How much space does DHS have?

fyn

I liked the show the first two times I saw it (just like the indiana jones stunt show) but its not something I am going to see every trip, or even every other. I guess feel like it is a waste of space as well. I mean the footprint is pretty huge and there are only two shows per day (at least the last few times I have been there). I just think the land that was used to build it, could have been used better.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. LMA should be the finale to a longer, more immersive James Bond attraction.

trr1

Why don't you like that show? I thought it was awesome when I saw it.

I liked the show the first two times I saw it (just like the indiana jones stunt show) but its not something I am going to see every trip, or even every other. I guess feel like it is a waste of space as well. I mean the footprint is pretty huge and there are only two shows per day (at least the last few times I have been there). I just think the land that was used to build it, could have been used better.
I agree with you MUTZIE77 the show was ok and its just that all the smells there were a little overpowering( burning rubber, carbon monoxide,propane,ect,ect.) that you can smell at the back of the park

For what its worth parking is so tight at the Studios because 3/4 of the guest TV lot is now cast parking. The original cast parking was where Rock and Roller Coaster is now. They can always use some of the backstage wooded area to move cast parking back to the North side of the park. They can also keep the entrance off World drive and just relocate it right along the canal and open up a ton of space. The animation building parking garage is also a lot emptier these days then it used to be.

Goofnut1980

Looking at the Wiki map... What are they going to do with the two closed gold course areas... They are HUGE.. one is bigger than MK!

Slugger

I've actually seen the proposal for a new entrance way for DHS. As of right now there are two entrances to DHS. One off of 192 and the other off BVD. The proposal that I saw that was right around New Years was that the BVD entrance would be shut down to guests and would be used only for Disney buses, but it will continue to be used as the exit of the park. A new entrance would be built off of Osceola Parkway that would merge into the Main Auto Plaza along with traffic from 192.

Yes, I am a CM at DHS.

EpcotFanForever

I decided to take an extended look at the South entrance during my visit last week to see just how much use it got. The bottom line is 'not a whole lot'. I still believe the North entrance can be modified to be a primary entrance to the park, or an alternate entrance can be constructed from Osceola Parkway, which was not a major road when the park opened. In fact, all traffic has to exit via the North entrance, and a two-way connector to Osceola Parkway would be a more sensible way to access the park.

I realize I'm being shot down by a senior person here whose work I respect. Nonetheless, I would not be surprised to see the old South entrance being converted into a new practice area for the stunt cars so that more acreage can be made available for expansion.

In many ways this is my favorite park, and it is much in need of some TLC and consistent theming.

(waiting to get shot at again)

jmuboy

Just moving the south entrance of DHS 30 yards south would make for a HUGE chunk of land to expand upon and not require a more expensive complete redesign. This shoft could even allow for a couple hundred additonal parking spaces.

Another comment from above I agree with is this park needs a dedicated imagineer (much like Bob Weiss is guiding the DCA re-boot). DHS does not need a DCA style re-boot so to speak, but this park does need to redefine itself, its theme , etc from a marketing stand point as well as refocusing its theme and layout internally to help mkae the park make a little more sense.

RSoxNo1

Just moving the south entrance of DHS 30 yards south would make for a HUGE chunk of land to expand upon and not require a more expensive complete redesign. This shoft could even allow for a couple hundred additonal parking spaces.

Another comment from above I agree with is this park needs a dedicated imagineer (much like Bob Weiss is guiding the DCA re-boot). DHS does not need a DCA style re-boot so to speak, but this park does need to redefine itself, its theme , etc from a marketing stand point as well as refocusing its theme and layout internally to help mkae the park make a little more sense.

Say this is done - where is the park itself expanded from? Do you open it up where the Premier Theater is, or do you create a path along Star Tours?

To me, the best approaches for expanding this park are the elimination/relocation of the Animation Building to open up that area and/or eliminating the backlot area.

goofntink

I've actually seen the proposal for a new entrance way for DHS. As of right now there are two entrances to DHS. One off of 192 and the other off BVD. The proposal that I saw that was right around New Years was that the BVD entrance would be shut down to guests and would be used only for Disney buses, but it will continue to be used as the exit of the park. A new entrance would be built off of Osceola Parkway that would merge into the Main Auto Plaza along with traffic from 192.

Yes, I am a CM at DHS.

Also the bus and tram load zones are going to be moved out into the parking lot area adjacent to the entrance road next to the charter bus lot. The entrance to the park will be moved out to the area where charter bus load zones C3 - C14 currently are located. Handicapped parking will also be relocated as well. The entire area from the main entrance to the parking lot adjacent to the charter bus lot would be used for the expansion coming up.

I am with Bus Ops.

DHS could use a bit of reworking, not as much as DCA, but it needs it. Why doesn't every theme park have an imagineer?

I also think it's a good idea for them to reuse the old backlot areas and make them part of the park.

FutureWorld1982

LMA at WDW, is poor in its execution comparison to its French cousin.

I can't necessarily agree with that, because having seen the "Moteurs.. Action!" show at WDS since the park's grand opening day, it was still as boring and with as many unnecessary interruptions as its counterpart here at DHS... Just wanting to point out that they may try to fit something else in that huge space, maybe even retaining the theming of Lights, Motors, Action.

misterID

Take a look at this aerial photo:

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=28.3574168&lon=-81.5561056&z=16&l=0&m=b

There's a large plot of land at the end of Sunset Boulevard between Tower and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, but that obviously doesn't spread out the crowds. There's another large area between the Animation Courtyard and Sunset Boulevard that has similar access issues as the large cleared area behind Asia in the Animal Kingdom - it will require moving some things around.

They can also gain a substantial amount of space by removing the Backlot Tour, and they have the Sounds Dangerous Theater to work with for expansion as well.

Very cool map.

The planned Indy ride that never happened, that went out into the parking lot, anyone know if those plans kept the stunt show? I can't remember. I think there was a restaurant included in the plans, too.

PlaneCrazy1978

Not heard of that one since the "Disney Decade"!

I cant' find it anywhere, but do you remember that short preview video for DHS that had Jim Hensen where he was talking about the long forgotten Muppet ride - I think that video also had something about the expansion across World Drive.

But then again, that was 20 + years ago and I'm getting old...:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom