How much space does DHS have?

aladdin2007

Wow thats a fun map to play with.

Behind Sunset Blvd there is a large building that says operations building 3, could that ever be repurposed into an attraction? That whole side the park seems filled with offices and operation buildings.

PlaneCrazy1978

there are expansions plans that call for a 120 yard wide elevated 'deck' over the main entrace roadway and into the adjacent land... the deck would have grassy areas, structure, and would be indistinguishable from 'flat land' when crossy... kinda similar to the utilidoors at MK, only with a roadway beneath it instead.... the entrace to studios would then become 'tunnel' like in this section..

very bold plans.. but it offers a GREAT expasion space if needed/wanted

You mean, the land South of the main entrance? Isn't that conservation land? Or did you mean west over World Drive?

thewhitequeen

It's kind of a redundant question -- the have as much room as they want. If you are asking "within the current boundaries" they have plenty of room, and already have plans to do some tearing down and rebuilding (i.e. ride the Tram Tour while you can)...but the real theoretical answer is they have as much room as they want -- they can expand as far out of the current boundaries as they want. They OWN everything.

Oh good, they really need to get ride of that tour.

flavious27

I cant' find it anywhere, but do you remember that short preview video for DHS that had Jim Hensen where he was talking about the long forgotten Muppet ride - I think that video also had something about the expansion across World Drive.

But then again, that was 20 + years ago and I'm getting old...:)

Expansion over magic drive? That would look crazy.

NoChesterHester

To me, the best approaches for expanding this park are the elimination/relocation of the Animation Building to open up that area and/or eliminating the backlot area.

Remove the backlot tour and there is no need to expand the park beyond its current boundaries, at least not in my lifetime. That would leave approximately 25% more area than is already occupied back to public area of the Studios.

flavious27

Remove the backlot tour and there is no need to expand the park beyond its current boundaries, at least not in my lifetime. That would leave approximately 25% more area than is already occupied back to public area of the Studios.

The only part of the backlot tour that could be removed is the canyon, everything else is dual purposed.

The backlot area is dhs' backstage area, it can't be removed because it is needed to run the park.

The only way for dhs to expand is either use the 30+ acres between the south border of the park and the drainage canal, reconstruct the portion of the park that is used by the B&B theater and fantasmic, or expand into the parking lot.

The southern expansion could bring two lands if traditional rides are used. This land could be the site of a tron based land along with a cars land. Now this land could have 3 or 4 attractions if it stays will how dhs attractions use smaller footprints.

Reconstructing the land that is used by fantasmic and B&B could bring in atleast one maybe two attractions along with having two new amphitheaters. Fantasmic would be made into more of a plaza (like world of color) that would face the south lake, with a show with fireworks using that space. B&B theater can be remade into a proper theater, which could also have a two seatings each night for a dinner theater show.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The only part of the backlot tour that could be removed is the canyon, everything else is dual purposed.

The backlot area is dhs' backstage area, it can't be removed because it is needed to run the park..
Sorry. Big wrong.

It is this very area that should see the next expansion footprint when funding is found. And this will happen before any physical boundary expansion.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

The backlot area is dhs' backstage area, it can't be removed because it is needed to run the park.

Sorry. Big wrong.

It is this very area that should see the next expansion footprint when funding is found. And this will happen before any physical boundary expansion.

Are they going to bury all of the backstage operations?

Nope. Just relocate what they have to.

Makes sense to me. The costume shop, for example, handles sewing and costume creation for the whole property. It doesn't need to be at DHS...it could go anywhere -- the industrial areas north of MK or DtD for instance.

And the turnaround for the trams before driving through costuming is really quite a large area if used for humans rather than large trams. The Studio Bungalows don't, I don't think, have anthing that couldn't be moved elswhere on property either. And the building that house the prop room (the one beind the water effects area) that used to be part of the backstage tour is, I think, not used right now either. Put it all together with the unsued soundstage next to TSMM and there's a contguous space large enough to hold 1 huge attraction or 2 or 3 with smaller footprints.

flavious27

Nope. Just relocate what they have to.

The only thing that could be relocated is the costume center, but that would be a multi-million dollar project to gain at the most 80,000 sq feet.

There is tram storage and servicing that disney would need to find backstage at dhs, along with the other machinery back there. There is the LMA practice area that can not be moved unless they find the same size area near LMA.

Any kind of relocation of the backstage at DHS would need to have DHS expanded to compensate for that relocated backstage. DHS is going to be needed either way, it would be better to just use the expanded land for a new land or two.

Krack

The only thing that could be relocated is the costume center, but that would be a multi-million dollar project to gain at the most 80,000 sq feet.

There is tram storage and servicing that disney would need to find backstage at dhs, along with the other machinery back there. There is the LMA practice area that can not be moved unless they find the same size area near LMA.

In the event that DHS expands into and takes over the Backlot area, I believe that the Backlot Tour and LMA would disappear anyways. You wouldn't really need the tram service and stunt practice areas.

SeaCastle

In the event that DHS expands into and takes over the Backlot area, I believe that the Backlot Tour and LMA would disappear anyways. You wouldn't really need the tram service and stunt practice areas.

From what I understand, they would just demo the stunt practice area and relocate it to what I presume to be is the offramp from World Drive. I'm not sure how that figures into the new parking arrangement plans that they're planning for the Studios, but LMA is an extremely popular show.

I suppose once we start seeing relocation of backstage Studios facilities, we'll know that the Monsters Inc attraction is imminent.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Any kind of relocation of the backstage at DHS would need to have DHS expanded to compensate for that relocated backstage. DHS is going to be needed either way, it would be better to just use the expanded land for a new land or two.

Only if it were the military doing the bidding.

flavious27

It demoing LMA's 5,000 seat, concrete stadium be part of any expansion? It would have been a massive cost to build it and also large cost to get rid of it. As for the tram service area, isn't that where the parking trams stored and serviced?

PalisadesPkteer

From what I understand, they would just demo the stunt practice area and relocate it to what I presume to be is the offramp from World Drive. I'm not sure how that figures into the new parking arrangement plans that they're planning for the Studios, but LMA is an extremely popular show.

I suppose once we start seeing relocation of backstage Studios facilities, we'll know that the Monsters Inc attraction is imminent.

LMA is an extremely popular show? Really?

Popular maybe, but extremely popular? I have seen it 2 times total and have no desire to go back. It's an OK show but not a good repeat experience for me.

Would prefer a new show of some kind. or Pixar place expansion.

SeaCastle

LMA is an extremely popular show? Really?

Popular maybe, but extremely popular? I have seen it 2 times total and have no desire to go back. It's an OK show but not a good repeat experience for me.

Would prefer a new show of some kind. or Pixar place expansion.

I'm not sure how well your experiences jibe with the rest of guests who visit the Studios, because all three times I've seen it (during slower parts of the year, no less), it's been packed. Some insiders on here (probably tirian) have reported that the show receives very good numbers.

aladdin2007

I'm not sure how well your experiences jibe with the rest of guests who visit the Studios, because all three times I've seen it (during slower parts of the year, no less), it's been packed. Some insiders on here (probably tirian) have reported that the show receives very good numbers.

probably because its something to do, there arent that many choices at DHS really when you look at it as a whole.

Slowjack

No clue on the official numbers on LMA, but they only run the show twice a day when I'm there. The place was pretty full the last (& only) time I saw it, but still, I don't know how many visitors/day that equals compared to Indy, which runs more often.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom