HUGE news/rumors

bgraham34

Characters are a *huge* part of the Disney culture. There are times when you have to just sit back and remember that Disney is a business and they should exploit their properties to affect their bottom line. To date, I've not seen that exploitation negatively affect the long term duration of the parks, but rather an attempt to create more enjoyment for the guests walking through the gates.

Yes and no, just look at Stitch. Every person I have personally have come in contact with who is not a Disney regular is sick of that thing. I have a friend who said he is not returning until Stich is gone. Jokingly of course. But in all you are right. Disney knows when to kill someone especially before the public gets up in arms, well at least they use to.

wannab@dis

Yes and no, just look at Stitch. Every person I have personally have come in contact with who is not a Disney regular is sick of that thing. I have a friend who said he is not returning until Stich is gone. Jokingly of course. But in all you are right. Disney knows when to kill someone especially before the public gets up in arms, well at least they use to.
Stitch appears to be the only example that actually has some merit. Even though he's popular, there appears to be some backlash. However, I don't think it's as prevalent as the diehards would like to think.

nibblesandbits

Stitch appears to be the only example that actually has some merit. Even though he's popular, there appears to be some backlash. However, I don't think it's as prevalent as the diehards would like to think.
I think you'd be surprised though. My husband, who is no where near the fanatic that I am, who loves Stitch, went on the ride and thought it was lame. And I didn't warn him before we went on it that many thought it was...that was his own thought. Now is it something we'll continue to see when we go to Disney? Probably, if the line isn't long...but it is definitely not something that we both LOVED.

wannab@dis

I think you'd be surprised though. My husband, who is no where near the fanatic that I am, who loves Stitch, went on the ride and thought it was lame. And I didn't warn him before we went on it that many thought it was...that was his own thought. Now is it something we'll continue to see when we go to Disney? Probably, if the line isn't long...but it is definitely not something that we both LOVED.
I wasn't really implying SGE... but the "stitch invasion" that some see as a major problem.

Epcot82Guy

Again, I think the problem is that many people accuse the "purist geeks" of opposing changes. That is JUST not true. The vast majority of attractions that have been replaced or updated needed something done. However, where the problem is lies in this new trend of requiring characters in just about every renovation or refurb done. Each of the attractions at one point filled a very necessary role/void. They may not be filling that now, but many of the character implementations have completely changed the void that is being filled. That is where the character changes are causing "damage." There is a big difference between updating and changing. And, we are seeing some of the great things that can come from the former, especially at WDW and DL. IASW, DL's Mansion, Pirates, overall The Land, DL's SM, DL's JC, etc. However, many of the character importations have changed what the original place was: Tiki, SGE. This is not always bad. In fact, some roles were overfilled or unnecessary. While I miss what they were, I can understand why Epcot is getting the Nemo-fied Seas and why Buzz is infinitely more successful. Pirates is a similar situation where people were confused by the lack of Capt. Jack. However, each of these really should not lose sight of the big picture of the isluar "lands," a fault Disney really is having trouble with or intentionally disregarding (and admittedly so by many managers). I guess I still have a huge problem when people claim that purists hate change. Purists hate abandonment of the things that worked that leaves a void, especially when so many projects have maintained classic approaches while implementing new ideas and ways to fill the remaining hole.

Crazy Harry

Covered this in another thread already, but I think it works fine. I'll give you this point only if you can explain how the original Tiki Room fit "in the middle jungle town." ;) .

Because the exterior of the building is appropriate to the area concerning the essense and archetecture and is concealed within itself and not a right in your face sour thumb. Tropical birds are... tropical. They are common to many of the areas Adventureland represents and the tikis provide an added polynesian flare which is also present in areas of the land.

I'll comment on the rest some other time.

wannab@dis

There is a big difference between updating and changing. And, we are seeing some of the great things that can come from the former, especially at WDW and DL. IASW, DL's Mansion, Pirates, overall The Land, DL's SM, DL's JC, etc.
Seven examples of what you think are good "changes."

However, many of the character importations have changed what the original place was: Tiki, SGE.

Where are the "many"... you've only given two examples... the same two that are always used.

While I miss what they were, I can understand why Epcot is getting the Nemo-fied Seas and why Buzz is infinitely more successful. Pirates is a similar situation where people were confused by the lack of Capt. Jack. However, each of these really should not lose sight of the big picture of the isluar "lands," a fault Disney really is having trouble with or intentionally disregarding (and admittedly so by many managers).
Again... you're making sweeping generalizations but failing to give actual examples of where they are at fault. The Seas looks to be infinately better and more popular. Isn't that the name of the game? Give the guests something to enjoy instead of something to skip? (See current thread) PotC is getting rave reviews. Looks like it was a success. You've only given two examples of "problems" -- one of which is debatable.

I guess I still have a huge problem when people claim that purists hate change. Purists hate abandonment of the things that worked that leaves a void, especially when so many projects have maintained classic approaches while implementing new ideas and ways to fill the remaining hole.

Where is the void?

wannab@dis

Because the exterior of the building is appropriate to the area concerning the essense and archetecture and is concealed within itself and not a right in your face sour thumb. Tropical birds are... tropical. They are common to many of the areas Adventureland represents and the tikis provide an added polynesian flare which is also present in areas of the land.

I'll comment on the rest some other time.
Ok... so if they had built a desert oasis and placed the spinner inside, you would be fine with it? Surely you would find "soaring over Agrabah" adventurous? :D

Crazy Harry

Ok... so if they had built a desert oasis and placed the spinner inside, you would be fine with it? Surely you would find "soaring over Agrabah" adventurous? :D

Yes actually that sounds much better :D , and as long as it was not in the middle of everything. I can imagine a nice arabian style building which doesn't clash too much with the surroundings, and inside the building a mock-up of agrabah and a starry night with fiber optics. Or even just an arabian town backdrop would be better.

Speaking of soarin over agrabah, I always thought video technology could be well utilized in an Alladin dark ride, especially the escape from the cave with the wave of lave after you.

Oh, and I win so concede the point and I'll getcha on the rest later when I don't have so much work ;) . I'm on more now than I should be.

Crazy Harry

I believe it actually helped to have the addition because the old one had lost appeal to many.

Is the new tiki room really bringing in that many more people because I doubt it? The old journey thru imagination lost it's appeal, does that mean the new one is better or more popular?

FigmentJedi

Why would they add Lion King characters to a attraction when Lion King is way past it's prime?

Because Lion King= awesome.
Trouble is that they don't want to flat out give the movie its own attraction, as in an actual ride rather then a stage show.

imagineer boy

Crazy Harry said:
Is the new tiki room really bringing in that many more people because I doubt it? The old journey thru imagination lost it's appeal, does that mean the new one is better or more popular?

I agree. Adding characters to the Tiki room didn't give the Tiki room any bigger crowds than the old one had at all. Same with JII.

wannab@dis

But was the lifetime of Tiki Room extended by adding the characters? I'm not sure there's a verifiable way we can know, but IMO it helped make it more appealing than the old one. It had become tired.

jedimaster1227

Why would they add Lion King characters to a attraction when Lion King is way past it's prime?

Actually, the Lion King isn't past its prime, though the franchise has been used up in the parks. The Lion King is one of the most popular Disney broadway shows in New York (I personally didn't love it-but that is because I compared it to Phantom of the Opera :lookaroun). The Lion King has been in each park in some form. From characters in Fantasmic at MGM, the stage show at the Magic Kingdom (now Philharmagic), The Festival of the Lion King at Animal Kingdom and the Circle of Life in Epcot, the Lion King is a franchise that much has been invested in and for a long time, it was one of Disney's greatest assets. While its popularity has waned over the years, it is still viewed upon as one of Disney Animation's best films.

I don't support the addition of these characters to the Jungle Cruise as I would much rather see some new effects and some upgraded scenes as done for other flagship attractions.

dxwwf3

But was the lifetime of Tiki Room extended by adding the characters?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I would think that most fans would rather have had something completely different than what happened with Under New Management. It may still be the Tiki Room in appearance, but the new show just isn't the "Tiki Room" to most people around here. If it was time for a change there, then they should have actually done something worthwhile there. And if that had ment a complete overhaul, then so be it.

Crazy Harry

But was the lifetime of Tiki Room extended by adding the characters? I'm not sure there's a verifiable way we can know, but IMO it helped make it more appealing than the old one. It had become tired.

Any change will make an attraction more appealing for a certain amount of time. And I agree that the old tiki room was tired, but two characters and a pop culture bandaid doesn't make for a vast improvement and just intrudes on the essense the attraction originally had. It's like sweeping the dirt under the rug rather than actually cleaning the mess. Or do oyu rememebr the Adam Sandler movie Big daddy where he covered messes with newspaper instead of fixing them. Same idea IMO.

What's more apealing about the attraction for you?

I personally would rather have it replaced with something completely different although superior than the original or current rather than what we are stuck with now.

Thanks for the news; I really wish I lived closer to Disney!!! I am not sure I like the sound of a "new" Space Mountain rather than just a refurbished Space Mountain. I like the traditional ride itself and hope it stays the same for a long time with no changes to the way the ride is now.

"Have a great big beautiful day!"

imagineer boy

wannab@dis said:

So? It still doesn't bring in any crowds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom