How much of the DIS stock plummet is related to the parks? In particular, WDW..

Lilofan

If Disney continues down their current path others won't when the economy tanks and never say never --it has happened in the past and will happen again
2008/09 many lost their jobs, homes, property values and stock market tanked , etc, WDW dealt with it and survived.

Last edited:

Kamikaze

If Disney continues down their current path others won't when the economy tanks and never say never --it has happened in the past and will happen again
No it hasn't. Disney's parks have proven to be recession proof in the past.

That usually means they have to discount, sometimes heavily, but the parks have always drawn, no matter what. (Excluding COVID closures, obviously).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Its called supporting Disney with your hard earned money. If you do not, others will.
Recent and compelling evidence to the contrary
It’s already happening
2008/09 many lost their jobs, homes, property values and stock market tanked , etc, WDW dealt with it and survived.

That strategy worked then…but could very well be the reason it does NOT work if things get rough again.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So when is the economy going to tank?? Not any time soon with the 3rd quarter GDP hitting 4.9%.
Any info on the debt situation? Especially in the United States?
How about wages/earnings compared to cpi changes?
No it hasn't. Disney's parks have proven to be recession proof in the past.

That usually means they have to discount, sometimes heavily, but the parks have always drawn, no matter what. (Excluding COVID closures, obviously).
Disney parks have taken a major revenue hit in every recession since 1955…but their pricing model/strategy was able to accommodate them then versus now

Disney is trying to “hold the line” on selling rack single rooms at deluxes for $900 a night next year - I’m told - which is like from the 4th dimension.

Even when “kohls discounted” after the quarterly call is announced (wait for it…)…that brings them down to $600

There is no customer pool to pay for either of those…and the drought is making it smaller by the day.

Last edited:
The Walt Disney company has many buttons they can push before a complete collapse, there will always be people going to disney world even in the worst of economic times.

Splash4eva

The Walt Disney company has many buttons they can push before a complete collapse, there will always be people going to disney world even in the worst of economic times.
They may have many buttons to push and many ways to right the wrong it just seems like they are reluctant to use them. If & when they decide to do so. The damage may be done and it could be too late…. Not that stock price is everything but just look where this stock is now & with no real news that will lead to a sharp turn upwards… extremely happy i sold half my position in the 150-160 range and my avg cost is still below where its trading now but dam wish i sold more lol

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The flaw in that theory is that they can compensate for any slowdown with discounting

One of my old frequent, but goodies:

During the housing crash Iger discounted parks 20-40%…while raising base prices at the same time which was ingenious…and it was enough to keep steady flow.

So what if another downturn happens and…based on their prices and the majority of their FIRMLY MIDDLE CLASS clientele…that isn’t enough?

They’re already over that this year on rooms and some tickets…this year. “Good economy”

What if it that isn’t enough? What if it takes 40-60% or more for the traffic?
They can’t do it.

A few big canaries in the coalmines already.

Nubs70

Without getting political --what happens in the middle east will directly affect the US economy if things escalate beyond the current situation.
The biggest economic concern is stability in the energy supply.

Watching Flightradar24, I am seeing the most concentration of C17 trains from Europe to Isreal, Jordan, Cyprus, and Bagdad since the Kabul Airlift. Weapons are moving en mass.

The reason for this resupply is that prepositioned stockpiles were pulled and given to Ukraine.

Anyhow, a disruption to energy supply will negatively affect discretionary travel expenditures.

John park hopper

Many analysts are saying if this escalates to involve Iran oil could go to 150 a barrel or more which will put the breaks on our economy big time. The first to feel the effect will be Disney

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom