How much space does DHS have?

EpcotFanForever

Note that Toy Story Mania occupies stages 2 and 3. Stage 1 is currently used as more scene shop space. Stage 1 is the rumored queue location for the Monsters coaster.

Other recent rumors I have heard include:

- closure of the multi-lane entrance road and adding more lanes to the entrance off Buena Vista

- relocation of Lights Motors Action practice pad to the former main entrance road.

- relocation of costume and scene shop next to paint shop (where catastrophe canyon is)

- Monsters Coaster Stage 1, costume and scene shop and former lights motors action practice space.

- Expansion from parade gate out towards the former entrance road.

- At one time it was actually announced that they were building a restaurant at the end of sunset just up the ramp towards Fantasmic.

Note that the master planning for the park always intended for a Southernly expansion to include another "main" street like Sunset next to Star Tours. You can visualize the master plan boundary with the main drainage canal around the park.

At last - some rumors that actually make sense. When I've looked as a map of the place, I always assumed the entrance road would be closed some day. It just eats into too much park space where it sits now, and really is not of much use anymore with guests encouraged to stay on property. Thanks for this!

yeti

It's kind of a redundant question -- the have as much room as they want. If you are asking "within the current boundaries" they have plenty of room, and already have plans to do some tearing down and rebuilding (i.e. ride the Tram Tour while you can)...but the real theoretical answer is they have as much room as they want -- they can expand as far out of the current boundaries as they want. They OWN everything.

Only until things start to sink....

Perhaps one should take a gander at the RCID 2020 Comprehensive Plan...not quite as much land ready to expand into as one might think.

Google it.

rangerbob

At last - some rumors that actually make sense. When I've looked as a map of the place, I always assumed the entrance road would be closed some day. It just eats into too much park space where it sits now, and really is not of much use anymore with guests encouraged to stay on property. Thanks for this!

Not from what I always see. The lots are almost always 1/2-3/4 full durint the year and then summer they are completely full. If people are relying on the Disney busses the # of cars aren't proving it.

RSoxNo1

I typically stay on 192, and in the last 10 years I've only arrived at the Main tolls for DHS by accident. I always go through the back entrance.

TP2000

For the past 10 years, I always rent a car when I go to WDW, even when staying at a Monorail hotel. And I always drive to DHS and park in the lot, with a lot of other cars.

I didn't rent a car on one trip to WDW, around the Millenium. It was a total nightmare. The WDW buses were crowded and hot and dirty, and quite poorly managed from start to finish. It had all the magic of riding a city bus at rush hour, and that's not how I'm going to spend my vacation. :hurl:

I saw the bus lines and madness outside the parks, and how old and creaky the WDW bus fleet is looking, on several occasions on my last visit. I gladly walk over and get in my rented Chrysler and don't give it another thought.

EpcotFanForever

Sure am. I'm not suggesting that parking goes away - only the South entrance to Studio parking area.

By my read of the map, that entrance only serves those coming in from 192. The entrance starts south of Osceola Parkway. When I'm on property with a car, I only enter from the north, off of Buena Vista Drive. Why should Disney maintain a special entrance that caters only to those who stay off-property?

And, as the above poster said, it opens up a whole new part of the park to the south, all the way to the drainage canal.

DisneyParksFan

The entrance off of Buena Vista Drive has only two lanes for cars and one for WDW buses.
Closing the entrance off of World Drive would provide logistical nightmares for the entrance off BV Drive. Not only would that entire entrance there have to be re-designed, but so would the entire BV Drive in that area as well.
Because as it is currently designed, that entrance can not handle much traffic. Try using it on a busy weekend or a day that caters to a special event.

MUTZIE77

Why don't you like that show? I thought it was awesome when I saw it.

I liked the show the first two times I saw it (just like the indiana jones stunt show) but its not something I am going to see every trip, or even every other. I guess feel like it is a waste of space as well. I mean the footprint is pretty huge and there are only two shows per day (at least the last few times I have been there). I just think the land that was used to build it, could have been used better.

EpcotFanForever

The entrance off of Buena Vista Drive has only two lanes for cars and one for WDW buses.
Closing the entrance off of World Drive would provide logistical nightmares for the entrance off BV Drive. Not only would that entire entrance there have to be re-designed, but so would the entire BV Drive in that area as well.
Because as it is currently designed, that entrance can not handle much traffic. Try using it on a busy weekend or a day that caters to a special event.

Agreed - that entrance would have to be redesigned, and there is plenty of space to the southeast for other entrance paths. The World Drive entrance as it currently exists is of no use to anyone on property. Remember it was put in long before the resort proliferation.

lazyboy97o

Not what i would call a disney show. No relation to any disney movie. Its fun but i would rather have a ride in its place. Or at least an imersive enviroment for star wars or Indy.
With the exception of sequels and spin offs, everything that you now consider Disney related fit your definition of not being related to Disney, including Mickey Mouse.

anonDisney

Not what i would call a disney show. No relation to any disney movie. Its fun but i would rather have a ride in its place. Or at least an imersive enviroment for star wars or Indy.
Nor is Tower of Terror, Rockin Roller Coaster, Big Thunder Mt Railroad or any number of rides...

Star Wars and Indiana Jones are not Disney movies and American Idol is not a Disney show.
The Muppets were also not owned by Disney until 2004 (well after they were a key feature of the theme park).

DHS is all about movies, and not just Disney movies. Thus a stunt show that shows exactly how great car stunts and chases are performed and filmed is a perfect fit for the theme park.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Why should Disney maintain a special entrance that caters only to those who stay off-property?
Errr... because there are thousands and thousands of visitors who could never afford to stay on property?

Because the majority of guests in the park are from off property?

Because BVD is at saturation?

Because BVD was never designed to be a major throughfare as it has become?

Because the BVD junction is signal controlled?

Because on property guests also have a special entrance via the bus?

Because the main World Drive gate is an entrance for 192, I-4, International Drive, Kissimmee, Central Florida....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom