How MyMagic+ handles attraction closures with FASTPASS+

fosse76

The same problem exists with current FP. Is you have a FP for Space Mountain tonight at 9pm, and the park closes at 10pm, and it breaks down at 9pm for the rest of the night you will not ride Space Mountain. Under the new system you will get an alternative FP. Isnt that a benefit?

No, it is not the same problem. If Space Mountain breaks down and reopens, you can still use your FP to ride Space Mountain. If it happens toward the end of the night, what makes you think that there will be any FP availability for anything else in the park that night? And what if it's your last night in the park? Yes, it's great that they will give you a FP for the next day. But end of night breakdowns aren't really the issue. People will accept being unable to ride Space Mountain with a FP if it breaks down at the end of the night and doesn't re-open. But if it breaks down at noon and re-opens at one, I don't think that it is right that I should lose my 12:30pm FP, and now I have to wait in standby since there are no more Space Mountain FPs for the day. That's the big difference.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This really is the post of an apologist. They don't block out a bunch of tables for same-day dining at any of the TS restaurants, so what makes anyone think that they will reserve FP slots for same day reservations? It's a ridiculous assumption that they would leave some FPs for same-day availability. And what incentive would they have not to? People can't reserve FPs until they have their ticket media, so they won't be able to base their decisions to book a WDW trip on the availability of FPs.

It's not ridiculous at all - it makes sense in a lot of ways to allow headroom for changes. There is no opportunity cost lost (unlike tables) if a FP allocation goes unused.. the capacity rolls over to standby. Leaving headroom allows for things like
- tours
- GAC
- guest recovery
- rolling availability
- etc

There are many potential uses - it's just a question of how progressive or simplistic Disney choses to be.

Just look at threads like this.. would Disney gain more customer satisfaction by getting someone a FP+ reservation 60 days out.. or by getting them on their favorite attraction when something goes sour?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This really is the post of an apologist. They don't block out a bunch of tables for same-day dining at any of the TS restaurants, so what makes anyone think that they will reserve FP slots for same day reservations? It's a ridiculous assumption that they would leave some FPs for same-day availability. And what incentive would they have not to? People can't reserve FPs until they have their ticket media, so they won't be able to base their decisions to book a WDW trip on the availability of FPs.
No this is the post of someone just looking at the facts and not making assumptions. A table unused costs them money. For that money it, is worth booking the restaurants to 100% and telling walk-ups no. A fastpass unused costs them nothing. It is not worth refunding a single day guest his ticket because he/she can't ride a single attraction due to every attraction being booked up 60 days in advance.

devoy1701

It's not ridiculous at all - it makes sense in a lot of ways to allow headroom for changes. There is no opportunity cost lost (unlike tables) if a FP allocation goes unused.. the capacity rolls over to standby. Leaving headroom allows for things like
- tours
- GAC
- guest recovery
- rolling availability
- etc

There are many potential uses - it's just a question of how progressive or simplistic Disney choses to be.

Just look at threads like this.. would Disney gain more customer satisfaction by getting someone a FP+ reservation 60 days out.. or by getting them on their favorite attraction when something goes sour?
I think it's more accurate to assume that they will overextend the FP capacity by 110%-120%.

Captain Chaos

The current FP can't be relied on either though. If Space goes down at say 2pm, are you just going to wait outside all day long in the hope that it reopens? Doesn't sound like a good way to spend a day. If you did want to do that, one option of course would be to wait in the standby line, and soon as it reopens you would be one of the first to enter, as most people would leave the standby queue during an extended breakdown.
If Space Mountain goes down for technical reasons at 2, and you have a FP at 2:30, you go and do other things... You check back later, and if the ride is open again, say at 5:00, they honor your 2:30 FP... If you have a FP+ for Space Mountain at 2:30, and the ride goes down, and you are offered one of 8 choices, what good does it do you? Will they honor your Space Mountain FP later in the day when the ride comes back online? Is the replacement FP+ a replacement or in addition to the 3 you currently have? And if you don't have a smartphone (I do but NEVER carry into the parks with me) or an iPad or other device, then how will you know the ride is down? Same way as now... By finding out when you arrive at the attraction.. With FP+, without one of these devices, not only do you have to walk to the attraction to find out (geez, I guess walking does kill a lot of the WDW guests today since many, well never mind) but now you have to walk around to seek out a FP+ kiosk, thus taking out more time for your day...

Yea, this new system blows chunks... Thankfully none of the other parks are going this route... I can still have a good time elsewhere instead of being stressed out at WDW...

t3techcom18

Holy crap...

Woke up from a nap and this got leaked out; all hell broke loose.

Okay, SO...to provide an official inside scoop on this policy...

Just to let everyone know, WDWMagic and every other website reporting the same thing is half-explaining this in the wrong way. I was given the update just the other day, so I'll give you guys a thorough explanation.

The FP+ policy for downtimes:

1) If an attraction goes 101 while you are in line and your FP has already been redeemed, you will have the same scenario as it is right now: You will get a physical FP readmission pass for use later in the day. This is something I imagine will change once the entire system comes online and FP becomes paperless.

Keep in mind: Under FP+, FP are not redeemed until you reach the second checkpoint, aka the Merge point. That's why those second set of readers are there.

2) If an attractions goes 101 BEFORE it is redeemed (aka before you get to the Merge point OR before you reach the attraction), you will receive notification and two things can happen.

This is the part that WDWMagic and everyone else is getting wrong.

There are two options that will happen:

1 - The first option given is that you can extend your FP+ for that attraction for the rest of the day and show up whenever you want to. It's virtually the same policy there is now when it comes to FP's during a downtime - if it's down when you visit, we'll honor them later.

2 - You are given the option to get another FP+ for something else. However, there's a caveat: If it is an FP+ for an E-Ticket attraction, you can choose any attraction on FP+...EXCEPT other E-Ticket attractions.

For example: Downtime at TT. If TT goes down, you can get everything in FP+ EXCEPT Soarin'. Same goes vice versa.

I imagine this will prove to be the case over at the MK when it comes to the larger array of E-Ticket attractions there.

As Steve has said, when it comes to downtimes, if it's past a certain hour (namely the last hour of operating day), there's a downtime situation and it appears unlikely to be resolved within that timeframe, you will be receive notification. You will be given an extra FP+ for any attraction at any park for the following day. In other words...you will have not 3, but 4 FP+ to use the next day. Woohoo!

While the other option is quite a bit of a slap in the face, the recovery option for the following day is a genuine plus of the FP+ system (IMHO, the only one so far).

Before anyone asks any questions, I'm gunna be answering some in the next post so wait to see if I answer your question properly...

Last detail to keep in mind: FP ratio at almost every FP attraction will be continued to be used as is: 80% FP, 20% Standby. Make that as you will...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think it's more accurate to assume that they will overextend the FP capacity by 110%-120%.

Yeah, it could go lots of ways. See my earlier post about 'premium' passes. Its quite possible that not all requests would be treated the same... some allowing oversubscription, while others do not. You can have such a model and still enforce limits on the total capacity allocated.

A simple illustration...
allocate 70% as early reservations
allocate 20% as short-term reservations (day of or similar)
allocate 10% as headroom to be used for special case needs (guest recovery, tours, etc)

allow special case tokens (premium tokens) to oversubscribe the targeted allocation by up to 20%, but standard requests are capped by the target allocation at 90%

Just an example.. if I thought I wanted to minimize impact. In reality.. Disney would probably make numbers like 50%+ :)

njDizFan

Well currently, you can always come back later and use the FP when it reopens. This potentially shuts you out completely from the attraction. And considering the number of times these attractions break down in a day, I'd say a lot of people are going to be shut-out of using FPs at the attractions that are really desireable.

Exactly! with the number of attractios that go down each day this could be a major problem. Especially if you are at any other park bu the MK and their lack of actualy rides.

t3techcom18

My question is, when does this happen? When the ride goes down, or when you Fastpass window arrives and the ride is currently down?

When the ride goes 101.

So if I have a Fastpass for 3:00 PM, and the ride goes down from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM, I still loose my Fastpass for that ride? If this is the case then this is going to lead to A LOT of Fastpass cancelations.

As someone else said, that's at the discretion of the management team. They have final say over said situations.

I think there is no question that a lot of guest recovery can be done this way. It is also interesting that they are holding back FP+ inventory for these re-arranged cancellations.

It is interesting. It is also interesting how this upcoming test starting 8/2 will be the first test that will cut into the overall FP inventory. Paper FP's will go out quicker and we're gunna have a lot of people scratching their heads as to why. It's...gunna be interesting.

Here's another factor about simple 're-ride' problems.

If an attraction re-opens - and you have a large # of people with a token that allows them to re-ride at any time. What happens when all those people surge back because the ride is open now! Lethargic lines.

The only way to counter that is not let all the FP people return at the same time.. so you have to ration them out. The longer the attraction is closed, or the closer to the end of the day - the harder it is to do that.

The first part: Yep. That's what happens now with the standard FP.

The second part is exactly what they want to do: not let them return all at the same time. They don't want the massive flood as it usually is, they want the guests to trickle in by spreading them out. Of course, seeing that the FP honoring for the rest of the day system is still there, the flooding of people will undoubtedly still happen.

A question in regards to our international guests.

Will this notification be send over wireless or by Wi-Fi? If the notification is sent as a wireless push, the international guest will incur a fee on every notification, under the assumption that the international guest does not have an international phone plan.

From what I've heard, this will be an option that you yourself will choose. I've heard push, I've heard email, I've heard text, so take that as you will.

fosse76

The current FP can't be relied on either though. If Space goes down at say 2pm, are you just going to wait outside all day long in the hope that it reopens? Doesn't sound like a good way to spend a day. If you did want to do that, one option of course would be to wait in the standby line, and soon as it reopens you would be one of the first to enter, as most people would leave the standby queue during an extended breakdown.
No, you come back later in the day. This isn't rocket science. You seem to be going out of your way to paint this as the best system ever. Currently, if the ride breaks down, during your FP return, you can come back later when it reopens and use that FP. The new system will cancel that FP and give you another one...but for a different attraction (let's face it, the rides people are concerned about are the marquiee attractions that won't have any FPs on the day-of visit). There's no guarantee that the "new" FP will be anytime soon. So you're no better of than you are now, since you can get a another FP now during the breakdown. Are people really that lazy that they can't come back when it reopens...isn't all this new NextGen stuff going to have wait time apps, so you'll be able to tell before you make the trek whether or not the attraction had re-opened?

Tigger1988

Holy crap...

Just to let everyone know, WDWMagic and every other website reporting the same thing is half-explaining this in the wrong way. I was given the update just the other day, so I'll give you guys a thorough explanation.

1) If an attraction goes 101 while you are in line and your FP has already been redeemed, you will have the same scenario as it is right now: You will get a physical FP readmission pass for use later in the day. This is something I imagine will change once the entire system comes online and FP becomes paperless.

Keep in mind: Under FP+, FP are not redeemed until you reach the second checkpoint, aka the Merge point. That's why those second set of readers are there.

2) If an attractions goes 101 BEFORE it is redeemed (aka before you get to the Merge point OR before you reach the attraction), you will receive notification and two things can happen.

1 - The first option given is that you can extend your FP+ for that attraction for the rest of the day and show up whenever you want to. It's virtually the same policy there is now when it comes to FP's during a downtime - if it's down when you visit, we'll honor them later.

2 - You are given the option to get another FP+ for something else. However, there's a caveat: If it is an FP+ for an E-Ticket attraction, you can choose any attraction on FP+...EXCEPT other E-Ticket attractions.

For example: Downtime at TT. If TT goes down, you can get everything in FP+ EXCEPT Soarin'. Same goes vice versa.

I imagine this will prove to be the case over at the MK when it comes to the larger array of E-Ticket attractions there.

As Steve has said, when it comes to downtimes, if it's past a certain hour (namely the last hour of operating day), there's a downtime situation and it appears unlikely to be resolved within that timeframe, you will be receive notification. You will be given an extra FP+ for any attraction at any park for the following day. In other words...you will have not 3, but 4 FP+ to use the next day. Woohoo!

While the other option is quite a bit of a slap in the face, the recovery option for the following day is a genuine plus of the FP+ system (IMHO, the only one so far).

Before anyone asks any questions, I'm gunna be answering some in the next post so wait to see if I answer your question properly...

Last detail to keep in mind: FP ratio at almost every FP attraction will be continued to be used as is: 80% FP, 20% Standby. Make that as you will...
This seems like a vast improvement over the current policy, but that won't stop people from complaining for the hell of it.

TinkerBelle8878

I'm glad they are addressing this but there still seems to be a problem with it that maybe only some other people have noticed. You're locked to one park/one day with the FP+. So you say choose one like Space Mountain and that's gone down for the afternoon. Your FP is expired out. You're not planning on going to MK again the next day. You've already planned out all your other FPs months and months before. You're told you can choose from one of 8 other options in the MK that day. Most likely it'll be non E tickets to even out crowds from already booked and able to be used FPs. Splash is out, Thunder is out, anything on the same level as Space most likely will be full up already. So that may leave TTA, Buzz, Stitch, Small world...basically wasting your FPs. There should be a way to re FP for Space later that day if its available. For them to message the phones with a yes/no if they want to FP at the next available times. Then if not, maybe letting them add Space for the next MK day as an additional 'fourth' FP that trip.

I'm still not a fan of this whole system. Its either going to overload and overcrowd the rides months before an actual visit or its going to overload once one of these breakdown scenarios take place. Bring back just everyone waiting on a line. That should save Disney billions, and that's what everything they do seems to be about lately.

Buried20KLeague

Honestly I have not seen one review about those who have used the FP+ or Magic Bands that has been all negative...

Of course not. The tests thus far have been to test the systems without being under a load. How would people NOT enjoy being part of a select group given the keys to a new car? Until this system is put under a full load, looking at the tests from a guest satisfaction point of view is meaningless.

And I'm quite sure that's part of TDO's reasoning for doing things this way. What better than a large number of positive reviews to share with the powers that be?

Talk to me after full roll out. Until then... :rolleyes:

luv

Holy crap...

This is better. You can come back later. Yay.

If they don't stick to this policy of, "We expect you to keep checking, know when the ride reopened and be back within an hour of that", they will not only have fewer disappointed and annoyed people, but they won't have a flood of them immediately upon re-opening. Just let them come back later, whenever it works out for them. Win-win.

I don't like wristbands, so am not a fan of wearing one. I'm sitting back and waiting on the rest of it. I'm not convinced it will go well and think it is far from the hotels' Revenue Managers' dream come true, but we will see. I really hope it works out well for vacationers and Disney, though.

spacemountain89

I guess my opinion will depend on what is offered as a replacement. If my replacement for Soarin is SSE, the Seas, or Maelstrom, I'll be miffed.
If the attraction goes down. You have two options, one come back later and use your fp or change to a different fp. for example you have one for test track for 1:00-2:00pm and it goes 101 at 1:15pm. Your fast pass is in that window so it will automatically send you an email saying that you have the option to change your fastpass or use your fastpass later when the attraction is 102. So it is the exact same as the current system as far as using a fastpass at later time due to a downtime. The list you can choose from if you choose to change your fastpass is TT, EO, Figment, Living with the land, Maelstrom, M.S., Nemo, and SSE. If the attraction goes down in the last hour of operation when your fastpass is then it will issue a next day, any experience, any park fastpass in addition to the 3 that you have already selected for that next day.

KatMaria

This is better. You can come back later. Yay.

If they don't stick to this policy of, "We expect you to keep checking, know when the ride reopened and be back within an hour of that", they will not only have fewer disappointed and annoyed people, but they won't have a flood of them immediately upon re-opening. Just let them come back later, whenever it works out for them. Win-win.

I don't like wristbands, so am not a fan of wearing one. I'm sitting back and waiting on the rest of it. I'm not convinced it will go well and think it is far from the hotels' Revenue Managers' dream come true, but we will see. I really hope it works out well for vacationers and Disney, though.
There is a way to set it up and have it emailed to you when your ride come back online if you want to extend your fast pass, or you can keep checking the app.

lazyboy97o

Outside of Disney? None of them, they don't have the infrastructure in place to do it, or the money.
I can see where smaller parks have no use for the advanced reservations, but I do not see how or why companies like LoQ cannot offer more encompassing solutions. The common implementation for LoQ is a paid/tiered system where reservations are based on current waits, but I see no reason that could not be adjusted for more specific times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom