How much space does DHS have?

jt04

The only thing that could be relocated is the costume center, but that would be a multi-million dollar project to gain at the most 80,000 sq feet.

There is tram storage and servicing that disney would need to find backstage at dhs, along with the other machinery back there. There is the LMA practice area that can not be moved unless they find the same size area near LMA.

Any kind of relocation of the backstage at DHS would need to have DHS expanded to compensate for that relocated backstage. DHS is going to be needed either way, it would be better to just use the expanded land for a new land or two.

From what I remember they announced a new costume shop was being built elsewhere and that was a couple years ago. So I think they could close the DHS costume facility anytime they wanted. Then by closing the BT and removing the large maintenance facility it uses, there would be plenty of room to expand. Remember also that some imagineering type company moved out of some offices about a year ago. So the stage is set if they decide to expand.

flavious27

No clue on the official numbers on LMA, but they only run the show twice a day when I'm there. The place was pretty full the last (& only) time I saw it, but still, I don't know how many visitors/day that equals compared to Indy, which runs more often.

Indy can seat 2000 with 5 shows = 10,000

lma can seat 5000 with 2 shows = 10,000

Each have an extra show each week, so lma can have 3,000 more guests per week and 150,000 more each year.

flavious27

From what I remember they announced a new costume shop was being built elsewhere and that was a couple years ago. So I think they could close the DHS costume facility anytime they wanted. Then by closing the BT and removing the large maintenance facility it uses, there would be plenty of room to expand. Remember also that some imagineering type company moved out of some offices about a year ago. So the stage is set if they decide to expand.

If that is true, there would be room to move the practice area.

lmapracticemoved.png

That would open up enough room for a coaster the size of rnr

dhscoaster.png

But if it is a monsters inc coaster that is added, would this building really fit into with the buildings around it?

Ride%20and%20Go%20Seek%2004.jpg

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The average cost for an one story office building in the miami area is $154 per sq in 2009, which was about mid pack of other 10 mertro areas in the us.

As a pedant Im sure you'll appreciate me pointing out that a costume area is akin to warehousing more than office and I believe in a solid all format costs around $75 per sq ft.

flavious27

As a pedant Im sure you'll appreciate me pointing out that a costume area is akin to warehousing more than office and I believe in a solid all format costs around $75 per sq ft.

There is only so much that we can see from the tour. From these photos, it looks like a mix between the two.

47547271.jpg

With this tour video, there are offices that were built.

http://www.insidefashion.com/videos/view/3671

It would be a mix between a warehouse and office building, there is the added cost of having part of it as a 2 story building.

Chevross

lmapracticemoved.png

dhscoaster.png

But if it is a monsters inc coaster that is added, would this building really fit into with the buildings around it?

Yes the building will fit in, it may not exactly look like that, but Disney will find a way to make it work.

Slowjack

Indy can seat 2000 with 5 shows = 10,000

lma can seat 5000 with 2 shows = 10,000

Each have an extra show each week, so lma can have 3,000 more guests per week and 150,000 more each year.
Ah, I'm always glad when someone has the numbers. Thanks, that answers my question. I didn't realize the LMA grandstand was so much larger.

flavious27

Yes the building will fit in, it may not exactly look like that, but Disney will find a way to make it work.

I agree they will try to make it work, but come on, why build a monsters inc ride if you can't have the show building look like the one from the movie?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Just saying if they want to keep it the same as the layout they built 20 + years ago. Also, it saves on the size of the footprint.

The footprint of the building would be irrelevant if if was outside of a park....put it around the warehouse district north of DTD. There's no reason it need to be inside a theme park's boundaries. There's plenty of property available. :shrug:

jt04

lmapracticemoved.png

dhscoaster.png

Soundstage 1 could only partially hold the ride and most likely scenario is the backstage tour closing if they add the MI coaster.

Martin has been hinting for awhile that the tour is closing sooner rather than later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom