How things change..What do you miss?

dixiegirl

Original Poster
Ok so the other day I was watching old videos of one of our trips to disney back in 2001 .. And I was thinking how things change there, how things use to be that I miss, some for good some and well ...not so good.... things..what do you miss that has changed??

For me The thought came right away to food, I miss the freakin tollhouse icecream cookie sandwich ,BRING IT BACK!!!!
I miss walking up to a restaurant and getting a ressie for that day or sometime that week,
I miss the cheese and fruit dish and the yummy sandwiches in the self serve area they use to have at POR , and I miss it being called DIXIE LANDINGS!!!
I also miss how life was before free dining....I may be one of the few ,yes I have gotten it , its nice , but to me I could do without it....and the crowds it usually brings....I miss September being very , very, slow(crowd wise)...I have noticed since the free dining it has picked up.. Not horrible but enough to notice a difference..Although it still is a fav time of year for us to go!!!

I miss the skyway....god I loved that ride and MR Toads WILD RIDE(RIP) that was good... And Yes I miss HORIZONS...I wish I could have appreicated it when it was around!!
I miss the characters walking around the park...It made it feel so much more magical.....
Yes I could go on and on but I won't bore you.....so what do you miss???

Rogue71371

WOW! I could copy your entire post! That's funny! I will be there in 24 hours and here are the things I am going to miss. These are not in any real order.

1) The Penny Arcade. Wow! I loved it! Not just for the "games of the day" but for all the stuff you just don't see any more.

2) Aunt Pollys on Tom Sawyer Island. Nothing beat having a PB&J with some cookies and lemonade while watching the park from across the river.

3) DIXIE LANDINGS! We always stay in Riverside now, but it will always be Dixie Landings to me.

4) Horizons.

5) Skyride.

6) 20,000 Leagues under the Sea.

I know there are more. but I do not want to bum myself out. :)

Figment632

Epcot Center
Horizons
The Living Seas
SSE actually having a decent
Dreamfinder
The living Statues

MK
Alien Encounter
TL before it became stichified
Dreamflight because I hate Buzz SRS

MGM Studios loved that name
Original Backlot tour

AK
CTX

The over all imagination that used to go into rides and attractions. Creating new characters instead of doing cheap refurbs and making every atttraction have to be based on an existing character.

sueuk

Tollhouse cookies - YES, The Skyway - YES, - also anything that came before Stich has to be missed; but I really miss individual shops where you could get things that nowhere else sold, now if you forget to buy some souvenir or gift then it's almost certain that The World of Disney (or the shop up the street) has it!!

WOW! I could copy your entire post! That's funny! I will be there in 24 hours and here are the things I am going to miss. These are not in any real order.

1) The Penny Arcade. Wow! I loved it! Not just for the "games of the day" but for all the stuff you just don't see any more.

2) Aunt Pollys on Tom Sawyer Island. Nothing beat having a PB&J with some cookies and lemonade while watching the park from across the river.

3) DIXIE LANDINGS! We always stay in Riverside now, but it will always be Dixie Landings to me.

4) Horizons.

5) Skyride.

6) 20,000 Leagues under the Sea.

I know there are more. but I do not want to bum myself out. :)

Good list!

I miss the Penny arcade as well. That was alot of fun.

Gotta disagree on the skyride. Not the biggest fan and I think the park looks better without it

yankspy

MK
The Adventureland Veranda.
If You Had Wings.
The Enchanted Tiki Room. (Under old management)
Alien Encounter.
Oscar Mayer(Hormel)
King Stefan's Banquet Hall.
The House of Magic.
The Walt Disney Story.

Epcot Center
Horizons.
Communicore.
World of Motion.
Making same day dining reservations at world key kiosks, or anywhere for that matter.
The Odyssey.
Centorium.
The original Imagination pavilion.

Downtown
The lake Buena Vista Village.
The Empress Lilly.
The Village Restaurant.
Toys Fantastique.
The Gourmet Shop.

Just a few.

KingStefan

Tapestry of Nations
If You Had Wings
Original Enchanted Tiki Room
Diamond Horseshoe Review
Mission to Mars
Dinner show with Desi Arnez impersonator at Bongos
Main Street Cinema
Kids of the Kingdom
Timbuktu Traders and the big open space in Adventureland
Mike Fink Keel Boats
Food Rocks
All the Wonders of Life attractions
(and yes) Captain EO

yankspy

Tapestry of Nations
If You Had Wings
Original Enchanted Tiki Room
Diamond Horseshoe Review
Mission to Mars
Dinner show with Desi Arnez impersonator at Bongos
Main Street Cinema
Kids of the Kingdom
Timbuktu Traders and the big open space in Adventureland
Mike Fink Keel Boats
Food Rocks
All the Wonders of Life attractions
(and yes) Captain EO
I was just about to ask about Pinnochio.:lol:

Good list.:)

flydisco

Penny Arcade was by far my favorite.
Discovery Island
Mr Toads
Top of the World Breakfast buffet at Contemp
The way the arcade was at the Contemp when they use to play Disney movies that were not yet available on VHS. (Yes I said VHS!!!!)

KingStefan

I was just about to ask about Pinnochio.:lol:

Good list.:)
Thanks.

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking. I rode it in DLP when DD #1 was three, and she loved it, and so I'm thinking to myself about all the things we've done over the years that we didn't see the last time we were at the World, and that popped into my head. Of course we didn't see it there, because it is in Paris!:lol:

cpeterstx

I'm tempted to mention many of the same attractions that other have. However, here's what I really miss. I miss going to Disney as a child when I had no clue what things cost. When I never had to worry about a budget. I miss how big everything was when I was young.

Of course my parents had to worry about the stuff listed above but I never did.

I still love, LOVE going to WDW but now that I actually have to plan it and pay for it, the "magic" is a wee bit smaller. Just a wee bit though!

SirGoofy

MK
-Mr. Toad
-AE
-POTC minus Captain Jack
-20K...the lagoon more than the ride. The ride was uncomfortable and kinda lame IMO. But I miss the view of the lagoon in FL
-As a Jungle Skipper...LET US SHOOT THE HIPPOS! PC AND THE WWF BE DAMNED!

EPCOT
-EPCOT Center
-Journey Into Imagination Version 1
-Horizons(although I do love M:S)
-Living with the Land's personal narrators. I hate automated spiels.
-Tapestry of Dreams/Nations

Studios
-The Ninja Turtle meet and greet...I love the Turtles
-The hatless view
-Real animators in the Animation Building

Overall
-The AC

flydisco

I'm tempted to mention many of the same attractions that other have. However, here's what I really miss. I miss going to Disney as a child when I had no clue what things cost. When I never had to worry about a budget. I miss how big everything was when I was young.

Of course my parents had to worry about the stuff listed above but I never did.

I still love, LOVE going to WDW but now that I actually have to plan it and pay for it, the "magic" is a wee bit smaller. Just a wee bit though!

It is funny that you say that. I also remember going on my parents dime when we they had the GOLD KEY plan which included everything. All of our meals (Empress Lilly dinner bill over $200 back in the 80's!!), the boats on the lagoon, etc....
It was great. Now I think about paying for the same type of vacation and my heart stops. The premium vacation plan for 1 week at the poly is $10k for a family of 4!!! OMG:eek:

Slighty

I miss the Tollhouse cookie Sandwich too!! DUDE that thing was my favorite to get at any ice cream stand..
I miss the way Spaceship Earth used to be- it's all good and nice now, but i loved it back then, it was so much more cool!
I also miss 'MGM Studios'- i hate when the employees greet you and their like "Welcome to Disney's Hollywood Studios." And i'm like, wait where am I?

It's sort of a small thing, but they took out those signs near the smoking area at the exit of "Dinosaur" that said things like,"Food, fangs, fun" And
"Have you had your Crocidillian today?" I loved those signs! :(

And they didn't let you shoot at the hippos ( Sirgoofy )??
The lady that was our skipper shot at them. She must have been an older employee then i guess.

SirGoofy

It's sort of a small thing, but they took out those signs near the smoking area at the exit of "Dinosaur" that said things like,"Food, fangs, fun" And
"Have you had your Crocidillian today?" I loved those signs! :(

Really? When I was there in January they were still there.

And they didn't let you shoot at the hippos ( Sirgoofy )??
The lady that was our skipper shot at them. She must have been an older employee then i guess.

We aren't supposed to shoot directly at the hippos. Instead we have to fire up in the air to "scare" them. Because of course the most dangerous animal in Africa would be afraid of a bang.:rolleyes:

That and I want the old school guns back, without the stupid wire, that actually shot blanks.

*Gets off soap box*

I'm done.

Slighty

We aren't supposed to shoot directly at the hippos. Instead we have to fire up in the air to "scare" them. Because of course the most dangerous animal in Africa would be afraid of a bang.:rolleyes:

Oh, i was just there in the begining of February, and at the end of our trip, they had been changed!

All right, i got it now.. Yeah, thats what she must have been doing.
Haha, if anything they'd get angrier upon hearing the bang! ^_^

TheDisneyMagic

That and I want the old school guns back, without the stupid wire, that actually shot blanks.

*Gets off soap box*

I'm done.

The signs are still there, but the quotes may have been covered over or remembed. It has been a couple of months since I went in to DAK so my memory is playing up on me but I think it was when the whole McD stuff was removed.

Slighty

The signs are still there, but the quotes may have been covered over or remembed. It has been a couple of months since I went in to DAK so my memory is playing up on me but I think it was when the whole McD stuff was removed.

Yeah, thats what i meant; the signs are there, but the qoutes aren't the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom