the ride will be another worthwhile addition to Epcot.

Crazy Harry

Can you give some examples?

And this is solely from a personal point of view and I suppose my statement would have been much better served saying the potential addition of characters to pre-existing attractions seeing as how very few have actually gone through, but I'll explain.

The tiki room is the main one which comes to mind. The addition of yago and zazu may not have significantly hindered the original idea concidering they are after all singing birds but I doubt have enhanced it either, and from my point of view certainly not. Besides, the tiki room is not themed to either alladin or lion king so they certainly don't belong.

Even Tarzan's tree house in Cali in this category for me for two reasons. First is it seems to me sculptures of the tarzan characters were just thrown in as a desperate attempt to resurrect a failing attraction whose original purpose was to represent innovation and creativity utilizing minimal resources.

What do goofy and Pixar characters dancing have to do with liberty square and how is it any better than golden horseshoe revue?

The Alladin spinny ride in the middle jungle town is a little tacky IMO.

Then there are rumored changes such as Cars to the tomorrowland speedway (Cars characters have less to do with "tomorrow" than the current attraction does which if I am not mistaken is already very popular without them), or the three caberllos to el rio which have as much to do with Mexican culture as Taco Bell, or that someone thought adding Godzilla to the world showcase was a good idea.

I suppose the potential frightens me more than anything. I just wonder where it stops. How about lion king and tarzan charcters in the jungle cruise ride, or woody narrating big thunder mountain, or donald duck in place of the grave keeper in the haunted mansion.

Not only do I not like many instances or potential instances of character additions but I also prefer in some instances original concepts as opposed to attractions using prexisting characters. I hate feeling like an attraction exist solely for the purpose of making money. Sure, that is the main reason, but a really good attraction does this without being intrusive instead of reminding you that the disney corporation intends reinforcing their brands (characters/movies) with ongoing subjection.

A good example of proper character use is Splash Mountain. They are rich characters in an immersive environement whose purpose was not to enhance profitability with their presense but however provide a good back drop for an attraction. And despite no one remembering the movie it's one of the most popular attractions at the world. That just goes to show it takes a good ride and not a prexisting character to bring in the peeps and enhance profitability unless you are banking on sales of merchandise and DVDs more than anything else. Stitch escape is also a great example, but at the other end of the spectrum. A good character doesn't automatically make a good ride.

And remember, I don't claim any of the above is true, just my opinion and how I feel, but feel free to tell me I'm wrong anyway, keeps the discussion going, just as long I'm not called a self involved idiot for feeling this way.

Epcot82Guy

And this is solely from a personal point of view and I suppose my statement would have been much better served saying the potential addition of characters to pre-existing attractions seeing as how very few have actually gone through, but I'll explain.

The tiki room is the main one which comes to mind. The addition of yago and zazu may not have significantly hindered the original idea concidering they are after all singing birds but I doubt have enhanced it either, and from my point of view certainly not. Besides, the tiki room is not themed to either alladin or lion king so they certainly don't belong.

Even Tarzan's tree house in Cali in this category for me for two reasons. First is it seems to me sculptures of the tarzan characters were just thrown in as a desperate attempt to resurrect a failing attraction whose original purpose was to represent innovation and creativity utilizing minimal resources.

What do goofy and Pixar characters dancing have to do with liberty square and how is it any better than golden horseshoe revue?

Then there are rumored changes such as Cars to the tomorrowland speedway (Cars characters have less to do with "tomorrow" than the current attraction does which if I am not mistaken is already very popular without them), or the three caberllos to el rio which have as much to do with Mexican culture as Taco Bell, or that someone thought adding Godzilla to the world showcase was a good idea.

I suppose the potential frightens me more than anything. I just wonder where it stops. How about lion king and tarzan charcters in the jungle cruise ride, or woody narrating big thunder mountain, or donald duck in place of the grave keeper in the haunted mansion.

Not only do I not like many instances or potential instances of character additions but I also prefer in some instances original concepts as opposed to attractions using prexisting characters. I hate feeling like an attraction exist solely for the purpose of making money. Sure, that is the main reason, but a really good attraction does this without being intrusive instead of reminding you that the disney corporation intends reinforcing their brands (characters/movies) with ongoing subjection.

And remember, I don't claim any of the above is true, just my opinion and how I feel, but feel free to tell me I'm wrong anyway, keeps the discussion going, just as long I'm not called a self involved idiot for feeling this way.

well stated.

wannab@dis

I understand it's your point of view, but your original statement appeared to be very fact based and I honestly couldn't think of any attractions that were worse off after a character was added. I can think of a couple where some people feel that way, but they have no actual data to back their claims.

I believe it actually helped to have the addition because the old one had lost appeal to many.

I can't say since I've not seen it or really seen reactions first hand.

It's fun... Again, we can only see this from our points of view, but do you honestly believe the revue was successful prior to the change?

Covered this in another thread already, but I think it works fine. I'll give you this point only if you can explain how the original Tiki Room fit "in the middle jungle town." ;)

These are only rumors and with the exception of the Cars overlay, appear to have little legitamacy. I can see a Cars overlay simply because it makes sense. What does the current attraction have to do with Tomorrowland? Absolutely nothing. So why not enhance it?

A good example of proper character use is Splash Mountain. They are rich characters in an immersive environement whose purpose was not to enhance profitability with their presense but however provide a good back drop for an attraction. And despite no one remembering the movie it's one of the most popular attractions at the world. That just goes to show it takes a good ride and not a prexisting character to bring in the peeps and enhance profitability unless you are banking on sales of merchandise and DVDs more than anything else. Stitch escape is also a great example, but at the other end of the spectrum. A good character doesn't automatically make a good ride.

I understand your point of view but it seems a little narrow to me. Attractions are still being built and changes are still being made that do not include characters. But there are places where they make sense. Is JC one of them? I really don't know since we don't have a clue as to how they may be used. I personally can see it working, but I can also see how it could be disruptive.

Characters are a *huge* part of the Disney culture. There are times when you have to just sit back and remember that Disney is a business and they should exploit their properties to affect their bottom line. To date, I've not seen that exploitation negatively affect the long term duration of the parks, but rather an attempt to create more enjoyment for the guests walking through the gates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom